Paul di Resta

Just realised we don't have a thread on the young Scot and there's something I have to get off my chest but, first, here's some history.

A real sporting family, his cousins are the Franchitti brothers and his step father was Scottish footballer Dougie McCracken (no, I'd never heard of him either but he played for Ayr, Dunbarton and East Fife). As ever, started in karting before moving to Formula Renault with Manor Motorsport. He was Formula 3 Euroseries champion in 2006 before moving on to DTM.

With Mercedes backing he was lined up for a drive with Force India in 2009 but FI chose to continue with their '08 driver line up. As test driver in 2010 for FI di Resta finally secured a seat for the 2011 season alongside Adrian Sutil scoring points on his debut and having a highest finish to date of 7th in Hungary.

Anyway, as to my moan. At the pre-race interviews at Spa di Resta complained that he only qualified 18th as the team called him in telling him he was "safe" to get into Q2. Can someone explain why the drivers don't argue with their teams in these situations? He must have seen the track was drying and the grip improving so why doesn't he "grow a pair" and tell them he wants to carry on? It's all too easy to abdicate responsibilty, you're in the car mate, tell them what you think.

And relax...

I believe he won't. Di Resta is the real deal, given a decent car he would be winning races. From what little we have seen of Hulkenberg I think he is good but over rated.
I don't really think that Hulkenberg is overrated otherwise he would still have been racing this season rather than a 3rd driver. But getting pole by over a second in Brazil last year showed that in the right car he can do great things. Anyway, this is all just my opinion.

Hulkenberg was dropped because he did not bring enough money not because he was not talented enough
but next year if the rumours are true its Di Resta and Hulkenberg at Force India which will be a shoot out for a seat at Mercedes potentially

Interestingly at the Indian GP Paul Di Resta ranked as 7th on the fastest lap charts but only managed a lowly 13th. Looks like they really made a mess of that strategy if Paul had that sort of speed under him.

By their own admission it was a gamble that didn't pay off to do the entire race on two sets of softs. Sergio Perez did manage it, and finished 10th in a car that was slower on the day, but obviously Sauber's tyre usage is much better than Force India's. If there had been a safety car he might have been a national hero!

Probably not, though.

Yes I found the strategy from Perez, Petrov and Di Resta very odd. It worked for Perez, nearly worked for Petrov, didn't work at all with Di Resta.

Di Resta sent Nico Hulkenberg a tweet today saying good luck to his new team mate.

You reckon these two will stay friends throughout the season with so much at stake for their careers on each beating the other one? I see tears and tantrums coming in this one.

not quite a championship no but lets face it whichever one comes out on top next year is likely to get the Merc seat whilst the other becomes Nick Heidfeld.

Both think they're on the way to the top and neither will like to be number 2. I see squabbles

not quite a championship no but lets face it whichever one comes out on top next year is likely to get the Merc seat whilst the other becomes Nick Heidfeld.

Both think they're on the way to the top and neither will like to be number 2. I see squabbles

Both want to be in Mercedes - they both still might you know.

For both its a point to prove that they are going to be a future race winner and world champion

.... I will not go along with the Heidfeld theory yet...because Nick actually did not himself either by not finding another drive for 2003 and got a beating from Frentzen who could not hold a drive down in F1

it will be interesting to see how much money Sahara will invest to push the team forward ... Sauber were rooted to midfield in all honesty

If Di Resta can't get into Mercedes he still can get into Mclaren... I am sure Anthony still has good relations with Mclaren to give him a go as the fact he can beat Vettel is another factor from the junior days

Reminds me of Jordan 1997 - Ralf Schumacher vs Fisichella

I don;t know why people thought Ralf was gonna come out on top because Fisi looked much mature in his approach to his first full season and sure enough beat Ralf more often and was less accident prone as well

If Di Resta can't get into Mercedes he still can get into Mclaren... I am sure Anthony still has good relations with Mclaren to give him a go as the fact he can beat Vettel is another factor from the junior days

Hmmmm. Button looks like the blue-eyed boy at McLaren, so you have to then assume that Anthony is going to negotiate Lewis out of the team. You have to think that would be unlikely, unless McLaren decline by the time di Resta is looking for a seat there.

He's only a year younger than Hamilton, I don't think anyone is going to make that swap.

So its when Button retires, really, and I don't doubt there'll be a better prospect for McLaren if di Resta isn't good enough to get the Mercedes seat he's been earmarked for.

Hmmmm. Button looks like the blue-eyed boy at McLaren, so you have to then assume that Anthony is going to negotiate Lewis out of the team. You have to think that would be unlikely, unless McLaren decline by the time di Resta is looking for a seat there.

He's only a year younger than Hamilton, I don't think anyone is going to make that swap.

So its when Button retires, really, and I don't doubt there'll be a better prospect for McLaren if di Resta isn't good enough to get the Mercedes seat he's been earmarked for.

Well either wait for Button to retire which is in 2015 but Jenson might want to race longer though

Or if Lewis decides to jump to Red Bull..:thinking: then obvious Di Resta would be a good choice...he has tested for Mclaren and is a Mclaren Young driver winner like Button

No Anthony will not oust Lewis out of Mclaren unless he feels they've let him down too often like Liegate 2009( nuff said) then Lewis will go to Red Bull no doubt

Mercedes may tell Mclaren look we will give the engines for longer if you hire Di Resta possibly if Anthony can;t do it for Paul

They won't oust Jenson unless he decides to quit himself

Or if Lewis decides to jump to Red Bull..:thinking: then obvious Di Resta would be a good choice...he has tested for Mclaren and is a Mclaren Young driver winner like Button

I cannot see it. I really cannot see it. They're not a British national team, and there is likely to be someone better around than Di Resta come the time Lewis leaves McLaren. In fact, they probably won't have Mercedes engines...

I suspect it is more likely they'd get someone like Rosberg, or some young driver we don't yet know is going to be world-class.

Will either of the two's career get destroyed if one beats the other? I am not sure, if di Resta beats Hulkenberg, then I think Hulkneberg will have some leeway, yeah he would have had two full seasons, but he has had a gap year, while di Resta has been in the sport racing for 2 years consistently.

I think di Resta would be the one in more danger here if he is the one that gets beaten.

Will either of the two's career get destroyed if one beats the other? I am not sure, if di Resta beats Hulkenberg, then I think Hulkneberg will have some leeway, yeah he would have had two full seasons, but he has had a gap year, while di Resta has been in the sport racing for 2 years consistently.

I think di Resta would be the one in more danger here if he is the one that gets beaten.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm difficult to say but given DI Resta has been with the team longer and Mercedes are investing in him already then maybe there is some truth in that

I cannot see it. I really cannot see it. They're not a British national team, and there is likely to be someone better around than Di Resta come the time Lewis leaves McLaren. In fact, they probably won't have Mercedes engines...

I suspect it is more likely they'd get someone like Rosberg, or some young driver we don't yet know is going to be world-class.

Possible if Di Resta is going to go to Mercedes then Nico would be a good choice for Mclaren as they rate him highly and have tried to sign him more than once

I had a thought that Di Resta's situation is somewhat comparable to Frentzen possibly in that

HHF was considered equal if not better than Schumacher during their time together as teammates and the same logic is applied to DI Resta and Vettel

Off course when Schumacher went into F1 he made the most of his opportunities and so has Vettel so far...so I am hoping Di Resta does not become a HHF once he joins a front running team

I'm like sly, in that I just don't care for the guy despite his nationality. He has to be one of the most overrated drivers I've come across in my whole time watching Formula 1. The BBC had to resort to their dirty trick of hyping him up and slagging off the guy he's competing with in the team. Last season it was Liuzzi, this year it was Sutil who they were getting their digs in at.

The guy came across as a bit of a tool on a couple of occasions too.

Also is the whole " He beat Vettel in some random stepping-stone series" only relevant due to the success Vettel has went on to achieve? If Vettel had just turned out to be a mediocre driver we wouldn't be hearing about it. Quite frankly I hope Hulkenburg absolutely wipes the floor with him next year.

Back
Top Bottom