Ask The Apex

Silly question, maybe, but do F1 cars have handbrakes or an equivalent mechanism?

What stops a car, that has pulled over onto the side of the track due to damage, from rolling back on - especially if the track slopes?

I'm not sure about this Splash but I believe the cars are just left in gear to stop them free rolling and that there's some sort of button/lever to disengage the clutch that the marshals can use if/when they need to move the car.

Also, at the Nurburgring last year Bianchi's car did in fact roll backwards on to the track after his car caught fire:

I believe there is a reg that states that the driver has to leave the car in neutral if possible if it stops on track but there is a button in front of the cockpit that disengages the clutch if it is not left in neutral and they do not have a handbrake also the driver has to put the steering wheel back on after getting out of the car unless it is on fire of course then the driver just gets the hell out of there..

Last edited:
They do not have handbrakes. I don't think that there is a lot to stop them from rolling about, unless they are left in gear, plus there is nothing in the regulations to mandate anything, therefore nothing is built, as it does not make the car go faster. It would be a simple thing to do though.

Actually it just makes me wonder, how can the driver put the car into neutral when the retirement is caused by hydraulics, since the gearbox itself is governed by hydraulics?

This is what the regs say.

30.5 A driver who abandons a car must leave it in neutral or with the clutch disengaged, with the KERS shut down and with the steering wheel in place.

The FIA doesn't seem have addressed the problem of a car rolling back onto the track.

Last edited:
There's also this regulation Mephistopheles :
9.4Clutch disengagement :
All cars must be fitted with a means of disengaging the clutch for a minimum of fifteen minutes in the event of the car coming to rest with the engine stopped. This system must be in working order throughout the Event even if the main hydraulic, pneumatic or electrical systems on the car have failed. This system must also disconnect any ERS system fitted to the car.
In order that the driver or a marshal may activate the system in less than five seconds, the switch or button which operates it must :
a) Face upwards and be recessed into the top of the survival cell no more than 150mm from the car centre line.
b) Be designed in order that a marshal is unable to accidentally re-engage the clutch.
c) Be less than 150mm from the front of the cockpit opening.
d) Be marked with a letter "N" in red at least 40mm tall, with a line thickness of at least 4mm, inside a white circle of at least 50mm diameter with a red edge with a line thickness of at least 2mm.

I'd taken it to mean that the car is left in gear until someone comes to move it but apparently not.

So this isn't really a question but more of an idea, but I don't know where to put it and don't think it deserves its own thread. So if anybody wants to move it make suggestions I won't be offended.

Anyways, what if at the end of the season we had a sort of one-off, non points race with decent amounts of cash on the line for sure, and let F1 drivers race each other in equal cars, like maybe GP2 cars. The location could change every year and it could be a chance to explore new venues as well as let the F1 drivers show who's really quicker in equal machinery.

Back
Top Bottom