Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trulli

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff Member
Valued Member
The Melbourne GP saw a return to the action that we all want to see in F1 racing but for every diamond there are many lumps of coal so it's time for us Clippers to vote for our chump of the weekend.

Which driver really let the side down over the whole weekend? Which driver would have been better off putting his feet up in front of the TV this weekend?

There are plenty of candidates for this award but who deservers it the most? Would it be Hammy for losing the plot with his team, could it be Webber for spending more time off the track than on it or could it be Schuey who continues to prove that maybe his comeback wasn't the best idea after all?

Vote now and put up a post to justify your selection.

Webber for me.

He tried not once but twice to take out Hamilton and in the process ruined what would have been a decent points paying position for himself.

More importantly, also denied everyone what could have been a corker of a last lap fight between the 2 of them and Alonso.

I'd have to go for Hamilton on balance.

Failing to anticipate Webber's line on lap 16, damaging his own front wing and nudging Webber off the track, compromising both their races; darting in and out behind Alonso like a whirling dervish for lap after lap instead of keeping his head and following him through to turn three; trying to switch back after failing to go around the outside of Alonso, knowing full well Webber was right there; whingeing to his race engineer about his strategy and asking who made the call, and repeating to the media after the race that he'd find out who it was...

A bad end to a bad weekend for Hamilton, most of it of his own making.

Interesting perspective to say the least.

Mark has already accepted total blame for hitting Lewis stating that he lost grip and was unable to steer around him.

Mark Webber said:
"I was looking to get the run coming back out but when I got that close, the front wing just basically did not work – I could not get the car stopped," Webber said.

"It lifted up and I just locked up, tried to get more on the inside to make it wheel-to-wheel but in the end obviously I hit him with the front wing in the rear tyre.
The stewards would seem to agree with him considering they reprimanded him over the incident.

As for the darting around, I seem to remember 2 weeks ago people were complaining that no-one even made an attempt of a show, trying to distract the driver in front.
Martin Brundle made exactly that comment.
I'd have to say I agree with him, it's a tactic that has been used for decades and is perfectly valid.

Brogan said:
Interesting perspective to say the least.

Mark has already accepted total blame for hitting Lewis stating that he lost grip and was unable to steer around him.

Mark Webber said:
"I was looking to get the run coming back out but when I got that close, the front wing just basically did not work – I could not get the car stopped," Webber said.

"It lifted up and I just locked up, tried to get more on the inside to make it wheel-to-wheel but in the end obviously I hit him with the front wing in the rear tyre.

The stewards would seem to agree with him considering they reprimanded him over the incident.
I'm not suggesting Webber wasn't to blame for the later incident. I just think Hamilton could have better looked after his own interests instead of just expecting Webber to back off. I'm glad Webber only received a reprimand, and it was a good decision by the stewards.

I felt that Hamilton nudging Webber off on lap 16 was similar, but in reverse. Webber outbraked him and had the inside line. On the exit Hamilton clipped Webber's left rear and sent Webber off the track. You could say Hamilton tried to switch back but in the end obviously he hit Webber with the front wing in the rear tyre.

I also felt Massa should have been reprimanded for dangerous driving, weaving in front of Webber at 180mph on lap 24.

Brogan said:
As for the darting around, I seem to remember 2 weeks ago people were complaining that no-one even made an attempt of a show, trying to distract the driver in front.
Martin Brundle made exactly that comment.
I'd have to say I agree with him, it's a tactic that has been used for decades and is perfectly valid.
The problem was it didn't distract Alonso, it just ended up with Hamilton falling back corner after corner. It's a great tactic, but it's pointless doing it if it has no effect other than to keep losing you the opportunity to make a pass.

I think in this case i'm in agreement with Brogan and "Willy Webber" gets the wooden spoon this weekend. Possibly an element of trying to hard in front of the home crowd with reckless abondonment at times.

genji said:
I felt that Hamilton nudging Webber off on lap 16 was similar, but in reverse. Webber outbraked him and had the inside line. On the exit Hamilton clipped Webber's left rear and sent Webber off the track. You could say Hamilton tried to switch back but in the end obviously he hit Webber with the front wing in the rear tyre.

I Dunno Genji were we watching the same race? Yes your right Webber had the inside line but there the scenario stops, from that point i saw webber outbraked himself and understeered across the front of Lewis completely missing the apex of the corner thus leading to the contact. Also from the footage you can clearly see Lewis aborted his initial turn in when he realised Webber was in "noob" mode. LOL

slickskid said:
I Dunno Genji were we watching the same race? Yes your right Webber had the inside line but there the scenario stops, from that point i saw webber outbraked himself and understeered across the front of Lewis completely missing the apex of the corner thus leading to the contact. Also from the footage you can clearly see Lewis aborted his initial turn in when he realised Webber was in "noob" mode. LOL
I don't know, maybe I'm being too forgiving of Webber. He missed the apex but I don't think he missed the turn, not until Hamilton clipped him. There was plenty of space round the outside on Webber's trajectory. In any event, Hamilton could have avoided damaging his front wing by not turning in on Webber.

Don't think I'm trying to make out that Webber's some kind of driving Gog. He's made these kind of mistakes many times before. My intention isn't to defend Webber's genius but to point out that Hamilton could have avoided those incidents. Maybe not the later one as easily as the first one (although Hamilton didn't have to try to switch back on Alonso when he knew Webber was right there), but Hamilton made his own mistakes today above and beyond being forced to make two stops.

genji said:
(although Hamilton didn't have to try to switch back on Alonso when he knew Webber was right there)
He did if he wanted to race instead of just holding station.

Webber was going to be stuck to his gearbox until they crossed the line so it was irrelevant when Lewis tried the pass.
In fact, you could argue that the longer he held station the more vulnerable he was to Mark by having to manage 2 evolving situations; 1 in front and 1 behind.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one but I for the life of me can't see how anyone can blame Lewis for that incident in the slightest.

Brogan said:
genji said:
(although Hamilton didn't have to try to switch back on Alonso when he knew Webber was right there)
He did if he wanted to race instead of just holding station.

Webber was going to be stuck to his gearbox until they crossed the line so it was irrelevant when Lewis tried the pass.
In fact, you could argue that the longer he held station the more vulnerable he was to Mark by having to manage 2 evolving situations; 1 in front and 1 behind.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one but I for the life of me can't see how anyone can blame Lewis for that incident in the slightest.
No, Bro, me neither, as I've said:
genji said:
I'm not suggesting Webber wasn't to blame for the later incident.
:s

Mark appeared to make a lot of misjudgements today, and he gets my vote of no confidence. But I have to say that Felipe came very close to getting my vote just for the fact that he appeared so out of his depth. He did hook up a blinding start and once running in P2 he did a very good impersonation of an immovable object!

1st incident Mark vs Lewis: Mark appeared to outbrake himself and understeer off and Lewis did a rather good job of avoiding any serious damage.

2nd incident Mark vs Lewis: Lewis did a rather good job of avoiding a collision with Fernando who had outbraked himself. There was no chance for Lewis to cut down the inside, he must have been quite relieved he had room round the outside. That would have lasted about 0.2 seconds before Mark hit him, having misjudged the loss of downforce and increased braking distance required.

Sorry to say, on watching this I saw the two of them closing on the Ferrari's and said to the other half that we would be in for a cracking finish as long as Webber doesn't run true to form and take out Hamilton whilst he's trying to focus on the Ferraris..... Sure enough, the car killer struck again.

If Webber's head for racing as half as good as his instincts he's be vying for a back to back world championship right now - unfortunately this (these) incident(s) was just another nail in the coffin of my respect for him - I believe he's ruined more cars (OK, expecially his own) as a result of hot headed mistakes than Schumacher, Alonso and Hamilton combined. Shame really :dunno:

Gotta be Webber for me. He just steamed right into Lewis and all day looked out of control at crucial moments. The fact that he ruined my FF1 score doesn't help!

And sorry guys, but when I watched the race I was certain that Lewis damaged his front wing when he overtook Felipe on the home straight. When Webber went off in the first incident, Mark simply steamed straight off the track in desperation - couldn't see any contact between him and Hamilton. The highlights are on the Beeb website anyway if you need to check :)

Hamilton did too much right to mix with the wrong this weekend, he was a bit interesting. [Dis]Honourable mention to Schumacher.

But Chump of the Weekend for Australia 2010 must be Mark Webber for binning a second on the grid with a daft tyre change, taking the second tyre stop when unnecessary and his two attempts to collide with Lewis Hamilton, with the second the most successful.

While Webber is the tempting choice I think I agree with theory that he was trying to hard infront of his home crowd. Hamilton has to be the one for me.

It all went wrong for him in Qually yesterday and then he managed to turn triumph in to disaster during the race. Of course being bumped by Webber didn't help but moaning to the team on the radio really didn't help his efforts at the time. There's nothing like driving angry to ensure mistakes are made.

Sorry Lewis but Australia just hasn't been kind to you these last few years. It will be interesting to see how the team dynamic develops at Mclaren now that Button has laid down a marker and proved any my word it pains me to say this, that he deserves to be where he is. It's too early to suggest that Hamilton may "go Alonso" but it will be interesting to watch how he handles a more confident Button from here on in.

I'm struggling to understand how someone who qualified 11th, got up to 3rd and then finished 6th (would have been 5th if not for Webber and possibly 1st if not for his pitstop where he lost 4 places due to being held before he was released) can be chump of the weekend :s

Yes his qualifying wasn't great but it wasn't due to any mistakes, he just wasn't fast enough as he said himself.
He more than redeemed himself during the race though.

Brogan said:
I'm struggling to understand how someone who qualified 11th, got up to 3rd and then finished 6th (would have been 5th if not for Webber and possibly 1st if not for his pitstop where he lost 4 places due to being held before he was released) can be chump of the weekend :s

Yes his qualifying wasn't great but it wasn't due to any mistakes, he just wasn't fast enough as he said himself.

He more than redeemed himself during the race though.

All very valid points Bro, and almost certainly wouldn't have been in for a shout for this title if we'd never heard his petulant outburst on the Radio. Let's be honest, he had a terrible qually, had a word with the local boys in Blue and then had a silly outburst on the radio just when it appeared he was putting himself right back in the hunt. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who rolled his eyes and went just shut up and drive.

All in all, it wasn't a great weekend for Lewis.

Back
Top Bottom