The Tour de France

I think Cav was poorly led out and the uphill finish combined to mean that he was on the back foot. He needed to be robust if he was going to stand any chance in the last 200 and he got it wrong.
It was great to see Jens Voigt climbing into the Polka Dots, I think he's a great cyclist, also Fabien Cancellara's little break for the line was quite spicey (and contributed to Cav's problems?).
Today another of my favourites, Tommy Voeckler, had a little go but as has been the case last and this season it was doomed.
So far, a great start to the Tour Of France, and all should be pleased of the way Yorkshire has played host.

Forgot about Greipel. Shocked Sagan didn't do more to try to win knowing he had the best sprint out there today, but he will always be there contending and could surprise Greipel and Kittel. Interesting to see if any other sprinters step up to play.

Interesting that Joaquim Rodriguez has already lost 14 minutes, as has Rafal Majka, who is not well known and has never ridden in the tour but finished 7th and 6th in the last two Giros. Should be interesting to see them in the mountains riding relatively unmarked.

Really bummed Quintana isn't here, but really excited to see what Rui Costa can do now that he's not riding for Valverde and Quintana and riding for himself instead.

Also nice to see Rolland is still crazy and Nibali still has the legs, and Kwiatkowski can still do just about everything. Talanksy looks dangerous, and watch out for the crazy Frenchman like Rolland, Riblon and Pinot in the mountains, as well as the Colombians of course.

In the end, Froome is almost certain to win this, he just looks too good and is too strong not to, especially with Quintana and Rodriguez already out of the picture. His only serious threat may be Nibali, Valverde and maybe even his incredible teammate Richie Porte.

This has been soccerman's two stage too late Tour preview.

I agree, Contador is the biggest threat, he got it wrong (Just) on the Dauphine but he has the climbing legs and the ability for challenging bursts to steal it. The pavé is the next big challenge for the Gen Classification riders, if a name gets punished there it could blow wide open or confirm the hot favourite early on.

I shall see if I can get to see these chaps on the Embankment this afternoon, a short stroll from the office. Maybe even pick up a boris bike and join in!

A view from a non-cyclist type on yesterday's festivities in South Yorkshire...

It was splendid! A genuine party atmosphere in my village (just after the Cote d'Oughtibridge), and even though each group whizzed past in a matter of seconds, it was well worth the wait just for the sense of occasion overall.

In fact, I didn't mind missing the British GP to experience the event! A once-in-a-lifetime deal, and a hugely memorable one, at that.
:moustache:

My view of the grand depart! You can see why I headed home and watched it all on TV!

image.jpg

Tomorrow the cobblestones of Paris-Roubaix. Lots of rain, so it's gonna be the hell of the north (which is the nickname for Paris-Roubaix and it originated from the 1919 edition, when after WW1 a reporter described the race "as if it was run through the hell", because the landscape was pretty desolate and in shambles after 4 years of war"). Not coincidentally it's 100 years after WW1.
I expect some casualties tomorrow as well, it's pretty sure some of the favorites will lose some time and most likely at least one of will be involved in a crash which will end his tour.

Last edited:
A hurt wrist will hurt a lot on cobbles, but I don't see Froome giving up easily, the dudes a highly motivated machine.

Also the winner tomorrow will be either Cancellara, Terpstra, Tom Jelte Slagter or Tom Dumoulin. I am willing to bet 20 brogans on that.

EDIT: I meant Greg van Avermaet not Tom Dumoulin.

Last edited:
Will Sky allow Geraint Thomas of the lead? He could do well if they do, he seems quite good on the rough stuff.

Which is a shame, there are 7 other riders who can look after Froomey, although I have a feeling that the Sky train could derail a little on this stage. If I was in charge, I would let GT go for it, at least to try and take something away from the other GC contenders.

The other 7 aren't as good on the cobbles as Thomas, only Eisel comes near. And compared to the overall win, this stagewin doesn't really matter.
Since Sky isn't as impressive as the last two years (which is a good thing imo) there is indeed a high probability that the train will derail. I don't expect Froome winning this year. But I may be prejudiced, because I'm not a fan from him or the Skyteam.

I have just been talking about this with a colleague. I cannot help thinking that this stage is one for the outside bets for the GC to have a real go. If you can pull out a lead, then you make the others need to chase, and there is only so much time that can be made up in the mountains, or on a time trial. besides, trying to chase a breakaway on wet cobbles could really be trouble, especially with a knackered wrist. Personally, I am not a fan of Froome, and Team Sky does not seem to be promoting the best of British, as it was touted, and Brailsford is not making noises which I approve of.

I would not be heartbroken if Froome were to fall out of contention today at all, it is a shame for me that plan B is watching from his Sofa, and Plan C is in Austria!

Back
Top Bottom