Paul di Resta

Just realised we don't have a thread on the young Scot and there's something I have to get off my chest but, first, here's some history.

A real sporting family, his cousins are the Franchitti brothers and his step father was Scottish footballer Dougie McCracken (no, I'd never heard of him either but he played for Ayr, Dunbarton and East Fife). As ever, started in karting before moving to Formula Renault with Manor Motorsport. He was Formula 3 Euroseries champion in 2006 before moving on to DTM.

With Mercedes backing he was lined up for a drive with Force India in 2009 but FI chose to continue with their '08 driver line up. As test driver in 2010 for FI di Resta finally secured a seat for the 2011 season alongside Adrian Sutil scoring points on his debut and having a highest finish to date of 7th in Hungary.

Anyway, as to my moan. At the pre-race interviews at Spa di Resta complained that he only qualified 18th as the team called him in telling him he was "safe" to get into Q2. Can someone explain why the drivers don't argue with their teams in these situations? He must have seen the track was drying and the grip improving so why doesn't he "grow a pair" and tell them he wants to carry on? It's all too easy to abdicate responsibilty, you're in the car mate, tell them what you think.

And relax...

FB how many people would of said the same thing about Jenson Button before 2009 ?
He is a young man with lots of potential, give him a year or two then stick him in a good car and I see no reason why he wouldn't be a world championship contender.

No denying that GL - Jenson proved that in the right car, the right driver can be a winner. I'm not writing Paul off just that I see him more as a David Coulthard than a Mika Hakkinen. I fully suspect he will take race wins if he gets into a top team but, from what I've seen (and I'll admit that's not much as the cameras never seem to point at the FI's these days) he's perhaps an above average driver but not superlative.

Time will tell. He's giving his team mate a seeing to and certainly proving better than Senna.

....from what I've seen (and I'll admit that's not much as the cameras never seem to point at the FI's these days)....

Yes, that is quite noticeable and has been ever since the Saturday in Bahrain. Not that I would ever suspect that either Mr Ecclestone or that any other person who was trying to please Mr Ecclestone would tell the tv producer to ignore FI.:whistle:

FB

The fact that DI Resta has the might of Mercedes backing him with Anthony as his manager and the fact that he is the only teammate to beat Vettel over a season

So far he has not gone for some of those over ambitious moves that cost him last season and been keeping his nose clean without being making noises.

I think Di Resta will get a drive for either Mercedes or Mclaren given his associations with either parties if he keeps this form up..the only I concern I have is he has got to make sure he does not do a Nick Heidfeld and think that just because he has connections he will get the drive and must let his driving do the talking

A source that I do not wish to reveal has told me that there are talks between Paul diResta's management and McLaren. They are apparently considering three outcomes. Lewis Hamilton and McLaren cannot agree a contract and Lewis moves on making way for Paul. Jenson continues to under-perform and Jenson is pushed out to make way for Paul. Contracts are signed with Lewis and Jenson regains his form in the second half of the season and both stay put leaving Paul hanging on for a potential seat at Mercedes.

Don't shoot the messenger and don't ask me where I got it from. I won't tell you.

We've had this conversation before, so quick point of order is to not badger Ninja for his source. If you feel you need to badger Ninja for his source you are welcome to either (a) not believe Ninja or (b) assume that it is Ron Dennis/Martin Whitmarsh/Anthony Hamilton as you prefer.

ExtremeNinja teabagyokel
I saw the same rumour on the BBC blog by Andrew Benson

The only problem is in Mclaren if you have Hamilton and Di Resta who is managed by Lewis ' father that could get feisty at times if they ever come to blows for Dad to sort out

Whilst I am alarmed at Button's performance it has to be said the Mclaren is not a great car and Hamilton is driving out of his skin to put it higher than it should in my opinion

However I don;t think anything will happen until Hamilton , Webber and Schumacher decide their F1 destinies by August

Funnily enough, Jenson already has a contract, so could be quite interesting if Lewis signs up again as well. Could we see Di Resta without a seat? It does seem the Hulkenburg is faster than him (just a little inconsistent, but getting better and better in this repect), so why is Paul the better bet out of the Force India drivers?

Ahh, but they are made in Northampton and the cars are made in Brackley. About the most German thing is the Euro's used to fund the team.

Santander also have a presence in the UK but they are a Spanish bank. They are a multinational organisation with a base in the UK.

sushifiesta - As he should be with more experience, wonder if it would be the saem if they are in the same team next year? Somehow, I doubt it. Either way, Hulkenburg still looks the faster of the two.

Back
Top Bottom