Team Radio & Bringing the sport in disrepute

We know that Smedley gives Massa orders that he complies with on radio, he moved over for Alonso last year, why should this instruction not be taken literally?

As FB said 'bringing the sport into disrepute'

Surely more clear cut here than at Germany last year?

Yes team orders are legal, but again Ferrari cross the line by ordering things on the radio that others might do but don't make public because it's not sporting or noble

So why is Massa leading a witch hunt against Lewis, or is that a team directive?

I think you have to disect it into two different matters:

1. Massa's genuinely pissed off at Lewis currently.

2. In terms of the 2011 Singapore Grand Prix, a Ferrari car would have finished only 5th if it had been a "normal" race...but holding up Hamilton would have helped Ferrari finish higher than 5th in this specific Grand Prix.

I imagine Ferrari figured Massa was ripe for being compliant in the matter at this particular event (look at what Felipe' said about Lewis after Saturday qualifying!)

Made sense from a Ferrari point of view and, as I said, it worked. A Ferrari finished 4th.

4th is hardly something to sing and dance about but at least they didn't finish 5th and at least it made Alonso feel good that the team was helping him in some form or another.

Well really you have to wonder how many teams tell their drivers things like this but it doesn't get broadcast? I'm sure there's been a couple of messages like this.

Barrichello was told to kill Heidfeld and that was broadcast live on television - surely you guys think this is terrible too? Maybe worth opening a new topic?

I take your point Ray but It's like a football manager asking one of their players to nobble the opposition striker or goal keeper as they then have a better chance of winning. I really think this is beyond "team orders" when a driver is instructed to deliberately spoil the race of a driver in another team.

This is borin,
We don’t even know if it was only to wreck his race, maybe it was to simply keep him behind so he was in front of him?
If this had been a HRT holding up a Virgin no one here would care.

It's the words used Vortex. If Smedley had said "try and keep Hamilton behind for as long as possible" I wouldn't have problem. It's the fact he instructed Massa to spoil his race I have a problem with. I have the same problem with any engineer instructing any driver in any team.

There's going to be a shitstorm in the media on this one now it's in the public domain. Are we all strapped in tightly? This is going to be a bumpy ride.

I think you have to disect it into two different matters:

1. Massa's genuinely pissed off at Lewis currently.

2. In terms of the 2011 Singapore Grand Prix, a Ferrari car would have finished only 5th if it had been a "normal" race...but holding up Hamilton would have helped Ferrari finish higher than 5th in this specific Grand Prix.

I imagine Ferrari figured Massa was ripe for being compliant in the matter at this particular event (look at what Felipe' said about Lewis after Saturday qualifying!)

Made sense from a Ferrari point of view and, as I said, it worked. A Ferrari finished 4th.

4th is hardly something to sing and dance about but at least they didn't finish 5th and at least it made Alonso feel good that the team was helping him in some form or another.

If I mugged an old lady I would have more money.

Sportspersons should be encouraged to get the best result they possible can not to ensure someone else gets the worst result possible. Asking teammates to swap positions is one thing. Asking competitors to deliberately impede others is surmountable to anti-competition and in the world of sport is a shameful act.

Just to add the words were "destroy his race as much as you can boy, c'mon"

This cannot be dismissed as a normal occurrence when there was later contact between the two and Lewis got a penalty

Would the stewards have taken this transmission onto account when deciding that Lewis was guilty of causing an avoidable incident?

And when you consider Massa's actions after the race calling Lewis mindless?

'i was trying to mess up your race, but I am really upset that you are dangerous because we had contact despite the fact you were racing and I was trying to destroy your race'

The FOM are known for releasing radio messages that shed light on incidents during races, makes sense, they want to generate interest

Hopefully there are journalists out there brave enough to probe this further

I hope not EN - all this overreacting to every little incident has put me a bit off of F1.

I really don't think this is as big an issue as everyone is making it.

Last year when Massa/Alonso did the switch/let by at the German GP......it was shown many times on TV &
many times we heard Rob Smedley telling Felipe that he had been "Magnanimous"...& adding that Felipe wouldn't know what that word mean't.
This situation IMHO is worse....

Smedley would say Massa was magnanimous I would say Massa was a fool. I think what happend between Hamlton and Massa in Q3 played out in that radio message, clearly the was resentment from Massa's camp and it really showed in that message, a kind of "here's your chance for revenge" when instead it should have been "here's your chance to hold Hamilton up, achieve a good result for yourself and help Fernando widen the gap".

Folks, this is hardly new!

Suzuka is coming up and this puts me in mind of Suzuka, 1997 when Irivine deliberately and brutally held and backed up Villeneuve, destroying his (JV's) race after letting Schumacher into the lead of the race and, effectively, the lead in the World Championship (which he lost eventhough he tried to brutally chop Villeneuve at the next/final race at Jerez).

We in Canada didn't moan about it because that's the way Ferrari operated.

I suggest people go look at that Japanese Grand Prix race from 1997.

This is Child's Play in comparison.

The difference is that there were no radio re-broadcasts and edits and sound bites in those days.

EDIT

This is what Eddie Irvine said after the race:

"They said slow down and let Michael through and then try to slow Jacques down. It is not difficult to do here. I had three years of practice here when I was in Formula 3000."

I'm sure the words are polite but the intention was quite brutal.

Irvine saved his seat. Massa's doing the same.

Back
Top Bottom