Bahrain GP Debate

I completely agree however Kewee is suggesting they are a seperate issues and I don't think they can be viewed like that.

One thing I'vebeen finding incredibly short-sighted from the likes of Eddie Jordan and the rest of them this week, is the way they kept repeating like a mantra they ultimately have to rely on the FIA's findings on matters of security and whether they should or shouldn't race in Bahrain. Talking about the FIA as though they were the ultimate authority on the matter...
It's a sporting federation dammit, it ain't the bloody U.N is it!!

F1 teams were not publically saying they didnt want to got to Bahrain though several had privately expressed concerns to Jean Todt and the FIA. Whitmarsh played it down likening it to crime in Brazil and road conditions in India. Mark Webber was concerned that though security was stepped up not eveyone was getting it...and that was before the Force India thing.

It's all right guys, the protesters are not targeting you. If you do get hurt it will only be collateral damage.

From http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17767985 :

Bahrain circuit chairman Zayed R Alzayani said: "They weren't targeted. They just happened to be there.
"I think it's unfortunate. It's an issue of timing. It could happen in any place in the world really, getting caught up in a riot or a fight or anything."....

Alzayani said there would "probably" be more violence, adding: "I can't comment on the degree of violence, whether it will be more or not - I don't have that kind of information.
"I don't think they will be within the track or close to the track, and I think they will be handled in the right way."....

A statement from the circuit said the Force India group had driven through "an isolated incident involving a handful of illegal protestors acting violently towards police."
It added: "During this incident a Molotov cocktail landed in the vicinity of their vehicle.

Of course the protesters are acting illegally, there's no legal protests allowed.

And from Sporting Life:

It is understood one of them has a key role as he works on radio transmissions, without which the team will struggle to function.

So whatever happens from now on at least one of the teams will suffer because of the situation.

F1 teams were not publically saying they didnt want to got to Bahrain though several had privately expressed concerns to Jean Todt and the FIA. Whitmarsh played it down likening it to crime in Brazil and road conditions in India. Mark Webber was concerned that though security was stepped up not eveyone was getting it...and that was before the Force India thing.

The F1 teams weren't publicaly saying they didn't want to go because as discussed I bet the majority have some funded from that part of the world and they don't want to risk losing it.

If there is trouble this weekend personally I'm looking towards the drivers to be the one's to take action as that really would send a message. I can't see it happening though. I think the F1 community will be locked inside the enclosure and ushered in and out as quickly as possible and then will try to pretend it didn't happen. The rest of the world seems to have taken that attitude so why should they be different.

Its all about Oil

Dear God Rasputin........I'm not taking issue with you nor am I belittling your point, in fact I think you've got a very good point, I just believe the tragic events unfolding in Bahrain at present are all this thread should concentrate on and I don't intend to contribute to it being dragged of topic and onto other side issues. If your looking for someone to argue with, look elsewhere.

I struggle to believe some of the things I'm reading on this thread. There are hundreds detained in Bahrain, children are losing their parents, and yes, I know I keep mentioning the young girl whose father was killed while he was imprisoned, but I keep reminding everyone of her because we should all share in her loss. Yet still people say the GP should go ahead, then one molotov cocktail lands near the members of an F1 team and suddenly those same people are saying maybe it shouldn't be happening. What are you thinking! You sure create the impression that the lives of members of the F1 community are more important than the lives of the Bahrainian people. Everyone needs to remember that after three days of competition F1 will leave Bahrain, while the Bahranian people will have to continue to live their nightmare. I watched an interview last night with the daughter of the Bahrainian man on a hunger strike. Her father is now very close to death. She was eloquent, she was beautiful, and her heart was breaking. It was so very very sad and upsetting listening to her. But still the GP must go on. Am I mad! I'm as made as hell. I'm mad with FOM, I'm mad with the FIA and I'm mad with some of the views I read on here. How can I not be. There are many people all over the world who have formed the opinion that F1 is a selfish, uncaring self-indulgent activity where money is far more important than peoples lives, and that is something all F1 fans should be concerned about. I'm just going to continue praying for the people of Bahrain and all the others that are oppressed in various parts of the world. :(

Meh.
Am I the only one who's bored with the whole thing?

There are far worse regimes than Bahrain and nothing is ever said about those; in China, they routinely execute people for trivial crimes and send the bill for the bullet and man hours to the spouse.

Bring on the racing I say!

:)

No I don't get bored talking about peoples lives. Sadly F1 is about money, and dare I say it greed, which is one of the factors contributing to this tragedy. I say bring on the racing too, in Spain, when some sort of normality will return, though I'll still be following the situation in Bahrain as I do in other parts of the world, and trying to do something to help in my own little way if I'm able.

Bahrain circuit chairman Zayed R Alzayani applies for post of Iraqi Information Minister….

Last video I saw was him wearing a ‘uniF1ed’ cap whilst explaining the security situation – idiotic but mildly amusing!

Welcome F1.Everything is normal and we have nothing to hide.
http://blogs.aljazeera.com/liveblog/Bahrain
While international sports correspondents are in Bahrain for the race, non-sports reporters from the Reuters news agency and some other news organisations have not been granted visas to visit the Gulf island.

According to reports, journalists from the Associated Press news agency, the AFP news agency, and Sky News have also been prevented from entering the country.
An AFP photographer, accredited by the sport's governing body, the FIA (Federation Internationale de l'Automobile), was informed by Bahrain's information affairs authority that there has been a "delay to your visa application, so it might not be processed".
Associated Press said two of its Dubai-based journalists were prevented from covering the Grant Prix because they could not receive entry visas, despite being accredited by the FIA.
Meanwhile, according to the AFP, cameramen already in Bahrain were required to keep fluorescent orange stickers on their cameras so that they would be easily recognisable to ensure they do not cover any off-track events, such as ongoing protests.
Simeon Kerr, from the Financial Times, tweeted last night that he was denied access to Bahrain to cover the Formula One:

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of the government and police, petrol bombs are not peaceful protests... This is a Civil War between the Sunnis that form the government and the Iranian-backed Shia population.

Look, if you were a democracy campaigner in Bahrain, what is your best case scenario? a) the whole world watching and talking about the situation in your country or b) the race is quietly cancelled like last year. Which is going to lead to change fastest?

jez101.......Except the world can't see a thing. The International Press have been banned from covering anything other than the events happening on track. Maybe someone can interview some of the more senior members of the Shia opposition. Oh no hang on, most of them are in prison and have been since this time last year for daring to have an opinion and dream of freedom.

Freedom or a Muslim totalitarian state Kewee? Go and take a look at who the "freedom" protesters are. I'm not defending the way the Bahraini government is conducting itself but these people calling for democracy have their own agenda - as Jez points out.

Freedom or a Muslim totalitarian state Kewee? Go and take a look at who the "freedom" protesters are. I'm not defending the way the Bahraini government is conducting itself but these people calling for democracy have their own agenda - as Jez points out.
Believe me I'm fully aware of who the "freedom" protestors are, I'm also aware that the ruling Monarchy are also Muslim. The Shia just happen to be the majority and would like a little more say in their lives. We expect that in a democracy why shouldn't they. Seems like a perfectly normal "agenda" to me, and I would assume to other fair minded people. The majority in any country should have a reasonable say in their own destiny. Their choice may not be our choice but they should have the right to make it regardless of whether we feel it's best or not.

This will be my last post on the topic as we are not going to agree. Those funding and organising the Sunni side have no desire for democracy. Their ambition is to turn Bahrain into a fundamentalist Mulsim state run along similar lines to Iran (who are behind the protesters). If you are able to convince me that Iran is a model for an independent, democratic Middle Eastern state then I will fly out to Bahrain and stand in the street with these guys and throw rocks at the police. But you can't and you won't.

Iran is an appalling regime which stifles political protest, limits the rights of women and locks up anyone who dares to disagree with the ruling party. Ahmadinejad is a moderate in Iran - how scary is that? If you really want Bahrain to go down this road please, feel free to keep the protesters in your prayers but don't imagine for one minute that the lives of the people of Bahrain will be in any way improved if the Sunni's take control from the Shia's.

A bit like the last contact we had. As soon as there is a disagreement you close the discussion down. Considering this also is your last post on the topic I won't trouble you with a response.

Back
Top Bottom