Overtaking Style and Tyres

It is worth noting that from the top 3 teams, the "patient" drivers (Vettel, Button, Alonso) all gathered more points in 2011, while the aggressive drivers (Hamilton, Massa) gathered less. Webber also took more points in 2011, but far less proportional to his team-mate.
TBY.jpg

Yes 2011 tyre durability appeared to suit those drivers more, maybe this years tyres will convey less of an advantage

I cant help feeling that Ferraris troubles with heating tyres quickly and in certain conditions will have been helped greatly by the direction that Italian company Pirelli have taken with these years version

Before anyone starts jumping up and shouting about conspiracies It should be said that the Ferrari being a brand new design shouldn't have carried these tyre warming issues over

I am not sure patient is the opposite to aggresive, maybe passive, like Trulli, but he didnt make it work

The Trulli train approach to tyre management never caught on
Why does it have to be one thing or the other all F1 drivers are aggressive it's just that some are slightly more aggressive in their approach than others, but I can guarantee you there ain't much in it.

I don't think the Trulli train had anything to do with tyre management his problem was he was blisteringly quick over one lap but could not maintain any kind of race speed, basically he qualified in the wrong position for his level of talent and was just fast enough to be hard to overtake, he was like that throughout his career even when tyres were not an issue.

Strictly speaking Ferrari should have an advantage over the rest of the field considering Pirelli and Ferrari's relationship.

Pirelli and Ferrari's relationship? Just because their Italian doesn't mean they have a relationship. I actually think last season was the first time ever that we've see a Ferrari car with Pirelli rubber. Ferrari have a long history with Bridgestone.

Well you could argue that without Ferrari Bridgestone probably wouldn't have been in F1 by 2005 as they only supplied three teams, the Ferrari Bridgestone partnership was most evident during 2003!

Pirelli and Ferrari's relationship? Just because their Italian doesn't mean they have a relationship. I actually think last season was the first time ever that we've see a Ferrari car with Pirelli rubber. Ferrari have a long history with Bridgestone.
What I meant was Pirelli are title sponsors to Ferrari and not just suppliers as they are to other teams, you only have to do a google search to come across rumours that they give a little extra help to the team they sponsor.

What I meant was Pirelli are title sponsors to Ferrari and not just suppliers as they are to other teams, you only have to do a google search to come across rumours that they give a little extra help to the team they sponsor.

Are they? Their own website lists Pirelli as an "Official Supplier", and not amongst their sponsors.

By the way, sponsoring Ferrari is a great idea in my opinion, you never know what you are going to get out of it. This is the coat of arms of the pope:

TBY.jpg

You'll notice a yellow shell on a red background, reminiscent of the logo of Shell, one of Ferrari's sponsors. But that's surely a coincidence. This coat of arms was designed by a Cardinal di Montezemelo. Suspicious?

Bollocks aside, Pirelli are not Ferrari's title sponsor.

Suspecting Italian companies of collusion behind the scenes?

That wouldnt even register on the scale of possible corruption emanating from Italian corporate governance structures and equity cross holdings etc

not to mention the famous links between industry, (notably the car industry) and politicians all the way up to the (former) Head honcho himself

But this is F1, it must be an exception and must therefore be beyond suspicion

Oh dear. I have a feeling that I may not last out this season. We haven't even begun and the conspiracy theories have started.

If there were to be such a thing how come the Pirelli tyres, in particular the two harder compounds, were most unhelpful to Ferrari last season?

Oh dear. I have a feeling that I may not last out this season. We haven't even begun and the conspiracy theories have started.

If there were to be such a thing how come the Pirelli tyres, in particular the two harder compounds, were most unhelpful to Ferrari last season?
Because they cocked up?

Back
Top Bottom