Football The 2012/13 Season

Southampton practically handed that game to Man U by taking off their three strikers and dropping deep. They we're going well, so why change the system? Also, Man U don't look very impressive this year - without van Persie, they would only have 1 point, and be in the relegation zone.

Jos the Boss - Admittedly true. However here's a Venn diagram to demonstrate:

CTA.png

EUROPA LEAGUE GROUP STAGE DRAW - THE YOKEL ASSESSES:

A: Liv-er-pool, Udinese, Young Boys Berne, Extremely Rich Russians
Liv-er-pool will be favourites on account of being 5 time European Champions, but their lack of strikers will look particularly poor up against Antonio di Natale and Samuel Eto'o. The Extremely Rich Russians don't tend to make too much headway in the Russian League. Liv-er-pool and Udinese.​
B: Atletico, Hapoel Tel-Aviv, Viktoria Plzen, Academica
For the defending Champions, Atletico, the most difficult part of this group will probably be attempting to pronounce "Plzen" in any realistic manner. With a name like that, I hope Academica will be smart. A great opportunity for someone to get through.​
Atletico and Plzen.​
C: La Marseillaise, Fenerbahce, Borussia M..., AEL Limassol
The presence of Joey Barton will surely bring a level of cod-philosophy to the Europa League, but La Marseillaise might have trouble getting through a tight group here. Cyprus may be a coming sort-of force in European football, but I can't see AEL Limassol picking up more than a couple of points. Fenerbahce and La Marseillaise.​
D: Bordeaux, Brugge, The Toon, Maritimo
Maritimo's tough away days will be helped by the fact Newcastle is a port. Brugge managed to lose to Birmingham last year, so it is difficult to see how they'll beat the 5th best in the top flight if they couldn't the 5th best in the Championship. Is Madeira even in Europe, by the way? The Toon and Bordeaux.​
E: Stuttgart, Wonderful Wonderful Copenhagen, Steaua, Ole Gunnar Solksjaer's Molde
Any interest in this group in England will be taken by Evil Empire of Salford fans trying to work out if Ole Gunnar Solksjaer's Molde manager Ole Gunnar Solksjaer will become Evil Emperor after Dark Lord Ferguson retires. We can confirm that Jens Lehmann has finally retired. Stuttgart and Wonderful Wonderful Copenhagen.​
F: PSV, Sud Italia, Dnipro, AIK
Sud Italia wowed people in the Champions League last year, knocking out Al-Citeh. If AIK progress it will be a massive surprise, because Swedish teams tend to be pretty useless. PSV aren't what they used to be and I'm still upset Meeelan beat them in the 2005 Champions League semi. PSV and Sud Italia.​
G: Sporting Portugal, Basil Fawlty, Genk, Videoton
Basil Fawlty knocked the Evil Empire of Salford out of the Champions League last year, but true to form came a cropper when confronted by Germans. Sporting Portugal should be the favourites, Videoton killed the Radioton star in the qualifiers. Sporting Portugal and Basil Fawlty.​
H: Inter, Rubin Kazan, Partizan, Neftchi Baku
Neftchi Baku are going to play Inter. So that's their aims achieved for this year! Second place will probably between Partizan, who have avoided jury duty, and Rubin Kazan. Personally, I can see a Russian success there. If Inter go out, everyone at the club will be sacked. Inter and Rubin Kazan.​
I: Lyon, The Basque Country, THIS! IS! SPARTA! Prague, Ironi Kiryat Shmona
Since the Basque Country are falling apart at the seams, and Ironi Kiryat Shmona have greater fame as some sort of sci-fi villian, it is possible that THIS! IS! SPARTA! Prague will get a chance to go through. Although The Basque Country could always recover. Lyon and THIS! IS! SPARTA! Prague.​
J: 'Arry's 'Triffic Spurs, The Greek Ireland, Mussolini FC, Maribor
'Arry's 'Triffic Spurs have a group that will be tough if they don't take it too seriously. The Greek Ireland have a fine pedigree of Group Stage exits, while Mussolini FC are returning to the top half of Italian football, although Miroslav Klose is a little unsettled by all their fascist fans. Mussolini FC and 'Arry's 'Triffic Spurs​
K: Neverkusen, Metalist Kharkiv, Rosenborg, Thismeansnothingtomeohvienna
Neverkusen did OK in the Champions League until they sat back and applauded while Possessió battered them. None of the three teams they'll be facing this year command that sort of respect, so they'll be fine. Kharkiv have a lovely stadium, by the way! Neverkusen and Metalist Kharkiv.​
L: 20, Hannover, Levante, Helsingborg
I've already mentioned how Swedish teams are useless. You wonder if Levante had their good season to actually be in the Europa League, although the same could be said of Hannover. So even Schteve McClaren won't prevent 20 getting through. 20 and, hmmm..., Levante.​

Arsenal looked awesome on Saturday no matter how poor the opposition were. I think Carzola is a fantastic signing and Podolski is a cracking player. Mr Jack Wilshere may have a problem getting back in the first team if and when he's fit.

[rant]

I'm sick of players changing clubs in order to "win" trophies. Forgive me for my ignorance but if a team can win trophies without you, then how can you claim to have won these great prizes by jumping on the bandwaggon?

And, I'm sick of clubs paying unsustainable amounts for players. Let's face it - financial fair play is a load of hot air and the Premier League is For Sale to the person prepared to waste the most money.

[/rant]

[anti-rant]

"I believe any player or any employee always has to defend the company he works for," Wenger said. "And if he is not completely happy with it, then he has to go somewhere else. That is basically what I think. That is what I say to everybody."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/sep/13/barcary-sagna-arsenal-sales

[/anti-rant]

Bashed Bern's Young Boys 5-3 with Bren's team of reserves, kids and old codgers (sorry, Jamie!), and the headlines still use words like 'rescued' and 'salvaged' the win!

Just hope the 'first' team have made the most of that extra rest they've had.:cheer:

Great win for the Dons today - won 1-4 against Bury and absolutely dominated them! Fourth now after an average start to the season. Good times ahead!!

Back
Top Bottom