1982 Monaco Grand Prix

The Artist.....

Champion Elect
I've just been thinking about the 1982 Monaco Grand Prix... I'm not sure that we'll ever see a race like it... Rain in the final laps spelt the end of many leaders, and in the end, only 1 car actually finished the race distance...

1st: Riccardo Patrese - for his first ever win, but only after having spun the car on the damp track a couple of laps later
2nd Didier Pironi - But had run out of petrol on the final lap. Had he not run out of petrol, he would have won
3rd Andrea de Cesaris - As with Pironi, he'd run out of petrol on the final lap and parked slightly less far round the lap
4th Nigel Mansell - Still running, albeit a lap adrift
5th Elio de Angelis - as with Mansell
6th Derek Daly - Had lost his rear wing in an accident, and only classified as completing 74 laps.
7th Alain Prost - Crashed out of the lead on the damp track

What an utterly chaotic race!

i watched that race in full during lockdown & it was absoulte madness. as i love that nobody knew what was happening in them laps & 1 driver that was out because of everyone else was somehow back in

I watched it live, one of the BBC'S better performances and it showed the best wet drivers, but again the rules were bent to favour a crashed driver, was it because he was French or just favoured, Verstappen wasn't the first

I watched it live, one of the BBC'S better performances and it showed the best wet drivers, but again the rules were bent to favour a crashed driver, was it because he was French or just favoured, Verstappen wasn't the first
1982 - are you sure you're not thinking of 1984?

1982 was the race that no-one wanted to win!

Back
Top Bottom