Current Sir Lewis Carl Davidson Hamilton MBE

A place to put all the posts from all the other threads primarily but love him or hate him, and even for the indifferent amongst us this is the place to discuss the marmite that is Lewis Hamilton, to learn a thing or two about his rise, talk about those controversial, genius or mad moments and something that i am bemused by, the recent articles that suggest something quite different to my perception of what's going on. Any experiences of meeting LH?

Brundle had to write a Lewis Hamilton article recently and in my tweets (which were probably ignored) I asked him to talk about LH the driver not LH the personality. It seems that you can't have one without the other.

So as a starter for ten, here is a fairly recent LH article. Posts should not be limited to this link but it can get some discussion going. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13755883.stm

The only banned topic as it is clearly ridiculous involves these four things "Glock" "2008" "Brazil" "conspiracy"

I think Korea last weekend was a perfect example of Hamilton's 'Never say die' attitude

Do I really need to remind you of Hockenheim 2012 when Lewis got a puncture and wanted to give up and was told by the team to stay in the race, please don't try and sell me bull because I ain't buying any, all drivers and all human beings get down in the mouth at some time or other and can't be bothered to carry on and Lewis is no exception he has displayed this side of his character on many occasions throughout his career, be it on the track or letting his private life interfere with his on track performances, just as he has shown some great fighting spirit, I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but it is the truth...

Last edited:
Do I really need to remind you of Hockenheim 2012 when Lewis got a puncture and wanted to give up and was told by the team to stay in the race, please don't try and sell me bull because I ain't buying any, all drivers and all human beings get down in the mouth at some time or other and can't be bothered to carry on and Lewis is no exception he has displayed this side of his character on many occasions throughout his career, be it on the track or letting his private life interfere with his on track performances, just as he has shown some great fighting spirit, I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but it is the truth...

You mean the GP where he unlapped himself from Vettel? Remember what happened after the race? They had a good look at the car and found it was well and truly broken. So needless to say, that's a terrible example.

So what you are all saying is that Lewis has never felt anything other than complete passion for the sport and has never in his life felt like sod it and has never ever let outside influences affect him either on or off the track? That's very commendable of him.

"Hamilton said that while there is "no one (in F1) like Adrian Newey", someone like Brawn might be more replaceable..."

"..."There is going to be someone out there who can do the same or better and they just haven't had the chance," added Hamilton."

Is it any wonder he is so popular around the paddock?

The devil is in the detail and the context:

Quote "Hamilton said that while there is "no one (in F1) like Adrian Newey", someone like Brawn might be more replaceable. "Maybe, maybe not," he said." End quote

Newey is head of RBR's design team and has direct input and control over that. Brawn as team principal is not so "hands on". It's a perfectly fair question, then, as to whom is the most replaceable.

Note: my underlining and bold highlights - not for emphasis, just illustration

Edit: Thankfully, those actually in F1 are probably intelligent enough to understand what Hamilton means. I do and I'm old and losing it.LOL

Last edited:
Wow Lewis is so hard on himself. I don't know if thats what makes him try harder or fight more, but he blamed himself totally in the sky interview. Really down and fed up. Clearly he didn't have a car with a good enough 7th gear he was stuck behind cars all race even with DRS advantage and opponents on wasted tyres.

Indeed Greenlantern101 Ant Davidson illustrated that very clearly with his Sky pad thingy. That was somewhat reassuring to me because that was something I observed for myself - Lewis made me doubt my judgement when he was knocking himself to bits. The other thing I noticed in the race was the lack of traction the Merc' still appears suffer. You could visibly see the difference between the guys getting the power down as they exited turns. That made Hamilton's job even harder as the gaps grew before he could even open the DRS. The best illustration of that was when Massa was able to capitalise and pounce on him.

Was challenging for pole, car gave up on him. Then got boxed in at the start behind Vettel. Poor 7th gear then saw to the rest of his race.

Quite similar to India, where both he and Rosberg couldn't pass Massa. Rosberg got the job done in the pits, Hamilton didn't get that chance and so lost a ton of time behind other cars.

Bad luck, but you make your own luck.

Hamilton's been in this position a few times. It isn't the first time he's been boxed in, you have to make a judgement call whether to go for the high pay off inside line or lower reward but lower risk normal line.

This isn't the only time Hamilton has been too slow in a straight line. What is Friday practice all about?? Surely they know what speed is required on the straight and set wing levels and gearing accordingly. And at tracks like Abu Dhabi where the only place to overtake is in the DRS zones where's the mystery? And as someone has already mentioned the traction out of the corners is very poor - why?

Whatever the reasons the root cause IMO is tyres (as ever) which just don't suit Hamiltons driving style and as a result he's always having to compromise his setup to help make them last longer. Rossberg doesn't seem to have as big a problem and hence can run with less wing making it more effective at tracks where the DRS zones are king (as in the last 2 races). As a Hamilton fan I just hope next years car will be more suited to his driving style which would give him a wider setup window.

Back
Top Bottom