Would you race in Bahrain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry Bro' but the way I see it South Africa has changed and China is making change. Bahrain's rulers are digging in and blowing people away and smashing their religious houses. They too are changing ... for the worst.

China continues to commit human rights abuses.

F1 raced in South Africa under Apartheid.
There is a chance for the fans to influence the staging of this GP. It has not been rescheduled, we have a chance to influence whether it is or not.

Did you have the chance to boycott South African sports events, if so did you do so?
When it is decided that Bahrain will not be staged I will consider China, this thread is about Bahrain.

I sense some tension here. Let's relax a little, take a deep breath .... in ...out .... and chill. We can debate without winding each other up. That's one of the things that's best about this site and why it is superior to it's competition.:friends:

Brogan :thumbsup: I know you're only playing Devils Advocate and it's a very valid question that we should all ask.

Any ways, my point was for me, race as it will make a statement for sport against political despots. Sport is a powerful symbol though I think more than a few expensive cars is needed.

Sarinaide, the problem is it's the regime that will benefit financially and in order to make sure they portray a sense of calm and well being, many people will be rounded up and treated appallingly.

I think a little more than a F1 boycott will fix the situation, sad thing is that these countries are not UNITED NATIONS treatied states making intervention more of a state aggression, hence why the coalition hasn't exactly covered itself in glory.

I don't believe it would be wise to hold a race in Bahrain, because it could serve as a reminder of the opulence of the ruling classes. There is a circuit there on a whim of the Crown Prince.

Thus the Grand Prix is a symbol of the monarchy, and thus could serve as a magnet for renewed protests, and considering what happened last time, violence.

Therefore, I do not believe the safety of the paddock can be guaranteed, and thus the Grand Prix should not be held.

One thing I would say is, if the race isn't staged wouldn't he then be in breach of the contract which is to stage a GP with at least 16 cars (or something like that)

I am in no way though saying that Bernie should ignore the situation just so he won't lose out on money. Once that contracts signed though he may have no choice.

One thing I would say is, if the race isn't staged wouldn't he then be in breach of the contract which is to stage a GP with at least 16 cars (or something like that)

I am in no way though saying that Bernie should ignore the situation just so he won't lose out on money. Once that contracts signed though he may have no choice.
Surely no contract would be enforceable in cases of civil unrest or other such danger to life and limb?

Surely no contract would be enforceable in cases of civil unrest or other such danger to life and limb?

You would think not but we (i'm guessinn you don't either) have much of an idea of what those contracts are like.

The problem though is this hasn't really happened before and while one part of the country is saying there is a problem, the other isn't, so there may be a lack of anything official saying that things like the contract are worthless

From a contractual point of view the get-out would rest on clauses with regard to the "duty of care" whereby the regime should be required to guarantee the health, safety and well being of those directly and indirectly involved in and / or affected by the event. Since this cannot be guaranteed without the regime's imposition of oppressive measures, which would, by virtue of the nature of said measures, adversely affect the health, safety and welfare of many of the inhabitants of Bahrain itself; a breach of contract would, in theory, be on the part of Bahrain and not on the part F1. If I can :thinking:that up, I see no reason why the legal experts in the field cannot do the same.:)

There is a chance for the fans to influence the staging of this GP. It has not been rescheduled, we have a chance to influence whether it is or not.

Did you have the chance to boycott South African sports events, if so did you do so?
When it is decided that Bahrain will not be staged I will consider China, this thread is about Bahrain.

One must wonder how we can influence anything in F1.
No matter what we write the only people who read it are other fans.
Do you really think that Bernie even looks at CTA, and even if he does do you seriously think that he would take any notice.
So we all elect not to watch it on TV. Out of the millions who do watch F1 we account for such a tiny fraction that no one would even notice.

I admire your stance on this, and personally feel that Bahrain should under no circumstances go ahead.But there is not a damned thing that I can do about it or for that matter many many injustices happening in the world today.

Why would the powers that be want to confuse themselves by trying to accommodate the many conflicting sentiments on the interweb? Divided we stand ruled!LOL

There was an article in the Times just yesterday about this very matter (can't link to it as the Times is behind a paywall)

The planned return of Formula One to Bahrain has become a fresh flashpoint with pro-democracy protesters threatening to disrupt the revival of a sporting event aimed at repairing the country's damaged international reputation.

I think that sums it up really, unless the authorities round up all the protesters before October (therefore risking more deaths and violence) or they hold the race within a ring of steel (what's to stop protesters buying tickets) I can't see it going ahead.

Personally I think it would be idiotic and hugely crass to go to Bahrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom