Nico Rosberg

Nico Erik Rosberg, son of Keijo "Keke" Erik Rosberg, is about to have his 100th Grand Prix meeting this weekend in Hungary.

I was about to write my "best wishes" to him in 'his' thread...but I couldn't find one...so, I figured I might as well start it off.

What is very interesting is that his father, Keke, took part in 114 Grand Prix races in his entire Formula One career, winning 5 of them - all for Williams from 1982 to 1985 - as well as a World Championship.

It's interesting in that Nico is approaching that number quickly and he's already about to finish off his 6th season in a few months...but without a win to his name...and no win in sight given the current pecking order of the cars.

Some say Nico is a great talent...while others say he hasn't fared well against quality teammates in their prime, so it's hard to judge. Mark Webber is, seemingly, his only reasonable benchmark and that was way back in his rookie season in a car that was one of the worst ones ever constructed by Williams.

What are people's thoughts on Nico Rosberg?

Regardless, Godspeed to Nico on the occassion of his 100th Grand Prix this weekend! :)

It was hardly the Schumie of the late 90's early 00's that Nico beat though. He has been comfortably put back in his box by Lewis.

It's possible that decades from now Nico Rosberg WI be talked about in the same vein as Riccardo Patrese and Gerhard Berger - likeable (unless your James Hunt) but not too notch.

Interesting point. Out of interest, how would you rate the three? I don't recall Patrese or Berger being as close to their respective world champion team mates for example. Also, could you imagine Hamilton pulling over and letting Rosberg through, by way of a thankyou, as Mansell did for Patrese in 92?

Also, could you imagine Hamilton pulling over and letting Rosberg through, by way of a thankyou, as Mansell did for Patrese in 92?

------------------------

The story of Mansell and Patrese at Williams was a curious one actually,because Patrese was more than a match in '91 and often beat him fair and square especially in the first half of the season.
Then in 1992 it was like he didn't turn up?...

We're going a bit off topic here but the story I heard was that Riccardo wasn't able to just throw a car into a corner and let all the gizmos and gadgets do their stuff in the way Nigel could. You could argue he had a better feel for a car than Mansell or that he wasn't able to adapt to the new technology. I'm going with the second.

He very much accepted his number two role to Mansell's number one on a British team. But he left at the end of the season and went to Benneton. I would have done the same thing.

If Rosberg is remembered in the same vein as Berger and especially Patrese that will be a huge disservice in my opinion. I would go as far as to say he is closer to being a top driver than Mansell, Piquet or Rosberg senior ever were, as he has been consistently closely matched with one of the top drivers of this era (Hamilton) which is something neither of the other 3 ever achieved.

If Mercedes pull a Williams 1996 moment tomorrow, Rosberg would be a dominant and deserving champion paired with almost any team-mate.

That we talk of mind games in his battle with an all-time great is testament to that, and he does affect Hamilton too.

Interesting I would put Rosberg higher than Patrese who was a wild man turned journeyman before a brief upturn showed his abilities

Rosberg would be slightly higher than Berger because he could not beat Senna in a straight fight and was usually down to some problem that he did.

Rosberg would be more remembered as the eternal bridesmaid if he continues getting beat.

Spinodontosaurus I'm sure you have some stats to prove it but that's you massively underestimating Mansell and Piquet. Both those drivers had the killer instinct that I've never seen in Nico.

If there was a chance for a win they'd exploit it. Which is what makes a top driver a top driver for me. Nico let's too many opportunities go. Which is exactly what Berger and Patrese were like hence me comparing them. I could chuck Webber in the list too. All of these drivers had their higher rated team mates in their sights and couldn't pull the trigger.

Will Rosberg vs Hamilton part 3 will begin soon, whilst he may not have the killer instinct like Hamilton he may find ways to outsmart Lewis. I mean Prost certainly did not have the same killer instinct as Senna and even questioned if it was worth the risks.

Nico has been compared to Prost so we'll see if father time has done Nico any favours this winter.

teabagyokel In terms of being analytical and being to put everything together it certainly seems he has those traits but probably lacks the Professor's political astuteness and tactical racing

Clive James commentated on F1 in the early 80's. Go on Youtube and look up, I think it's called 'two til the end' or something like that. It's absolutely hilarious with Clive James commentary. I'm sure I've posted links on here before.

Edit:

Here you go:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom