Will Michael Schumacher be back in 2013?

Will Michael Schumacher be back in 2013?

• Total voters
Schumacher was talented to a degree, but like others, I'm not convinced that he was all he was cracked up to be if left to his own devices. All in the past.

Now, I think his talent and abilities have waned - he is just getting in the way of someone who can possibly move the Mercedes up a notch. I actually find his mishaps and current inability to cope/perform quite degrading - for both him, the team and the audience.

Schumacher was talented to a degree, but like others, I'm not convinced that he was all he was cracked up to be if left to his own devices. All in the past.

Now, I think his talent and abilities have waned - he is just getting in the way of someone who can possibly move the Mercedes up a notch. I actually find his mishaps and current inability to cope/perform quite degrading - for both him, the team and the audience.

I disagree. Michael worked very hard at being good, because he isn't the natural that people like Senna were, and Hamilton and Alonso are. Some of his misdemeanours overshadow the performances he put in prior to 1994, from the debut in the Jordan, to winning at Spa.

He still has the ability to put in a performance, as the "pole" at Monaco, and the last race at Valencia (mixed with a bit of luck admittedly) prove. Will any of the current crop of stars be able to compete at the level he is when they are his age? If they are still racing, I would severely doubt it. Without the reliability issues and a bit of brainfade at Barcelona, he could have been well in the mix. Having said that, I don't see him doing more than one more season, and he may well retire this year, especially if he wins a race.

Spa or Monza maybe?

If it was any other driver, I don't think they'd still be at Mercedes going into this year let alone talking about next year.

If it was any other driver, I don't think they'd still be at Mercedes going into this year let alone talking about next year.

Why? If Rosberg had Schumacher's car this year, he'd be nowhere too. Schumacher did pretty well last year.

If it was a debutant and he had the same performances as Schumacher in 2010 and 2011 the pressure on him would be a lot more than it is for Schumacher

Schumacher has been very good so far this year, apart from hitting Senna which was a bit of a silly accident (but by no means completely Michael's fault mind you). Were it not for reliability problems, and the penalty resulting from hitting Senna, it is likely that Schumacher would be very close to Rosberg having also won a race. He still tends to be slower than Nico in qualifying, but in the race there's very little between them IMO.

I think Michael version 2012 warrants a place on the grid based on his race pace, but I wouldn't begrudge Mercedes if they replace him with a proven future talent in the Di Resta or Perez mould. If that happens I can't see him wanting to continue in a team with little/no hope of podiums/victories.

I haven't voted in the poll, my answer is basically "it's up to Ross Brawn".

I think he'll be back if the opportunity's there, he seems to be enjoying himself. His best days seem to definitely be behind him, but he's clearly still quick. The ruthless nature hasn't dwindled, certainly ...

MCLS You're definetly right, but whatever way you look at it, he is a seven time world champion, so he can't be treated the way any other rookie would be treated. And at least to me him being in F1 makes it much more interesting/exciting. So I really hope he'll be back:)

You can't pay keep Schumacher £20m or so on the basis he helps the marketing profile of Mercedes if he is not delivering on the track

Problem is what the big wigs at Mercedes really want being in F1. Sell more cars in which it helps to have Schumacher then or actually win the drivers and constructors titles as team for the first time in nearly 60 years

Surely they are cheaper drivers who have more years left in them than Schumacher and cost cheaper to deliver the results like Di Resta

It would be an expensive investment for Mercedes to go through all the trouble of paying £500m to split from Mclaren and also get Schumacher back if they are more concerned about road car sales

Each year it will get tougher for Schumacher as even more younger drivers arrive on the grid and he is getting older

The argument that things should be getting tougher as the years go by is fully logical, but up to now it's not what has happened. Is this because he is still rediscovering his speed? When will this stop? It's not apparent that it has done so until now, so I wouldn't use this criterion for evaluation purposes. Additionally, I really wouldn't go into the debate about how much Schumacher costs Mercedes, as we don't know precise figures, in particular in regards to how much revenue and exposure he provides for the team.

So the main aspect to look at would be his performance level. If my opinion were asked and valued, I would say that 2010 was a big disappointment, particularly until its last quarter. Since then, Schumacher has been at Rosberg's speed in the races, but duly outqualified throughout 2011. Also, he committed to a fair number of uninspired moves last year which, coupled with reliability related DNFs set him behind Rosberg in the standing, but I'd really say they were evenly matched in 2011, as far as race speed is concerned.

2012 seems to be a completely different experience. I can't say yet if Rosberg still has an edge in qualifying or not, because it's not at all clear to me. Just based on results, they are 5-4 in Rosberg's favor, but Schumacher had a DRS failure in Bahrain, he didn't run in Q3 in Spain and he failed to set a proper time in Q3 in Canada. Also, it's worth noting that until yesterday, Rosberg was the best qualifier on the grid, as far as the average starting position is concerned.

In races, Schumacher finished four out of nine. In those four, he finished ahead of Rosberg three times, and when he didn't it was because he had to start from 22nd after the aforementioned DRS failure. In Australia he was considerably ahead when his car failed and in Monaco he would've been ideally positioned to win. So I'd say he was arguably better than Rosberg in most races, thanks first of all to his improved qualifying form.

There are two questions which I assume he will consider, beyond the foregone assumption that he still wants to race. The first is whether he can be consistently fast, which we've not been truly able to gauge due to the many problems he's had this year. The second is whether it makes any sense to continue. Can Mercedes offer a car that is reliably fast and which allows him to at least challenge for podiums on his own strength? There's nothing to be gained in outdriving anyone if you end up 6th-7th-8th.

I reckon that if things go reasonably well in the next three races and the decision is to be made within six weeks, he will want to stay on another year to see the fruit of their labor - i.e. what the combined efforts of Bob Bell and Aldo Costa can bring to the car.

It's a pretty unfortunate situation and it goes for anyone on the grid.

Ideally, you're in top form and everything goes your way when the car is competitive. Otherwise, you might be at your best, but the car just doesn't allow you a rightful reward.

In a way it's shame, and this really applies to Rosberg too, that a perfect qualifying doesn't really reward you nowadays. If the car doesn't have race pace, chances are you'll be slotted in accordingly. That's why Rosberg's far superior results in quali last year had little value to them and didn't offer him a huge advantage over Schumacher, who generally started 3-4 positions lower on the grid. It's been said that Schumacher set up his car more towards the race, but that's very hard to judge.

If you look at the situation at Red Bull and compare it to last year, it becomes ever more apparent that sometimes the car suits both drivers, sometimes it doesn't. Frankly speaking, this great relativity makes me wonder how you can define known quantities. Drivers will be fast, like Perez, Kobayashi, Maldonado, etc. but can they be consistent and can they rise to the occasion? That's what makes the difference in the end and it's not easy to deal with the pressure of expectations. It's something Rosberg still has to do, despite his excellent win in China.

That's only because he got so fed up of people writing that the greatest driver ever was Marco Ardigo, so he decided to take him on in karting...... (606 reference....)

Who says Schumacher is scared of a strong team mate? Ardigo is acknowledged (at least on 606, along with the other guy - Davide Fore?) as the World's best Karter!

He'll have his work cut out to beat those guys.

Back
Top Bottom