Weird Science

You can put as much weight as you like on the table as long as you put slightly greater weight in the buckets and it doesn't exceed the ultimate tensile strength of the string or any of the anchor points...

The three Jesus's of Ypsilanti 1959:

What happens if you bring three men together who all think they are Jesus? American psychologist Milton Rokeach tried it. The three Christs of Ypsilanti as they soon became called lived for two years together in the State Psychiatric Clinic at Ypsilanti near Detroit.

Rokeach hoped the confrontation with each other would cure them.

But each of them found a perfect reason why the other two were impostors. One of the explanations by one of the Jesus's was disarmingly logical in it's own way: He maintained that the other two couldn't be Jesus because they were self-evidently patients in a psychiatric institution.

You can't argue with a man who has faith.....

There's probably a simple answer to the following question but I've no idea what it is. Maybe someone more technically-minded than myself can provide me with an explanation?

I had a slightly spooky moment the other day at home and pottering about, when voices suddenly came out of the guitar amp. Once past the initial surprise I realised it was picking up a radio conversation from within a mini-cab station, controllers to drivers.

Is it some kind of odd magnetic interference or something with the amp catching random radio frequencies?

Incubus If your guitar was plugged in then it is probably due to lack of shielding of the electronics cavity, and potting of the pickups or a grounding issue (disconnected ground somewhere in your guitar/cable/amp/building.) or oxidation of a connection somewhere (like your guitar in jack.) If it happens even with the guitar unplugged, and there isn't a grounding issue, one fix might be to add a ferrite bead/choke to your power cable, where it goes into the amp also try cleaning the jack or getting a new cable.

Last edited:
Incubus - You didn't say whether or not the guitar was plugged into an effects pedal. Early and vintage design wah-wah pedals are especially prone to picking up radio transmissions but I've also experienced those issues with early flangers and phasers. Making sure you have good shielding and earthing are, as Mephistopheles suggests, the main fixes. However, in some forty-five years playing electric guitar I don't recall having the problem without an effects unit being part of the equation. That's not to say it doesn't happen though.

I think Mephistopheles might have a point about a probable grounding issue because notthing was plugged into the amp other than the mains, and that's an old amp I've had for a dozen years and it's never happened anywhere else I've lived in during that time.
Still, a bit startling when that happened though.

I was on the phone to the office one day when we got a crossed line. I do know that the man wanted a woman with big boobs and the girl at the other end was saying that she thought that would be possible but I don't know what the financial arrangement was. The odd thing about this was that I was in the Post Office Research Centre (it was some years ago) at Martlesham Heath. Maybe one of the engineers there had fixed it for his own amusement.

Edit to correct stupid stupid typo. Mind you, he may have wanted big boots as well!

Last edited:
All this does is prove to me that Alcohol is the righteous stuff and that if there is a god he was pissed out of his swede when he created the universe and us I'll bet he went home after a 6 day bender with a traffic cone on his head and proclaimed the 7th day as a day of unconsciousness, and when he woke up he looked out and said to himself "What the **** have I done." which was a completely rhetorical question as no answer could be provided..

Edit

Question.

If there is a god, who created him/her/it?

Last edited:
... because the life-forms that were to eventually evolve had not even been a primordial slime as comets had not yet been able to seed the bubbling cauldron of coalescing material that would become planets, because they hadn't solidified and cooled down yet, with water and biochemical ingredients for life so that no sentient life-forms existed to answer back ...

Apparently, on the fourth day, God created the Sun the Moon and the stars. This does beg the question how did he know this was the fourth day if the Sun hadn't been hanging about before then giving day and night.

He used the scratches on the wall technique relying on his own biological clock. Later, much later, he told man, who was writing down everything he said on some parchment which would later, much later, be copied and put in a best seller, that all this stuff he did with the cosmos he did a day at a time, and it was so. :moustache: (nearest we have to a god smiley)

Back
Top Bottom