Pre-Season The 2014 season regulations

It will stop those drivers going out in Q1 swapping in a new engine and gearbox with no penalty. Same with anyone who has an accident in FP3, any gearbox and engine change is going to impact them in the next race if they were unable to qualify due to their accident.

Last edited:
If all this is about spicing up the competition, increasing the instances of overtaking, and bringing some uncertainty back to the finishing order, I've got one simple rule that will accomplish all three:

Each pit stop, drivers must chug a pint of beer.

If all this is about spicing up the competition, increasing the instances of overtaking, and bringing some uncertainty back to the finishing order, I've got one simple rule that will accomplish all three:

Each pit stop, drivers must chug a pint of beer.

I am afraid that will lead to a very predictable season. Kimi wins and the Germans follow in the order of how good the cars are (Nico and Hulk)

Last edited:
To think I've been getting increasingly annoyed at the crappy X Factor gimmicks that make no ****ing difference year on year. At least that's bollocks entertainment.

How in trouble is F1 that they are having to resort to these god awful changes?

They don't have to resort to these changes though. They stumbled across a winning formula, and arsed it up.

They punished Mercedes for following their instructions and thus ended an intriguing title battle which I believe would have occurred if Mercedes understood the tyres.

Double points is a pointless appendage. Would it have improved 2013 or 2011 or 2004? No. The German excellence was too much.

It would have changed the endings in the fun title race of 2003, not necessary. It would have destroyed the most exciting moment of recent years in 2008 - good plan, jackasses!

It would have killed the hope in 2007 and 2010. It would have meant Villeneuve would have left half the field past at Jerez.

The stunning 2012 finale would have been a little better, but who the he'll was moaning?

Rant over...

They don't have to resort to these changes though. They stumbled across a winning formula, and arsed it up....
The real take-away from this is that the FIA don't learn from their mistakes. They still believe they done the right thing by taking the fan's protestations against the lack of overtaking at face value, and by adopting something equally simplistic (and sophistic) to mend it. That the fans continue to whinge, despite 50-60 overtakes per race, the FIA apparently believe, is evidence to the fan's fickleness. OTOH, I think what the fans at large really wanted -- but lacked the communicative accumen to express -- was the removal of those rules that created a situation that is so limiting to the potential for competitive overtaking. But as I often remark, the FIA continue trying to mend silly rules with still more silly rules.

The FIA not only are tone-deaf, they fail to take their cue from every acclaimed analytical process from the Scientific Method to 6∑ by including a step requiring that they critically evaluate the outcome of past decisions and use that information to improve the future ones. They simply assume that the outcome from each new idea will be ace, and move on the the next. All of which saves them ever having to fess up how ronnied the sport truly is.

Last edited:
From the Beeb's testing page:

"It looks like there is going to be a tweak to qualifying this year, to prevent the scenario of some teams not running in the top 10 shoot-out in order to save tyres for the race. F1's strategy group - the new rule-making body, effectively - has proposed that those in Q3, as it is called, get an extra set of 'option' tyres for use only in that session.

"Drivers will now have to start the race on the set of tyres on which they set their best time in the second part of qualifying. The teams' sporting directors were asked if there were any major problems with the idea and when they met on Friday they agreed that while they had a couple of minor comments, there were no big issues and it would do what was intended. So expect that to be formally adopted as a rule at the next strategy group meeting on Friday."

So it looks like there will be an extra set of options in Q3 then.

This is really tinkering at the edges isn't it?
If anything this benefits the top teams because those most likely to gain pole in Q3 would under current rules have to have made the choice of optimum tyres in Q3 which could affect their race start. In Q2 however, they're up against a bunch of much slower cars and it'll be fairly easy for the top cars at many races to pick and choose either tyre choice in Q2, yet still go faster than those slower Q2 teams. (does that make sense?)

Wish they'd just keep qually and the race separate.

Do you mean that the top cars will have a strategic advantage in, say, picking the prime tyre over the option? But of course, I suppose this proposed system could create a dilemma for the top teams - try and sneak into Q3 with the slower tyre, yet have a potential strategic advantage at the start of the race, or go all out to qualify for Q3 but start on the worn options?

Back
Top Bottom