Poll Out of Ten - 2013 Canadian Grand Prix

2013 Canadian Grand Prix Out of ten

• Total voters
Enjoyed Monaco far more as a race than I did this I'm afraid and usually Canada is my favourite track. It gets an extra point for some good midfield results to root for but even they seemed without major excitment.

I'm amazed at these comments!
I liked this race(DRS rubbish aside cos sadly we're stuck with that for the season). I mainly liked it because we saw some racing rather than a bunch of cars going round slowly saving tyres and doing their own thing.
I liked the battle for second, webber up and down, Alonso biding his time and Hamilton wringing the neck of the Merc ( just let me race man! haha)
I liked watching Masa coming through
Yep. I enjoyed that race. An 8 from me.

Vettel on pole, Vettel gets away off grid, Alonso qualies 6th but makes up nothing on 1st few corners.
Rest of the race was a matter of how many places FA could get back before the end.
Plus a few other mid-field scraps.

Winner was pretty much a foregone conclusion after quali, and pretty much a certainty after lap 1.
Glad I was watching with several beers to hand..... better than Monaco but only just, on a par with Mal/Chi =5/10

One of the better races of the season for me. Yes, Vettel wrapped it up after Lap 1, but I thought it had some pretty interesting facets.

Plenty of overtakes (DRS enhanced but still, nice to watch after Monaco) - Some overtaking incidents/ coming together added to the fun. Points finish from drivers at the back (Massa/ Di Resta through completely different approaches)
Good battles all around for the podium and point positions.
Very interesting tyre strategies - who would have thought Di Resta could go so far on the medium tyres
And most importantly, drivers pushing throughout the race for positions (specially Alonso) - The battle between Alonso, Webber and Hamilton was intriguing - it was like a bunch of qualifying laps in the end in terms of pure aggression (something which has been severely lacking this season)

If anything, Canada gives me hope for the rest of the season (if only there's some way to stop the finger man :givemestrength:) - I give it 8

A quote from David Coulthard:
"I felt genuinely stirred by the fact it looked racy. You could see people physically on the limit," he writes in his BBC Sport column. "We know the difference between seeing people cruising out of a corner and working it out of a corner. We saw drivers pushing, exploiting their performance; we saw aggressive wheel-to-wheel racing. Just like Formula 1 should be."

I agree with him. We've been calling for flat out racing without tiptoeing around the tyres all year and now we had a race like that a lot of people didn't seem to like it. Vettel ran away with it and the DRS was a bit too powerful at times, but I really struggle to see how it was less than a 7 or worse than Monaco! Anyone care to enlighten me what they thought was missing?

I think it was just the fact that Canada has been so good in recent years that we've been spoiled and expected a classic again this year, something that obviously didn't materialise. At almost any other track it probably would have been easily a 7 but there was something underwhelming about it because it was Canada, plus the fact that Vettel dominated and DRS robbed us of a battle between Hamilton and Alonso.

sushifiesta -I've been banging on about how we need wearing tyres for weeks. It was worse than Monaco because the battles in MC were a joy, the race winner wasn't 100% certain from Turn 4 and it had some level of tactical intrigue.

These threads and polls just show everyone is looking for something different.

Monaco is an affront to racing, Canada was boring.

im sorry guys!, but as i say before im mexican, so i would love to know, what yoy guys mean with 'going fla-out'. ppleaseee! lol
a 7 to me, it was exited to me the way that Alonso raced, also Massa was fighting pretty good, Bottas tryin to defend, Di resta, making he´s tyres last for so long and in a good ritm, wow, But watching Vettel laping almost everybody, mmm thats no the type of race i like, thats why i like to watch gp2, more competitive categorie.}
I like Jenson Button comment 'we were laped so easy, i felt like we were in a different categorie!!' The ugly truth for Mclaren.

and Bahrain is the best race on the calender!

.....ermmm....hang on.....

(Bahrain will be the first GP of 2014 now by the way hence us seeing Bernie with the Prince at the weekend)

Canada is one of my favourite F1 events of the year but this one has left me with very mixed impressions. Watching it live on the Beeb was a blessing as I don't have Sky. Usually I have just the timing screen and a dodgy feed up on my laptop. For a change I had the Beeb feed up on my main TV, the "pit lane" BBC red button feed on my little portable TV and live timing and dodgy feed on the laptop. So there was a lot going on and that made the race itself very enjoyable.

Had I only had the Beeb I think I would have been bored stupid as the FOM producer seemed to be disinterested in what was going on behind the front half dozen or so runners. The commentary team were too busy telling us about what we could see on screen which was a fraction of the action.

So for the race I'm going to give it a 7 because the cooler conditions and mixed up grid did did something to create a race and following the exploits of Alonso and his chase down of Hamilton on the timing screen was intense.

For the TV coverage, it was a massive fail and I'm not surprised that a lot of people didn't enjoy it as much as I did. I can't bring myself to deduct points from the race because of that, so a 7 it is.

I have to say whilst we did see a lot of the action behind the front six I never felt out of touch with the front stuff so Sky must have done a better job of keeping us up to date I think.

Come to think of it though I can't remember seeing JEV for the entire race!

I really don't think the BBC commentary (and indeed the whole show) is very good at all this year. I much prefer Sky's coverage, but unfortunately I only watch a dodgy internet feed fpr that too.

Thank heavens for Live Timing!
Otherwise I would have missed Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes completely cocking up their race strategy.
Aside from Lewis pootling along conserving tyres when he should have been putting his peddle to the metal, then blaming backmarkers for losing 2nd place, I sort of enjoyed the race.

Fernando Alonso
Lap 47 PIT
47 1:30.971
48 1:19.764
49 1:17.699
50 1:17.072
51 1:16.830
52 1:16.895
53 1:16.734
54 1:16.890
55 1:16.758
56 1:16.691
57 1:16.457
58 1:16.429
59 1:17.254
60 1:16.616

Lewis Hamilton
Lap 48 PIT
48 1:31.546
49 1:20.198
50 1:18.222
51 1:17.976
52 1:17.573
53 1:17.230
54 1:17.586
55 1:17.560
56 1:17.155
57 1:16.727
58 1:16.646
59 1:17.764
60 1:16.651

Both Lewis and Fernando were circulating in the mid 1:17s from lap 40 and 38 respectively. So Lewis could have done far quicker laps, far sooner after his pitstop, if his engineer had the nous to tell Lewis to pull his finger out.

Back
Top Bottom