Football The 2012/13 Season

I'm sorry Nicklas Bendtner is not going to be gracing our football pitches this season. Read into that what you will.

In other news, I like transfer deadline day very much! Lloris and Dempsey!

If I was a Spurs fan I'm not sure I'd be so chuffed, replacing Modric and Van der Vaart with Lloris and Dempsey doesn't seem like a fair swap, unless I'm missing something? I suppose you got Dembele...

Modric had already left, so these replacements are better than none at all. Van der Vaart is a fine player and will be missed, but he lacked mobility and couldn't last more than an hour or so. I think Dembele will be a terrific signing and we have needed to strengthen our goalkeeping situation for some time.

No doubt we'll find some way to mess things up though.

I'd hope the management at Spurs are a little more sensible than the parade of "fit and proper persons" that Pompey have suffered over the last few years though.

FB - Hmmm... I hope so. I do think Spurs could be good though. A lot have players have left - but a lot of players needed to leave because Redknapp stuffed his squad with too many players.​
I think this stint, hopefully with the man given some semblance of time, will define AVB in English eyes at least, not sure it will be disastrous though.​
There is of course one ex-Chelsea backroom man doing well. West Brom have taken 7 points from 3 games... against Liverpool, Spurs and Everton!​

Its OK, AVB just needs some time, like Ramos did. I must admit to being a little concerned, especially bearing in mind the missing out on Moutinho. We will have to wait and see, however, I am not overly optimistic, few of the players brought in really fill me with confidence.

Oh, I'm willing to give him time, but being at the game today there was nothing good about our performance at all, and again the tactics and substitutions were concerning. I think he probably has the right ideas but may be struggling to communicate them, or else the players are unconvinced as yet.

Ultimately I'm confident in the fundamental quality of the players, so if AVB can't get the best out of them we'll hopefully find another manager who can.

Spurs wanted to keep Van der Vaart by all accounts but once a reunion with Hamburg was on the cards he wasn't gonna reject a move to be closer to his wife who by the way is still recovering from breast cancer. Any other club in for him and he wouldn't have gone IMHO. I'm still puzzled at why Spurs didn't get the Joao Moutinho deal up and going once they decided to let Modric go. Moutinho would have been class in the PL if he'd come. But Dempsey was the biggest surprise on the day for me.

Man City - was it panic buys or will Javier Garcia come good? Haven't seen much of the former Benfica player before, also Scott Sinclair getting splinters already at Man City! Reckon £3m for Maicon was a good buy as their needed more experience at the back. Not seen much of the new centre back but apparently he's miles better than Savic.

Charlie Adam to Stoke looks a perfect fit. Also N'Zonzi turning up at the Britannia is good business for them.

Berbatov to Fulham is a smashing deal for both parties. Berba knows he'll be first name on the teamsheet once he's fit. Joining up with Martin Jol was a big factor in it as well, also Kieron Richardson was decent business for Fulham as well.

Now Michael Essien to Real Madrid was a massive shock for me, but once i'd heard Mourinho sold Lassana Diarra to Russian side Anzhi it all made sense really. Also Essien will prove people wrong and probably start a good few games this season.

But one thing that did hit me is that they wasn't a really mega signing and they hasn't been for a few windows now on transfer deadline days.

Bollocks forgot to add that Pablo Hernandez to Swansea was my move of deadline day. I rate Pablo and he'll be a hit at the Liberty.

The transfer window deadline becomes a farce as it makes teams panic buy. I know he wasen't bought on deadline day but Michu looks like a steal at £2 million.

Back
Top Bottom