Current Sebastian Vettel

Lots of threads have alluded to having a discussion about the current world champion so lets get it all off our collective chests (oooeer!)

Lots has been has been written about this young man from his testing debut with BMW Sauber in 2006 aged just 19 - he then progressed to the the toro rosso team for his first full race season in 2008 - the memorable race being his drive in the wet at Fuji where he managed to rear end his future team mate Mark Webber who said ""It's kids isn't it... kids with not enough experience – they do a good job and then they :censored: **** it all up." - Little was Mark to know he would be paired with the "Kid" just 2 years later.

His maiden win came at the 2008 Italian GP where he qualified up from, the race started under the safety car in the rain and the young German led from start to finish in the Toro Rosso - becoming the youngest winner of a grand prix ever.

Then we enter the era of the Red Bull. In 2009 he joined the Red Bull team, which got off to a torrid start as he managed to crash into Kubika in Australia, a feat he would go on to repeat during the 09 season.

Last year needs no mention........

So to the crux of the matter. Is Sebastian Vettel?

the real deal, the baby schumi, the new pretender - a genuine racer? - aka Wunderkind

or

A very quick driver, who lucked into a very fast car and can bang it on pole and lead from lights to flag and be the quickest pilot of a car, yet can't overtake for toffee? aka WunOrAother

035336-pn-image-sport-sebastian-vettel.jpg

I reckon that if Webber was Hamiltons team mate there would have been at least a couple of coming togethers!
There were anyway. ;)

But, to get back to the subject (i.e.Vettel), perhaps we will never know how much is him and how much is the car, until either:
a) he moves to another team (not likely very soon) or
b) the Red Bull gets surpassed as the class car of the field (not likely very soon either, but then in F1 you never know)

I'm not sure sure about that, it looks to me that Hamilton charges in gung-ho, and Button is quick enough to get out of the way. I reckon that if Webber was Hamiltons team mate there would have been at least a couple of coming togethers!

I agree with you there...

As for Vettel going to Ferrari...hm...I think they will try and poach him if Kubica is not back to his usual self, it's no secret they want Kubica....

But how long will they keep Alonso if he doesn't win a title? They chucked Raikkonen out for him who helped win the 3 titles that Ferrari won when he was there. I think Ferrari are trying too hard to make this Alonso relationship work...Raikkonen and Massa was probably their best partnership, both comfortable with each other, equal status.

I think they will use Alonso as a scapegoat like they did with Raikkonen and try to get Vettel if they don't win a title in the next few years.

Maybe if Webber was Hamilton's teammate such attempts wouldn't be made in the first place. It could be handy for Webber having this reputation of being 50/50 whether he'll concede or take you out.

I've been wearing a pothelmet under my toupet since the early ninetees;actually it was a vintage german spikehelmet,but I removed the spike after Schumacher's first career.
Nothing to do with distancing yourself from Max's pecadillos then... ;)

It was a racing incident, blown way out of proportion, to the point of boredom. You'll never get agreement about who was at fault, but there is one fact: RBR suffered in WCC points that day.

Back on topic, Vettel has only driven a good car in F1 for 2 years, and although he has clearly shown many areas in which he shines, he is still young and coming on. I think that is an exciting prospect. Not just for Vettel, but all the young ones, WDCs or not. None of them have matched the others in all of their achievements. For example, Hamilton hasn't gotten 10 poles in a season yet; Nico hasn't won a race yet; Vettel hasn't had a WDC teammate yet; none of them have won from further back than 4th yet - but there is time for all of those things, so for now, we just have to kick back, relax and enjoy the show.

So as not to derail the Ferrari thread I thought I post this here to repudiate the suggestion that little Schumie Sebastien Vettel doesn't have a sense of humour:

Boyish-looking, always smiling and an aficionado of Monty Python, Little Britain and the Beatles, Sebastian Vettel, the young German driver, announced himself in the most dramatic way possible this weekend as a new star of Formula One and a future rival for Britain's Lewis Hamilton.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/formula_1/article4754318.ece

That was almost three years ago and he was a relative unknown - if I was in the same position, at the same time in my career, I would own to anything that might curry favour - even stuff that isn't/wasn't very amusing

He's a WDC now and just listen to the crap that he spouts forth over the radio when he wins - bad philosophy and old hat. Just my opinion, of course, but I like to think I know a PR babe when I see one :)

That was almost three years ago and he was a relative unknown - if I was in the same position, at the same time in my career, I would own to anything that might curry favour - even stuff that isn't/wasn't very amusing

He's a WDC now and just listen to the crap that he spouts forth over the radio when he wins - bad philosophy and old hat. Just my opinion, of course, but I like to think I know a PR babe when I see one :)

Montoya....he's a right PR babe with his eeeedeeeeeeots!! You broke my head!

Oh cynical you Jen. From Indy 2007

1824: Sebastian Vettel is reportedly a big fan of "Little Britain" and has been telling the pit crew over the radio that there is "a bit of a kerfuffle". It is unclear if they know quite what he means, but it keeps the 19-year-old entertained.

Vettel is far from Wonderkid, that said he ain't all that bad:thumbsup:. I think right now RBR are just so much better than the competition, to really stamp his authority he must try run away with the WDC in dominant fashion, though some say he is just around the corner to a mistake or mechanical problem.

I think we have not really seen him drive well behind other cars(not behind very often 200+ led laps) and when he has been, he pitted on the undercut so has better tyres than the others on track so they don't resist him. We saw how Alonso did not let him go notably in singapore

He drove very well under pressure at the last race, I thought. He seems to be maturing and getting better with experience, a worrying prospect for the rest. This weekend will be another opportunity to measure his progress.

After today's performance, you would have to say that Vettel seems to be getting better and more confident with every race weekend.

I can't see anyone other than him winning the title this year and given the right equipment, he could easily be dominating for quite a while.

I would love to see him in a title fight with Kubica! I am also intrigued on who will be his team-mate next year, I for one hope it's not Mark Webber.

I would love to see him in a title fight with Kubica! I am also intrigued on who will be his team-mate next year, I for one hope it's not Mark Webber.
It won't be Webber, Seb this year is like Schuey in 2000 to 2004, in 2012 it'll be some schmuck who's told what to do, (no disrespect to Rubens) so RBR can continue their domination. Be interesting to see who it is? Kobayashi?

Back
Top Bottom