Doping in sport

The Rio Olympics are definitely in danger of becoming a disaster (as many could have forecast) and now the Lab that was expected to handle the athlete samples has been shut down.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/25/sports/olympics/rio-drug-testing-lab-is-suspended-by-wada.html

I guess it couldn't be worse than Sochi though;

The longtime director of Russia’s lab, Grigory Rodchenkov, told The New York Times that after he was cleared to run the Sochi lab, he had tampered with roughly 100 of the 1,917 urine samples the facility tested. He said he had substituted out the steroid-laced urine of dozens of Russian athletes, at least 15 of whom won medals at Sochi — where Russia placed first in the overall medal count.

But they are not capable of embarrassment FB which is the worst thing. It's just more for the Putin grist mill concerning US cheating.

Amazing how many top class athletes are asthmatic isn't it? I remember the asthmatics at school either being the ones wheezing round at the back in the 1500 meters or having a note from their mum asking to be excused. If only they had all known that if they had persevered with their inhalers they would all have gold medals today.

Guy in my cycle club has a wheeze on his inhaler before tough climbs.
I'd give it a go, but I'd probably lose my coaching licence.

I worked briefly in the RN careers office in Bristol while waiting to join my next unit. We were told to ask perspective recruits about asthma and anyone who had been diagnosed with it wasn't allowed to join.

The other one that I find odd are the hard core Hayfever injections. I use supermarket own brand antihistamines and they do the job A treat. No need for an exemption there.

It's similar to a super athletic Maria Sharipova receiving monthly treatment for ten years using a drug normally used to treat heart conditions.

Some things are legal and some things aren't. Its funny where they draw the line isn't it?

Then don't do it. If you're fit and well you don't need to exercise, if you're not fit and well you shouldn't exercise.

Anyway, sounds like a good excuse to get some steroids into them "legitimately".

Apparently it is quite easy to see who is a professional athlete and who isn't simply from looking at blood test. Where for a normal person most substances on the banned list are well below the "allowed" thresholds with may be one close to the threshold due to natural variation, for an athlete essentially all banned substances will appear just below the threshold values. (At least this is what chemical analysts working in anti-doping labs tell me.)

Given the trajectory of his career over the last four years, the only thing he could be guilty of taking is performance decreasing drugs.

I'm sometimes prone to defending Russia's motives (not methods) in world affairs, given the West's immense fear of the Soviet/Russian empire over the last century, but in this case they are 100% bang to rights. I wonder what repercussions there will be, once the all the details of global trade and energy supply have been taken into account. I hope it's more than a slap on the wrist.

And how funny looks that WADA gives to use hard drugs for elected representatives sports of the "civilized" nations.
But at the same time coming up with stories about meldonium that thirty years is the usual remedy for the heart.

Back
Top Bottom