Gaming F1 2012

Thank god its still too lenient on corner cutting! I got myself in all kinds of trouble in 2011. Mostly because I was cutting corners but a few times I would put my wheel right on the edge of the kerb and it would get me for corner cutting.

Yesterday I bought F1 2012, and can't say how disappointed that I am, and how sorry that I feel by purchasing it. Their seems to be serious issues regarding steering control. I have a Logitech Driving Force GT steering wheel for the PS3, and right out of the box, couldn't drive down a straight without twitching and weaving all over the place and crashing into a wall, something that never occurred with F1 2011. I also don't get the feeling that I'm on the road like F1 2011, but instead floating on top of a cushion of air, and another problem is massive understeer.

A problem with F1 2012 could just be with steering wheels, as expressed by others on the followinfg site.

http://community.codemasters.com/t5...n/Help-needed-with-Steering-issues/td-p/53008

lewymp4 Have you read up on the deadzone, linearity and saturation setting? One of those does magnify even the slightest movement.

I had a very twitchy start with 2011 (perhaps not as bad as some are reporting in the link). I have an xbox and microsoft wheel and the 2012 demo was ok for me - it might just be PS3 problems?

jez101...Owners of the Mad Catz wheel are also making similar complaints. I owned both Codemaster's F1 2010 and F1 2011, and neither of them had this problem right out of the box like F1 2012.

Regarding deadzone, linearity and saturation..... I have used basically the same settings on both F1 2010 and F1 2011, and they worked just fine, but simply undriveable with the F1 2012.

I'm open to any suggestions that might be able to help me with this problem, regarding steering deadzone, linearuty and saturation.

The deadzone affects you in a straight line. Basically a 1% deadzone means that you have to move the wheel more than +/- 1% to register. If you set this at 50%, nothing less than half a wheel turn will be registered. I use 2%

Steering Saturation is how quickly your wheel responds to your movements. At one end of this spectrum, a small turn is magnified, at the other it is dampened.

Steering Linearity is the amount of turn of your wheel compared to the amount of wheel turn in game. 100% is a 1:1 mapping and 50% means if you make half a turn of your wheel, it corresponds to full lock

I noticed some people had suggested some settings on that thread, so if you can find someone with the same wheel and console as you, then start there I suggest.

Obviously, I haven't experienced it, but it sounds a bit like a deadzone and saturation problem.I had that when I first tried my xbox FF wheel with 2011 for the first time. 2% / 25% / 50% worked for me on that version.

Might be worth doing this with braking assists on just to eliminate another variable?

Try dramatically increasing / decreasing that and see what difference it makes. Then do the same with linearity. Try to make one change at a time, drive a bit (a few corners will usually be enough at this level of tweaking), then through the options menu change it while on track.

Good luck! I don't know whether it is a bug or not. If it is, then maybe you can make the game playabale until they patch it?

The deadzone affects you in a straight line. Basically a 1% deadzone means that you have to move the wheel more than +/- 1% to register. If you set this at 50%, nothing less than half a wheel turn will be registered. I use 2%

Steering Saturation is how quickly your wheel responds to your movements. At one end of this spectrum, a small turn is magnified, at the other it is dampened.

Steering Linearity is the amount of turn of your wheel compared to the amount of wheel turn in game. 100% is a 1:1 mapping and 50% means if you make half a turn of your wheel, it corresponds to full lock

I noticed some people had suggested some settings on that thread, so if you can find someone with the same wheel and console as you, then start there I suggest.

Obviously, I haven't experienced it, but it sounds a bit like a deadzone and saturation problem.I had that when I first tried my xbox FF wheel with 2011 for the first time. 2% / 25% / 50% worked for me on that version.

Might be worth doing this with braking assists on just to eliminate another variable?

Try dramatically increasing / decreasing that and see what difference it makes. Then do the same with linearity. Try to make one change at a time, drive a bit (a few corners will usually be enough at this level of tweaking), then through the options menu change it while on track.

Good luck! I don't know whether it is a bug or not. If it is, then maybe you can make the game playabale until they patch it?

jez101 I really appreciate your info.....:thankyou:

Just downloaded the demo, 1st thing I have noticed is that they have altered the steering lock on the DFGT. instead of having the full of the wheels capacity it is now limited to suit the F1 steering lock, not sure how much difference this will make but will find out soon!

I found that the cars were incredibly unstable as I was driving them down the pit straight of Monza in the demo. Any slight correction I made seem to make the back end step out and what was supposed to be a small dircetional change turned very quickly into a bowl moving tank slapper.

The back end does seem increddibly light and less planted than last years iteration. I am sure this is a good thing, however it will take some getting used to. I have been reading reviews from you and around the web and I think I will pick the game up. I have been extremely excited about this game for some time. I just don't want to be dissapointed.

I can see myself making much more use out of the practice sessions this time around than I did before.

Just spent another 30 mins on the demo. The higher the saturation the more drunk the car feels. I ended up with about 5% and it feels quite good. Still very understeery when on the power while off the racing line. I suspect that might be intended, but hoping the custom setup can give me more front end bite in the full game!

A bit of understeer making the game a little harder, but take off the assists, and it's fairly easy, never spin, and only lock up slightly.

What's that about?

I was excited for the game but still needed some convincing. However, after picking it up this weekend I would deffinately recommend it. Like the reviews say, there isn't one big change this time around that you can point to. It's an amalgamation of improvements that have tidied up the series and set it above the previous iterations.

I have mostly given up trying to figure out which setup to use for the DFGT steering wheel in PS3. I am fairly close, but it's still off enough where I would rather just use the controller. But that's fine with me too.

Westy, I was like you when it first came out, but now that I've played it, I can't stop. I have never been a big on-line player, but now I am doing that all the time. Great game, but I wish they would add an actual Season (like Formula 1 Championship Edition had).

If you're having trouble with your steering wheel on PS3, try these, they have been working pretty well for me. I guess the best advice I can give is a little goes a long ways and always remember to take your foot off the brake before you turn. It sounds stupid, but just keep it to the basics and try to drive smooth. Smooth throttle, smooth braking, smooth steering and practice. These aren't the perfect setups, so it still takes some time to get used to what the game is looking for, so keep trying and you'll adjust. IMG_20120926_210559.jpgIMG_20120926_210620.jpg Lastly I use the Driving Force GT wheel/pedals

I got the full game yesterday - an impulse purchase while doing the weekly shop at tescos :D

It certainly seems less understeery than the demo and in general seems a nicer and more nuanced driving experience than 2011. It seems that the controller has had some time spent on it making steering less jerky. The ai also seems better.

It's a definite improvement over 2011. Certainly worth getting if you haven't got 11. Whether you want to spend the cash on what seems like lots of little improvements is another matter. If it falls into your trolley like mine did making you forget that you are spending £30, then you probably won't complain ;)

Much better game than 2011, especially the dynamic weather. Had a great wet race around Bahrain the other day with Bushi.

The Texas track is pretty good, after a number of laps in TT last night I managed a 1:35.7.

Back
Top Bottom