Cycling

I've got my camping ticket for Hawes, Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. So all I have to do then is walk up the Buttertubs.

In the days when I could do such things here is the ride that we used to use on the longest Sunday of the year. First ride 40+ miles to Kettlewell. Then go on the ride (lunch at the Temperance Hotel, Askrigg), finishing at Kettlewell again. Then ride 40+ miles home.

www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6296814

I am looking at buying a bike. Is there some sort of conspiracy going on with regard to publishing bike weights?
I just want to know how heavy the Cannondale Hydrids are. Can't find it anywhere.

gethinceri Models I was looking at below. Carbon is out of my price range.
I can't find weights anywhere. Where did you find the Carbon quick weight?

Cannondale quick CX2
Cannondale quick CX3
Cannondale quick SL3
Cannondale badboy9
Cannondale badboy6

That was on roadcc website Greenlantern101 but the others aren't.
Manufacturers often don't advertise weight openly because lots of riders see this as a key choice motivator (it may be one, but it's probably not in the top 3 in my opinion). You have three options:
1. Scour the reviews until you find one that mentions weight (time-consuming)
2. Ask in a forum, I use bikeradar - although it's populated by plenty of bellends you're likely to get some feedback in time
3. Go to a shop and pick them up (maybe take some scales)

Last edited:
As gethinceri has said, weight, whilst important is not the be all and end all, although the quality of the wheels is very important, as the wheels act like a flywheel, and the heavier they are the harder it is to get the bike going. Also, wheels seem to be an area of the bike that the manufacturers skimp on to bring the bike in to a budget, which is a shame.

The good thing I that these days a good quality aluminium frame is reasonably priced, I have currently a giant defy 4 from about 4 years ago, and it is really good, giant do some really good hybrids too, which may be worth a lo. The other thing about giant is that they get wheels made by dt Swiss, so they are usually quite good for the price. Cannondale are a good brand, however, I think you also pay for the name a bit.

Good luck, I am looking at the moment, and the choice in the market place is simply staggering, and this has caused me much consternation, I think I have a short list for now though, and will be trying two of them later today, which I am really looking forward to, provided it doesn't piss down with rain!

From what I have read weight is important if your route is hilly. Which mine is. My current 15 year old steel full suspension mountain bike weighs 20.5kg and is similar to trying to push a tank up a hill.

Eventually found a weight for the Cannondale Badboy 1, but its the American version with the lefty fork. That weighs 11.7kg so The uk version with regular fork will be a little heavier I guess.
The trek 7.4 FX Disk is a similar idea and price 11.7kg
Boardman Hybrid Team bike is 10.1kg almost 2 kg lighter than the Cannondale.

Any thoughts on Boardman bikes. The one review I saw in a bike magazine was good.

Boardman bikes are rapidly getting themselves a really strong reputation for good quality bikes at a really good price, well worth a look. If the elite series was more readily available I would be looking at them myself.

On the subject of weight, I do not disagree that a lighter bike is easier to get up a hill, that is simple physics, and if your route is hilly you will benefit from a lighter bike, however, struggling to shave a few hundred grams from the bike may not be worthwhile, depending on what you sacrifice to get there.

My biggest performance gain has been losing 3stone in weight, so sometimes gains can be made in other places, but then I was a bit of a fat bastard!

Greenlantern101 Boardman's are great, usually a good spec and solid features. Only downside really is that you have to deal with Halfords, but that's personal I guess.

With weight being your primary concern try and make sure you get a bike with a decent wheelset. Rotational mass is the best place to save weight, 100g saved on the wheelset is worth roughly 200g off the frame I believe.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I will go for a look at the Boardmans on Saturday. Now just to talk my boss into signing up with 'Cycle To Work'.

Back
Top Bottom