Current Fernando Alonso

Suprised there's no thread (although I had one for his blogs), so i'll start off:

A double world championship vs Raikkonen and then Schumacher in 2005 and 2006 respectively elevated Alonso's status but, apparently, no one told his rookie teammate at his brand new team of a theoretical 'pecking order' the following season ... and the Spaniard was 'seen off' by the young Englishman, Hamilton, into two years of Wilderness while both Hamilton and an even younger Vettel began to make their mark through '08 and '09.

Arguably, Alonso was in the Top 3 of all the Formula One 'Aces' in the 2000s following Hakkinen's retirement - up there with either Schumacher/Raikkonen and, then, Raikkonen/Hamilton - and remains so in the early 2010s along with Hamilton/Vettel...with only Kubica knocking on the door until the Pole's horrible Rallying accident.

A question mark initially over 2004 during which Trulli lead him in the standing until the Italian fell out with ex-manager and team boss Flavio Briatore (Alonso's then business manager) under dubious circumstances after the French Grand Prix.

Another question mark is...Who has progressed more since the end of 2007: Hamilton or Alonso?

A fan. Then came the unfortunate blackmail allegations against McLaren boss Ron Dennis on the morning of the 2007 Hungarian GP which came to light at the highly costly FIA 'Spy-Gate' hearings before Spa...followed by the odour of the deliberate crashing of the Number 2 Renault car at Singapore in 2008 which lead to Alonso finishing 1st in the event and ended in the banning of Briatore and Pat Symmonds a year later.

2009 was a poor year with 'Nando's' mind likely on the prospect of Santander paving the way to better prospects at Maranello one year earlier.

2010 was a fresh start at Ferrari (who no longer had Schumacher walking through the premises regularly) but first half season mistakes ultimately cost him a title inspite of being infamously aided by a Team Orders switch w Massa at Hockenheim (which lead to more world-wide criticism).

Relatively fast, relatively consistent but prone to mistakes and a possible insecurity complex (*) based on wanting sole focus from a team and being only happy with a Number 2 in the other car running behind him. Anything else and it seemingly rattles him.

(*) This is my own personal opinion.

..and so to 2011...

He's underperformed only at Malaysia (hit Hamilton) and China (invisible while Massa challenged McLarens and Red Bulls) and, arguably, Canada...but has maximized his chances in the other 6 races culminating in the British GP win.

He said in his post-Monaco blog that 'Silverstone would be the WDC cut-off'...and so, after some major upgrades, the Ferrari looks a winner again. It might be too late for 2011 given Vettel's finishing rate...but the 2012 regs means they should keep the hammer down at Maranello.

He's signed on through to 2016...So hopes are high of a WDC at some juncture...but not yet.

These tweets smell of desperate back pedalling.

screenshot.7.jpg

How McLaren react is irrelevant, it's how Honda react which is going to be more important. If the rumours are to be believed they are picking up the tab for Fernando's salary and if he pisses them off (which I suspect those radio messages were either designed to do or will do) then he will be out of the door.

Storm, teacup. He said something in the heat of the moment, driver have said much worse. What McLaren would have been worried about was if he didn't care.

I'll go back to it but Alonso does have form for embarrassing his team publicly on the radio at the worst place possible.

He can't really be claiming he didn't realise it would cause such a fuss after 'idiot gate' a few years back can he?

RasputinLives Was it humiliating ? Yes indeed most certainly

Why he did it ? If you think what has gone on previously where Mr Arai keeps saying the engine is better than Renaults and there was an upgrade in performance which never came and then the supposedly rumour that Mclaren demanded Mr Arai to be sacked and only to backtrack on it .

I think he's made Honda realise you have got two world champions in the team but your engine is :censored: and here is proof at your home race.

Its a high risk and calculating move but I think it will make Honda execs wake up and realise if they have to redouble their efforts or continue to embarrass themselves. They ought to stop kidding themselves on what they are being fed by Mr Arai about their engine

So what if he's got the sack or left ? He gets the sack for speaking the utter truth and upsetting too many people at Honda ! or he left because even he the best driver in the world could not sort out the mess and they lie at Honda's feet for not providing a competitive engine for a proven competitor to car with the chassis

whatever Honda is doing , it clearly aint working so that is not hard to see

Senna has done it in the past and somehow Honda engineers really responded to him when he demanded more powerful engines but we did not have radio communications those days to hear what he would have said to the pits

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I read an article in F1 magazine about Vettel and Ferrari and how he compares with Schumacher and they mention Alonso's situation. Alonso left Ferrari because he could see that what Luca had as a structure ( do things the Italian way) clearly was not working and wanted Domenicali to go force the issue further up the chain and change things around . Domenicali was not able to offer him these assurances which he saw as surrendering and ultimately left him disillusioned and he chose to leave

The same situation could come at Mclaren now and I wonder now if this is what is holding whether Button stays or not. Mclaren can lose 1 driver but 2 drivers would be an admission of complete failure on both Mclaren and Honda

He took the only option open to him that might somehow get him to the front. A last resort. Thats far from being convinced by them to join because it was a winning combination

On paper Mclaren and HOnda both with championship pedigree and exclusive partnership therefore works team sounds like it would be an ingredient of a winning combination. Alonso did not expect them to be fighting Marussias

Oh ok. Thats ok for him to embarras and rubbish his employer in a public forum.....in their home office......in front of all their business partners. ;)

.... Alonso did not expect them to be fighting Marussias

He isn't.

In part of the Beeb interview Dennis said that they were slightly slower through the corners than Mecedes and RBR but quicker than Ferrari. This is worked out by the sound from the engines, it seems most of the teams use this method to work out their competitors speeds at various places round the circuits.

RasputinLives I did not say it was okay for him to embarrass his employers in my previous post but it was a like a message to Honda to stop kidding themselves and take a look at the real situation . So stop listening to what you've been spoon fed by Mr Arai and seriously do something about it

It can be very hard to interact with the Japanese culture but Senna managed somehow and HOnda loved him without going overboard like Alonso did today

Back
Top Bottom