F1 to BBC4?

Gonna be tough for Murdoch now because of the "News of the World" allegations which could stop NewsCorp taking over Sky as Ofcom could say they are an unfit company.

If BBC drop it I would accept CH 4 as the best of the rest to replace it.

As for the advert thing - I never understood how ITV had an agreement to not show ads over the football and therefore put loads of ads on before and after the match but couldn't apply that to F1.

Alternativly why not do what I've seen in the U.S and when the adverts come on still have the footage from the race in the top corner.

If BBC drop it I would accept CH 4 as the best of the rest to replace it.

As for the advert thing - I never understood how ITV had an agreement to not show ads over the football and therefore put loads of ads on before and after the match but couldn't apply that to F1.

Alternativly why not do what I've seen in the U.S and when the adverts come on still have the footage from the race in the top corner.

... or have the ads in the top corner, or a side bar. Despite the ads not taking full stage, this would create a much more valuable advertising slot as ads could be much more contextual (higher conversion rates) and the viewers wouldn't be in the kitchen making cups of tea whilst they were shown on the TV screen in the living room (larger viewing figures).

For commercial TV, I would have thought that this approach would have been a no-brainer.

CH 5? blimey. That would be a coup for them. Make a change from all those "come look at the freaks" shows they do.

I would suggest they would have even more adverts than ITV over it because for once they're certain that someone is actually watching!

In the US, we pay to watch F1 and we also have adverts. But, we don't pay a bloody cent to the Gov for a TV license. It has always seemed a bit strange to me that a citizen would pay a for a license to have a electronic device (even if it is never turned on) that had programming chosen by a Gov agency. Strange that, indeed. Couldn't they chose to just run 50 odd years of reruns, and still collect their fees from the license? Maybe I just don't understand.

Why do they care about the quality of their programming? You still have to pay the fees even if it is shite!

Here's a thought - if free-to-air is so important to the teams & their sponsors, why don't they stump up the BBC's fee between them? - 12 teams at £5m each should more than cover it - and we get to keep our peerless ad-free coverage! Simples...:thumbsup:

Having watched the British GP in Greece (no live qualifying, 5mins of introduction, multiple very lengthy ad breaks throughout) I am hoping against hope that somehow it can stay on the BBC. The best chance, at the moment, seems to be that none of the other terrestrial broadcasters want it. Certainly none of them are rolling in cash.

Why do they care about the quality of their programming? You still have to pay the fees even if it is shite!

The BBC is neurotically paranoid about programming quality, since senior executives live in constant fear of the licence fee being abolished by government. Judging by the current output, this seems to be a much more powerful incentive than those of the typically commercial broadcasters, actually.

In the US, we pay to watch F1 and we also have adverts. But, we don't pay a bloody cent to the Gov for a TV license. It has always seemed a bit strange to me that a citizen would pay a for a license to have a electronic device (even if it is never turned on) that had programming chosen by a Gov agency. Strange that, indeed. Couldn't they chose to just run 50 odd years of reruns, and still collect their fees from the license? Maybe I just don't understand.

I have to say I agree with Licence fee - the fact that there is a licence means that the BBC has to cator for all cross sections of the public and all tastes. Hence the variety of programmes rather than the 'X-Factor' for the masses type stuff. Means they're obliged to cover the Proms, or the Sony Music Awards or make programmes like Planet Earth etc.

I'm a big supporter of the licence system - the small payment a year means that, in theory, we have an unbiased media able to present us with programming and content which is not influenced by any major coporation or business which is pulling the strings of the station through financing it.

I would take the BBC over any of media network.

Here's a thought - if free-to-air is so important to the teams & their sponsors, why don't they stump up the BBC's fee between them? - 12 teams at £5m each should more than cover it - and we get to keep our peerless ad-free coverage! Simples...:thumbsup:

How about F1's own free to air digital channel? They could even make a bit of profit by only showing the practice, qualifying and race for free and asking for a small fee to view the channel the rest of the time. Programming the rest of the time could be filled with GP2 and other forumula as well as Re-runs of old F1 races and old Docs.

Raspy - I like the cut of your jib there sir! :ok:

Do you think we'd ever be able to tear ourselves away from that channel though? I suspect a serious "F1 TV" channel addiction could dramatically boost the national divorce rate...:snacks:

I haven't got official figures but a few days after every race on the BBC F1 web-site there seems to be a tweet from Jake Humphrey saying that more people than ever watched that particular race. For example, from Germany:

Highest viewing figures for German Grand Prix since 1996 on the BBC this weekend. Thank you. #bbcf1

And from Silverstone:

Average TV audience 600,000 up on last year, 6.7m watched the British Grand Prix. #bbcf1 goes from strength to strength..! #poweroff1fans

I wonder if Jake is trying to make these sort of things public to persuade the BBC execs to keep F1? Also, although it's not cheap, with two British world champions, more teams based in the UK than anywhere else and viewing figures higher than ever I think there is a very strong argument for the BBC to keep it.

Back
Top Bottom