Bernie Ecclestone

Bernie Ecclestone attempted to qualify for a single World Championship event. He was in a Connaught-Alta, one of a fleet of three entered by himself. He finished qualifying 265.2 seconds off the pace, and his two team-mates failed to qualify as well.

He is, however, the most important single person in Grand Prix history. He took charge of Motor Racing Developments in 1972, from Ron Tauranac. He was the team principal for Nelson Piquet's two drivers' titles, but he'd lost interest by the time Brabham missed the deadline to enter the 1988 World Championship.

Into the governance of the sport he went, and he modernised it, and quickly controlled Formula One. He is now the leader of a billion-dollar industry. He is a divisive figure, but he's not done badly for someone who was four minutes off the pace on a Saturday in Monaco.

Wasn't sure if should be in the Bernie or Toto thread but Mr E has been having a pop at Toto Wolff claiming he is killing F1 solely for the benefit of the Mercedes team.

Pointing his ire directly at Wolff, Ecclestone charged: "Toto can have a lovely inscription on his gravestone that says 'I helped to kill formula one'.

"He did not do it alone, but he helped."

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns30456.html

Oh dear, seems like Toto hasn't fallen at Mr Ecclestone's feet and craved his indulgence as Christian Horner and Jean Todt did in years gone by. Does Toto not realise that the most dominant team in F1 of any given period has to fall in right behind Bernie.

I heard about that during NBC's broadcast. I was flabberghasted. F1 without Monza? :blink: The commentators were equally stunned, and commented on how we hadn't had a French GP for years, and that moving to all these new venues makes no sense - F1's primary market is and likely always will be in Europe, so to strike so many European circuits off is pure folly, it serves only to alienate F1's base, their strongest fans, the ones who spend crazy money on merchandise and tickets year after year. The NBC team even went so far as to lump the US into this bizarre expansion into markets that don't want or need F1. I'm not sure I'd agree with them there, F1 was in the US before, and it seems like a viable market to me - Americans view the car as practically a god-given right, and have a competitive spirit - based on my observations, auto racing of all stripes fits well with the American psyche.

I presume Bernie is currently in negotiations with the people who own Monza for an extension to the deal. Given Bernie's love for Ferrari I suspect he threatens to get rid of the Italian GP at his peril. He might wake up with a horses head in bed with him...

Bernie exists for "the deal" - as European circuits increasingly balk at his terms, he just moves on to the next desperate province waving their petro-dollars at him, and cuts a new deal, often at ludicrously inflated prices. He then decides that if he can command silly money for F1 from the likes of Sochi and Azerbaijan, then that is what the other circuits who have failed to negotiate a longer-term fixed-scale payment schedule (or those whose deals are about to expire) have to cough up. Therefore we get to watch F1 gradually disappear off into soulless Tilkedromes in the middle of deserts, or undeveloped swamp-land in the Far East. Bernie doesn't really care, as it's just deal-making. The only reason he's kicking off about engines and team costs is that he's suddenly realised that the current state of F1 is weakening his hand when it comes to making all these new deals.

Oh, and I don't think he makes a penny for his own pocket from all this deal-making- it all goes to feed the ravening beast that is CVC..

Has anyone seen Bernie this year? I haven't been watching the pre and post race coverage much but it occurred to me I haven't actually seen him so far.

Back
Top Bottom