Television Top Gear

I've no idea mate. I think the crew were pretty annoyed by it from what I've read in the papers and posted above. I think the guy involved didn't complain because Clarkson went to the bosses first and 'fessed up.

There's nothing to that effect on the BBC website at the moment. The last story they have is from yesterday which says he's set to return to the BBC and host HIGNFY.

Yep as it said in the article, the Police spoke to Mr Tymon and he did not want the Police to take action. As I said above, he didn't complain to the Police, there's not much else the Police can do.

I'm not sure how the law works if a bloke murders someone then the victim can't complain but the murderer will still be prosecuted, assault is a crime and should be prosecuted whether there is a complaint by the victim or not, or is this why wife beaters get away with kicking the shit out of their spouses?

Having looked it up. As far as I can see, the police would have investigated to determine the type of Assault that was caused. It sounds very much like it fell under common assault which is only prosecuted on complaint.

This is the definition of Common Assault.

This is any act by which a person intentionally or recklessly causes another to apprehend immediate unlawful violence. Such an act must be with the intent being calculated in that persons mind to cause apprehension or fear in the mind of the victim. Therefore, where there is no intent, there will be not be an assault, UNLESS, that the person who assaulted another, ( and it was conclusive by way of evidence), that the person was indeed reckless as to the other person would in all probability have indeed apprehended that immediate unlawful violence would be used.

Therefore Clarkson may have been guilty of Common Assault but the police will only action this on receipt of a formal complaint. This also applies to offences such as vandalism, petty theft and other less serious offences.

I guess there is no point in clogging up the courts with every single scuffle that happens on a daily basis all over the country and lets face it most of us are guilty of exactly what Clarkson did, but he's a celeb which makes him fair game for the blood hounds....

Last edited:
I'm covered by a different set of regulations. If I'd have gone to my boss and yelled at her for 20 minutes and then gave her a punch the following section of the Armed Forces act 2006 would apply:

11 Misconduct towards a superior officer
  • Using violence against a superior officer
  • Threatening behaviour or communication to a superior officer
Trial by Summary hearing - Maximum sentence 10 years' imprisonment

I wasn't necessarily talking about hit a boss although like I have already admitted I am guilty of that I meant in general getting annoyed with someone and then giving them a slap, I think most people have done that..

yeah, but it's all about circumstances though isn't it. Which ever way you look at it, there's no way he was going to keep his job.

Edit - I originally meant to say his position was untenable not there was no way his position was untenable. I really must check my posts more carefully as I end up having to edit every other one. Sorry for the context change Meph.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom