BBC to axe F1 from 2013? Confirmed - F1 will be on Sky from 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the fans forum the question was asked would people pay to see F1 and 2/3rds (including me) said yes.

I think if they'd said:
"Would you be prepared to pay £40 a month on top of your TV license to watch F1?" they might have got a very different answer. Because that's the minimum somebody who doesn't already have Sky is going to have to pay to see every F1 race. And if you want HD, that's another tenner on top, taking us to £50 a month.

At the fans forum the question was asked would people pay to see F1 and 2/3rds (including me) said yes. But I already have Sky so it's a matter of upgrading, taking out a completely new deal is a different thing altogether. It's not on. Not on at all.
The trouble is (as mentioned by others, not just me) we do pay. When this change takes place I will continue to pay my UK TV license fee but lose a massive proportion of currently watch on BBC. I can safely say that in viewing hours F1 is by far the biggest content of my viewing so I will be getting a smaller return for my money. However, that's not the main issue.

This is the thin end of the wedge. As I said earlier, I haven't seen a premier boxing match live for at least a couple of years and very rarely before that since Sky monopolised coverage a decade or so ago. It's just another example of us ordinary Jo and Jane Bloggs having to pay and/or lose out because of the cock ups by the Bankers and Financiers - who incidentally are still doing very well indeed, for themselves.

Sadly, with a nipper on the way, there is no way on this green earth we could consider being able to afford skys ransom for live sport. As has been posted by several, F1 from 2012 will now become a catch it when I can type of thing.

I love the sport to bits but I'm not prepared to shell out and shell out again to watch it.

Despite saying it wasn't his decision to show some of the races live on Sky, Dear old Bernie must take some of the blame for the kings ransom he charges to show races live. Surely alarm bells must be ringing if the two main TV companies in this country couldn't afford to make F1 work. It always seemed like he was pricing all but pay-per-view out of the market and now this has been confirmed.

I don't know weather to be angry or sad or both. Suffice to say I'm right royally :censored:

The sport itself is bigger than just the British market so I'm not sure how much of a difference it will make unless more countries switch to a PPV deal.

Ah well, guess we'll just have to enjoy it while it lasts.

I am outraged and in the words of Murray Walker, 'I could use an old Anglo-Saxon Expression and from the faces of the mechanics they will be ab-so-loutly FURIOUS!'
Why Bernie WHY? I currently have sky but I had it to watch the end of the football season and its going soon at the start of August. I guess I'll be watching half the races, WITHOUT expert commentator Martin Brundle.
I also hope that the sky coverage is better than they're Indy car coverage, That was a bunch of bullshit 3 people in a studio in England talking about some crap then they cut to the race it's terrible.

Apparently it works out to about £43 per race for the 11 races Sky will be showing.

It depends how you calculate it:

Scary looking figure: I think the £43 must be the figure if you say the only thing you'll be watching on Sky is F1 and the only times you'll be watching it on Sky is when it's not on the BBC. Then it is around £40 a month = £480 a year ~ £48 a race for watching 10 races out of a 20 race season. This is not for HD either which costs another £10 a month, so £120 a year or £12 a race, which gives around £60 a HD race!!!

Not so scary: £20 a month for Sky Sports on top of your normal subscription = £240 a year, or £12 a race if you watch all of a 20 race season on Sky.

Less scary again: What if you watch 20 other sporting things a year as well, football matches or whatever. Then you're down to £6 per sporting event (40 events total watched). Finally this sounds fairly reasonable, maybe...

Make of this what you will! If you don''t have Sky at the minute and you want to be able to watch all the races in HD then you're looking at £60 a race to watch the ones that you won't be able to see on the BBC!! If you already have Sky but not Sky sports and will watch things other than F1 on Sky sports regularly as well then you can get down to more lik £6 per event you watch.

I must admit I started writing this with the intention of proving you wrong because that sounded like a ridiculous amount, but I've ended up proving you right :o

because of the cock ups by the Bankers and Financiers - who incidentally are still doing very well indeed, for themselves.

Not all, I was at a bank for 9 years, lost my job and am currently working for £182 a month in a third world country where it cost me £25 to stream it last weekend.

If I didn't have Sky at home (better got a well paid job before next season) then I'd be raging about this, I'm not happy at the increased costs as I don't have Sports but to start from scratch isn't on. Don't despair too much though, just need to lobby the local pub with a dish, or I'm sure you all know somebody with Sports, you can get them into F1! I think I'm going to have my dad up every other weekend now (which sucks as he's a huge Jenson fan!).

Couldn't help laugh at Williams chairman Adam Parr's comments from the Autosport link posted a few posts back:

Williams chairman Adam Parr said the key was understanding the finer details of the arrangement - because what teams lose in widespread television viewing figures could be gained in an increased revenue from Sky.

In other words, doesn't matter if no-one watches us on Sky, as long as we get more money. Yeah, nice one Adam. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you, your team will have gone under long before the Sky deal ends anyway.

"What I do know is that Bernie is a very passionate believer in getting the broadest audience possible and I think he has almost certainly done this in order to do that."

Surely this guy can't be serious?. Bernie is a very passionate believer in making as much money as possible and screw everyone else. Bernie has made a career of sitting on the fence until the person who can make him the most money gives their opinion, then he follows them.
Hopefully the other teams can see through this a little bit better than Mr Parr and at least try to fight it, although i'm not optimistic.

Clearly Bernie has gone and done a deal without carrying out a full consultation. Sky/Beeb would've encouraged him to ensure that no one throws a late spanner in their works. Ultimately it's the ordinary fan who is going to lose out. I'm certain this will result in increased revenue for teams and the incentives for fighting to keep it completely on free to air are minimal to non-existent.

I don't know weather to be angry or sad or both. Suffice to say I'm right royally :censored:

Can't really add much more about it that this ^^^^^^^^^^^

It's idiotic.I won't be shelling out for Sky, but luckily I'm getting 100Mb internet soon and whilst CTA in no way condones any form of torrents/streaming I know where I'll be watching 50% of the races.

The broadest audience possible is F1 being broadcast free to air.

Parr's comments are at best disingenuous, or as some would say, total ********.

All hinges in whether Parr thinks he'll get more money from Bernie (unlikely) than he could well lose from sponsorship.

So now we see the thin end of the wedge - how many of the 6 years will the BBC honour, before allowing SKY to have sole rights to broadcast all the races live? It'll be back to the old "Grand Prix" highlights show at midnight on Sundays on BBC2 within 2 years, I confidently predict.

And as for that fatuous lot of nonsense from Adam Parr - he can go forth and multiply >:( don't micturate up my back and tell me it's raining...

Not all, I was at a bank for 9 years, lost my job and am currently working for £182 a month in a third world country where it cost me £25 to stream it last weekend.

If I didn't have Sky at home (better got a well paid job before next season) then I'd be raging about this, I'm not happy at the increased costs as I don't have Sports but to start from scratch isn't on. Don't despair too much though, just need to lobby the local pub with a dish, or I'm sure you all know somebody with Sports, you can get them into F1! I think I'm going to have my dad up every other weekend now (which sucks as he's a huge Jenson fan!).

You were a member of staff working for a bank. I used the term bankers and financiers in the traditional sense referring to the top of the hierarchy - the owners and directors - whose policies and procedures dictated how you and you fellow staff had to carry out the business.

In no way did I intend to suggest that employees of the financial institutions were doing very well since I am acutely aware of how the banks use and discard their staff at the merest flip of a financial bubble. I doubt the staff of Northern Rock had much to do with the sub-prime market crap that cost them their jobs and initiating the melt down we're still going through.

... and that begs another question. How come Auntie Beeb is in such a parlous state when our blessed Govt. still, apparently, hasn't done anything about getting the Banks bail-out money back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom