Team Radio & Bringing the sport in disrepute

That’s the exact same storey repeated and ‘tabloided’ (I made that word up lol)

Well, obviously. They are a tabloid and they weren't going to make up a new story.

[Edit] And if they did make up a new storey at least they would have more room in their offices, or car-park for that matter. ;)

So Massa's post race indignation was what? Annoyance that his attemt to destroy hamilton's race back fired somewhat and also destoyed his own? Or an attempt to deflect any blame should the radio commentary be revealed.

So Massa's post race indignation was what? Annoyance that his attemt to destroy hamilton's race back fired somewhat and also destoyed his own? Or an attempt to deflect any blame should the radio commentary be revealed.

...or an attempt at a move into the world of acting now that his racing career is going down the pan.

You’ve done nothing but moan about Schumacher ever since lol.

Also folks remember the opposite, Schumacher deliberately holding up Hakkinen up to allow Irvine to win the race

Its nothing new, just gamesmanship to me.

I started complaining about Schumacher since the Benetton B196 which had traction and launch control only on his car...and since he deliberately chopped Hill right after binning his car into the wall following a driving error.

You're 100% right, Ferrari doing this is nothing new whatsoever.

You're also 100% right that it's now just 'gamesmanship'. Ferrari are playing mind games with Lewis and trying to psychologically beat him into a form of submission or, at the very least, destabalize him in the near term so he'll be less of a threat.

Lewis has to pull it all together now. He'll need his team, his family and allies like Ron Dennis to help him refocus on the thing that matters: Winning Grand Prix races and to hell with what some Number 2 thinks of him.

Focus, Focus, Focus!!!

I find it funny that not one of those defending the conduct of Smedly /Massa have bothered to comment on Massa's post race 'anger' or request for a meeting to discuss Hamiltons 'dangerous' bravado as seen in the puncture incident, or even the incident in quali. Instead it's just that instructions like this are normal and therefore meaningless in this situation

Selective commentary, see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil

The thing is that, if this is swept under the carpet, then it confirms to all the other teams that Lewis can be picked on without punishment. Massa will be used to destroy his race at every opportunity and everyone will continue to look the other way and dismiss the disrepute generated.

Oh well never mind, it's just racing

The thing is that, if this is swept under the carpet, then it confirms to all the other teams that Lewis can be picked on without punishment. Massa will be used to destroy his race at every opportunity and everyone will continue to look the other way and dismiss the disrepute generated.

Oh what garbage.

LH was NOT being picked on.

You're taking a soundbite, which may, or may not be, out of context, and immediately making it into a "Let's pick on Lewis"...

As far as you know, it could simply be Smedley's way of saying - it's LH behind you, don't let him pass - and Massa would probably take even more motivation to keep him behind because of the contretemps that have gone on this season. There's no suggestion that it's a case of picking on Lewis! - Even if it is a case of team-orders, let's face it, the same thing would be true of anyone who Massa could prevent from beating Alonso!

The best thing for Massa would be to work very hard with his side of the Ferrari garage and try and out-qualify Alonso and then focus on finishing around 4th or 5th in the race and not be concerned about anything else.

The best thing for Hamilton would be to focus on the Japanese GP and, possibly, winning it...and if not winning it then just fininshing ahead of Button.

That ought to be the focus of each of those two and they should both answer any media questions with a simple "the past is over and we're here to focus on Suzuka, a great and challenging circuit and to have a good race in front of the great Japanese fans. Thank you. Have a nice day."

Even if it is a case of team-orders, let's face it, the same thing would be true of anyone who Massa could prevent from beating Alonso!

Which would equally be wrong. This isn't about the fact that involved Lewis Hamilton, although Massa's faux indignation after the race is difficult to stomach no, it would be just as wrong if it had been Button, Schumacher, Webber, Vettel or any of the other 23 drivers on the grid.

Personally I think the details of where this instruction came from should be found, as we know Smedley is simply the messenger boy. If it found that someone in the Ferrari management team deliberately instructed one of their drivers to ruin the race of another driver then people should be punished. Whether this is financial, a points based punishment, people being suspended I don't know but what Smedley told Massa to do is simply wrong in a sporting situation.

FB - Can I just ask you a question - Would it be wrong for Smedley to have come over the radio and said - "Be prepared to defend as hard as you can and protect your position"?

We don't know what the context of the message was - but by making Massa think that he would ruin Hamilton's race by keeping him behind would probably be just the sort of motivation that Massa needed last weekend - since he had had issues with Hamilton in practice! I think it's completely wrong to be laying into Massa and Smedley/Ferrari, without knowing the full context!

FB - Can I just ask you a question - Would it be wrong for Smedley to have come over the radio and said - "Be prepared to defend as hard as you can and protect your position"?

Above of course not but do you not see what is wrong with this...

by making Massa think that he would ruin Hamilton's race by keeping him behind would probably be just the sort of motivation that Massa needed last weekend

The moment a driver needs that level of motivation is the moment he needs to think about retiring. I think it's more than likely the quote was to ensure Hamilton couldn't challenge Alonso as this still became a concern for them later in the race and that the wording was really unfortunate. If it's anything other than that then it is quite sinister.

Alternative view... Maybe this was Smedley making another obvious radio speech to let the world know in a cryptic way that Ferrari are up to old tricks by disadvantaging Massa to suit Alonso?

Ferrari seriously need to start concentrating on getting their own house in order before trying to 'ruin' Hamilton's races. With Valencia and the crying over the safety car not penalising him enough, complaining about the minuscule weaving just because Alonso got a drive through for a similar incident and now this it's getting a bit much.

Back
Top Bottom