IRL Delta Wing Plans - the way forward for F1?

I like the wingless Honda that FB posted and it would be interesting to see the aero boys overcome the loss of adjustable wings. Although I'm under no illusions that it will lead to a reliance on mechanical grip... sure as eggs is eggs these will be ground effect cars even if they don't have skirts.

I guess I like it because it is a radical departure while maintaining the open wheel / open cockpit aspects of Indy / F1.

The Dallara's don't seem to offer anything new.
The Swift Batmobile is just wrong and you wouldn't want to get skewered on one.
The RedBull is Ok but closed wheels and cockpit aren't Indy or F1 in my book.
Leaving the Delta car which will be an intersting development in endurance racing but has little relevance here...

The new IRL shapes are not a million miles away from this:

red-bull-x1-prototype-front-640x689.jpg

Could we see the X2010 or something similar on a track sometime soon?

I was looking through the thread thinking of the Red Bull X2010 from Gran Turismo. Well, if these new things go like this does in GT5 we'll be in for a treat! LOL

Found this as a suggestion of what the cars might look like...

indycar12.jpg

Like the look of this, my only concern would be crash testing it and not for the driver in the car, but the other car it hits. Just with the wings on the front of the car, wouldn't the wings act as a crumple effect and slow the impact down (not by much but it would have some effect)? Just with this car t-boning another it would be like a 200mph spear hitting another car or would they lower the nose as you can see...... :bored:

Back
Top Bottom