Current Toro Rosso

Discussion in 'Teams' started by FB, Jul 27, 2011.

1. RasputinLives

RasputinLives Not dead Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Just like McLaren for last 3 years then?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

No RasputinLives I expect the Honda engine to have progressed by next season, but not enough to be real competition for Mercedes or Ferrari.

4. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    If I'm honest I don't think we'll notice too much difference at the front. Red Bull have shown they can build around an engine with lower power and still be just about competitive at most tracks. Whether they'll be less reliable or not is the question. The obvious answer is yes but let's face it they've not been bullet proof with the renault either.

5. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    Red Bull thinks they could have still won with the Honda engine.. the one track where the Honda engine did seem to work was Bahrain so a better chassis bolted to it might have been the case

6. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    The Honda engine might still be underpowered and a little unreliable but it appears there are circuits that the Toro Rosso turns up at and has genuine pace. Hungary and Bahrain being the primary ones so far.

Do we think that is all down to the chassis or does the Honda engine just suit some places? They are getting better performance than McLaren at these tracks with arguably a worse driver pairing. So is that due to Torro Rosso having a better car or a Honda improvement?

7. The Artist.....

The Artist..... Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    At the 2017 Hungarian Grand Prix, the McLarens started 7th and 8th, and finished 6th and 10th
    At the 2018 Hungarian Grand Prix, the Toro Rossos started 6th and 8th, and finished 6th and 11th.

McLaren have undoubtedly gone backwards this season, but this may have a lot to do with the compromises on the chassis to integrate the Renault engine. We will only get a real guide for whether it was the right move to dump Honda next year.

Galahad likes this.
  8. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    Yeah but Bharian 2017 the McLaren's started 15th and 17th and then came home with a 14th and a DNS. Whilst in Bharain 2018 Torro Rosso started 6th and 11th and came home with a 4th and a DNF. So clear progress.

My question wasn't really about McLaren though it was more about which element is it that is making the Torro Rosso competitive at selected circuits - is it the chassis or is the Honda engine coming to life in certain scenarios?

9. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    It's the genius driving of Brendan Hartley.

RasputinLives likes this.
  10. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    the Toro Rosso was good at Monaco, Bahrain and Hungary. Two of the three tracks were slow, low corner speed circuits so power is not important but chassis shows having much better grip and performance so you can argue that compared with Mclaren's performances

I can;t explain Bahrain at the moment

11. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    I bet Lando Norris wishes he'd took that Torro Rosso seat now.

12. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    The timing of this tweet from Red Bull about their junior programme can't really be a coincidence.

Red Bull Racing on Twitter

Maybe a reminder that Dan Ticktum is not far off getting a super licence and being eligible for promotion to F1.

13. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    What happens next year because if gasly goes. Because hartley is likely going & ticktum is probally 2020 for superlicense reasonz. So could be 2 non redbull backed drivers at a red bull sister team

& i dont rate him highly enough yet. In last yr of GP2 he won in hindsight in an easier year. Also he was in his 3rd season & giovinanzzi was a rookie. If giovinanzzi hadnt give his teammate a 4 race headstart. He mightve been champ instead of losing by 8pts

14. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    Red Bull want to promote Dan Ticktum who was not allowed to test because he was banned for a year due to ... dangerous driving

Lando Norris might still replace Vandoorne at Spa according rumours so Vandoorne might go to Toro Rosso - 4 years later as part of the deal to get James Key to Mclaren

It will be interesting to see whose career Mclaren see as less important so to speak

Carlos Sainz will not go back to Toro Rosso - he does not want to and Red Bull are not gaining anything out if it but they seem to be worried about the intensive rivalry he and Verstappen will have

Gasly therefore has a chance getting promoted to Red Bull something I did not see

15. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    Yeah Ticktum got a year ban from all Motorsport for overtaking 10 cars under SC conditions to get up to where a rival was (Ricky Collard) so he could drive in to him deliberately as pay back for being taken off earlier in the race.

If Ticktum wins F3 this year though he does get his superlicence.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  16. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    RasputinLives THat is the only Red Bull junior who is being pushed because they seem to have burned them all out before their careers are fully developed

17. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    Interesting from ted kravitz on the notebook. that the new honda engine is fantastic they reportedly have a gain on 0.5 - 0.6 with this upgrade. it seems finally after 4 years of being too loud, over promising, raising expectations & under delivering. They gotten their acts together & realised instead of making ludicrous predictions. stay in the background & quietly improve

18. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

Is that horse power?:D

Galahad and F1Brits_90 like this.
  19. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    Yeah its a mclaren special LOL

But no they think from FP1 & FP2 running/comparison. Its half a second a lap

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice