Poll Is it time for cockpit canopies ?

F1 should introduce cockpit canopies

• Total voters
Anything that makes racing safer gets my vote. I want to watch racing, not people dying. The danger aspect has no appeal for me.

Stopping it altogether?

To be honest, I agree 100% with the sentiment, and that action should be taken to improve safety wherever possible, but I cannot help but think that something as radical as canopies would need an extremely thorough evaluation before implementation. All the racing series with covered cars (that I am aware of at least) have methods of exit for the driver, which have evolved through the years. F1 introducing canopies could well prevent some (a good thing) but could also turn many other incidents, some of which we may currently not really notice too much into something more serious.

I think that the more realistic approach currently is as described, with a "virtual safety car" and better rules regarding recovery vehicles. Maybe even a canopy working group to establish effects across a wide number of expected scenarios.

I don't see any reason why a quick release system for a canopy could not be implemented. Drivers already have to remove steering wheels, 5 point harnesses AND the head brace before they can get out a car. The canopy and head brace could be a combined item. In the event of a fire it would be just as quick to get out as it is currently and with the added benefit that fire is prevented from entering the cockpit in extreme cases or in cases where the driver is unconscious.

The argument that it would be difficult to exit an overturned car is rather stupid in my opinion, clearly any canopy would need to be lower then the roll hoop. An upside down car would have to be able to remove the canopy just as they have to be able to remove wheels, belts and head restraints at the moment.

The argument that is reduces visibility in rain. Here's an radical idea how about some sort of automated wiper to go back and forth the windscreen. We could call them windscreen wipers. We could even see that technology taken over to road cars...oh hang on.

These are very simple design requirements. Not reasons for refusing implementation.

What about from a spectators point of view, the ones that watch open cockpit racing because they like seeing their fav driver at work they like recognizing him from his helmet they like watching his hands sawing away at the steering wheel trying to correct oversteer or understeer once you stick a canopy on, that part of the show is gone the car will be completely anonymous, they may as well be driven by remote control from the pit wall or become completely autonomous of man, that would make them a lot safer...

Last edited:
I have to start by saying anything that can make the drivers safer in the car is a good thing, but should be considered in the light of what it means to the sport. Making the cars slower overall makes he drivers safer, but does anyone actually want to pay to go watch a race of Smart Cars running round Silverstone (actually that would be quite funny for a while, but never a serious race).

Canopies on cars are a good and bad thing, and we should not be looking at jet fighters for justification to apply them here as the situation is completely different (if your jet fighter is upside down on the ground with you inside it, count yourself lucky for surviving the crash in the first place).

Please consider that the only sure fire way to have a quick release system on any canopy which will still work in a crash situation reliably is explosive bolts. Manual catches or anything that is done by hand is out as any crash could damage the release mechanism and therefore trap a driver inside the cockpit. The explosive bolt system would need to be automatic as manual triggers are not the best idea inside a cramped F1 car, and external triggers can be set off accidentally by flying debris. So we end up with a canopy with explosive bolt release that is automatically triggered by an accident. You cannot rely on a driver to eject an virtually unbreakable canopy from an internal switch as in the case of Bianchi he would have been unconscious and it would have delayed medical assistance being able to reach him.

Not so bad so far, until you add this in, every accident that ends up with the car upright and unrestricted would mean a red flag due to flying canopies on the track. Any accident that ended up like Bianchis would do more damage to the driver as the system tried to eject the canopy and all the force of the ejection is contained under a crane inside the car. As for a car upside down the best case scenario is that the force is contained within the car, worst case is the contrary pressure between the ground and the canopy ejection causes massive failure of the covering showering everyone with shards of canopy or that the ejection cause the car to move further, in some areas with little run off pushing it back onto the live track in front of oncoming cars.

The only reason why canopies work on jet fighters is that they are in the air with no restrictions around them. On a car they are not good and definitely not safer.

Come up with something that works and is safer and I will embrace it whole heartedly, but the canopy idea is more dangerous than no canopy and will cause more injuries than it saves. Sorry, just the way it is :(

A clear argument against canopies here. If this incident had happened after a crash and the driver knocked unconscious the implications could be very severe.

That has to be the worst marshalling I have ever seen. Huge delay.

Arguably the fire is outside the cockpit. The canopy would of protected an unconcious driver from the flames whilst the fire marshals got off their ****ing arses and did their job.

Cockpits have fire supression systems in them so less risk of a fire inside the cockpit.

Last edited:
And what about smoke inhalation and fumes from the extinguishers and heat from the flames even with a canopy the cockpits cannot be hermetically sealed you know, the bloke driving the car has to be able to breath...

Sometimes getting a driver out is tricky if you can't remove the cockpit protection, let alone a canopy. And you can't always rely on the firefighting equipment working either....

Last edited:
I think it's fair to say that there are a number of scenarios where it causes a problem and a number that it helps. I can't help thinking, though, that considering the rate of speed he was carrying, if he had received exactly the same injury from going straight into the tyres there would be absolutely no mention of canopies as a potential solution.

The problem is that it is pointless to change what you have which carries know hazards to something that may or may not solve those hazzard but will definitely produce new foreseeable hazards..

Back
Top Bottom