Williams - the inexorable slide...

Great stuff: Lotus-Renault and Williams-Renault.

Now what I want is McLaren-Honda, Force India to rename themselves Jordan and stick a Hart engine (Are they still around?), Mercedes to call themselves Tyrrell (Which they should be!) and Jackie Stewart to be team manager at Red Bull.

Or am I being too nostalgic?

I spotted this in this article.Does that mean that Cosworth are out of the running for 2014 as well.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92853 Williams chairman Adam Parr sees no reason why his team's new partnership with Renault cannot hit the ground running straightaway in 2012.
The Grove-based outfit announced on Monday that it was renewing its successful tie-up with French car manufacturer Renault from next year, in the latest of a string of major changes that are taking place at the team.
"We did explore that with Cosworth – could we bring a car maker into the partnership? Unfortunately we were not able to do that. From that minute onwards, it is Cosworth who said that we cannot develop an engine for 2013, and I can understand that because it is a huge investment.

I am confused...I thought engine manufacturers can only supply three teams? Won't this be be four for Renault? :s

I am confused...I thought engine manufacturers can only supply three teams? Won't this be be four for Renault? :s

I believe the engine in the RB7s is badged as an Infiniti engine, although on the official F1 website it says it has Renault engine so I'm not sure. Unless currently it is the Renault engine and they'll only rebrand it in 2012.

Even then, it's stretching the rules isn't it? I expect Ferrari, Mercedes and Cosworth to protest if another team bags the "Infiniti" engine while the Renault one already has three existing customers...

Even then, it's stretching the rules isn't it? I expect Ferrari, Mercedes and Cosworth to protest if another team bags the "Infiniti" engine while the Renault one already has three existing customers...

Well, Sauber-Petronas was on the grid for a long time, and Prost-Acer also appeared. The Renault RS9 appeared under the names Mechachrome, Supertec and Playlife at some point.

The rebadge is a reasonably old art, which as I've demonstrated ballooned in the late 90s!

I'm pleased for Williams, I hope they can at least go somewhere other than the abyss.

That's not to say they'll necessarily want to keep Rubens on though. New brooms and all that.

What they really need is to get Newey back, or even better find the next Newey (is that Mike Coughlan? not so sure) and get Lewis Hamilton, then they'll be in business again.

That's not to say they'll necessarily want to keep Rubens on though. New brooms and all that.

What they really need is to get Newey back, or even better find the next Newey (is that Mike Coughlan? not so sure) and get Lewis Hamilton, then they'll be in business again.

I agree with that.Williams are in the process of having a good clear out and restructuring proramme and hopefully they can return to their former winning ways.
Coughlan could well design a decent car.But as fond as I am of Ol Ruby I do think that Williams need a younger hard charger to drive them forward.

The FIA rules were relaxed to allow an engine manufacturer to supply four teams, not too sure if this relaxation of this rule applies this year but it's definitely applies to next year..

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92877
He said the deal with Williams was only natural given the successful partnership both enjoyed in the past.
"It was important because the goal of Renault was to provide four teams and we have such a fantastic history with Williams in the past due to the quality of the relationship. So to choose a partnership with Williams was something quite natural.
"We started speaking last year and it was impossible to finish last year, and we were nearly ready to sign before the V6. But with the V6 situation things were delayed a little, so we asked for the green light from Jean Todt (for a fourth engine supply deal) and he said okay. From a technical and a marketing perspective it is a very good deal."
Caubet denied, however, plans of taking share into any teams or buy its way back into the sport.

Sadly, being a great admirer of Rubens, I would have to say that, if Williams retain him for next year, then they really are headed down a black hole. He is several years past it, and, while his experience was helpful with youthful newcomers driving alongside him, that should not be the case next year. I would like to see either Hulk or Grosjean get the seat. I don't think Grosjean got a fair chance his previous time in F1.

Sadly, being a great admirer of Rubens, I would have to say that, if Williams retain him for next year, then they really are headed down a black hole. He is several years past it, and, while his experience was helpful with youthful newcomers driving alongside him, that should not be the case next year. I would like to see either Hulk or Grosjean get the seat. I don't think Grosjean got a fair chance his previous time in F1.

They have to stop taking rookies if they want to go up the WCC table, Timo Glock would be a good choice.

Back
Top Bottom