Alexander Rossi

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by Fenderman, Jun 8, 2013.

1. RasputinLives

RasputinLives Not dead Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Years in single seater racing

Rossi - 9
    Chilton - 5

My point was cider_and_toast that Max gets a lot of criticism for being a pay driver but Rossi's record is not too different to his. This is a like for like swap really not a talent takes out money moment some people are suggesting.

The record in WSR you listed is indeed impressive but all those wins and podiums came in the same year back in 2011. I was a big fan of Rossi because of that but his season after was mediocre at best. His switch to GP2 showed promise but then dropped away again.

I suspect his F1 career might go the same way with a flourish of brilliance at the start before fading. I hope he proves me wrong.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fair point mate, and you know a lot more about Rossi's route to F1 than I but I'm just making the point that you have to be careful comparing like for like stats in race series. I've no idea how good the cars that each driver was using were or who had the better / bigger team etc.

It's easy for anyone to go on to Wikipedia and just look at results. It's what each driver made of the opportunity when it presented itself.

4. KekeTheKing

KekeTheKing Banned Supporter

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    It's all irrelevant now anyway. Another chance goes by the wayside.

Chilly's deep pockets come to the rescue again.

5. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    A shame for Rossi when he was all set to be in. He obviously has a bit of funding though if not as much as Chilton so maybe Marussia will put him in for Texas.

cider_and_toast. I take your point on going to wikipedia and just pasting results but I was just trying to show how perception can twist peoples thinking on drivers. Chilton has a lot of money behind him and probably shouldn't be in F1 but his record is certainly comparable to other drivers also bidding to get into F1 with less obvious funding.

I'd be pleased to see Rossi get a drive but I'd be far more pleased to see someone like Frinjs get in.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
    cider_and_toast likes this.
  6. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2014/10/16464.html

Rossi will get his shot in F1 this weekend. I'm pretty sure everyone including him feel can't get too excited about it.

Wish it had happened in far better circumstances.

Hamberg likes this.
  7. Brogan

Brogan Leg end Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    Possibly not...

teabagyokel likes this.
  8. teabagyokel

teabagyokel #dejavu Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    I'm starting to feel for Rossi, the USGP is his third cancelled debut of the season. Just looks like it'll never happen.

Johnny Carwash and Westy like this.
  9. siffert_fan

siffert_fan Too old to watch the Asian races live. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    If he isn't chosen by Haas F1 (assuming they make it to the grid), then he's done in F1, IMO.

10. KekeTheKing

KekeTheKing Banned Supporter

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    Looking through the 2011 YDT picture pack I came across this one. Pretty much sums up Rossi's Lotus/Caterham tenure in a nutshell.

lotu_ross_abud_2011.jpg

11. Bushi

Bushi Pole Sitter

If he wasn't an American there wouldn't be any talk of him being in f1 at all.

Josh likes this.
  12. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    Haas had just gone on record as saying that there are just no American drivers good enough to drive in F1 at moment.

I think I can actually hear Alexander Rossi's hopes and dreams cracking in two.

13. soccerman17

soccerman17 Race Winner

I'm not sure why he felt the need to say that. All it accomplished was crushing Rossi.

14. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    I guess Haas were felt obliged to make an announcement soon given there are few seats left but saying no US driver just crushes the hopes of the US market who want to see a US driver and potential sponsors as well

I would have thought maybe give him 3rd driver role

15. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    im Quite surprised at this, Guenther Steiner ruling out Haas having an American driver in 2016 saying."There is nobody out there at the moment. Yes, there are drivers in GP2 & F3, but having a rookie in a new team is difficult for both sides," because there are some good American drivers in indycar like Marco andretti, ryan hunter reay, Graham rahal or even youngster josep newgarden you wouldve thought help them get sponsorship with home driver.

Also yes I can understand the rookie tag but then everyone got to start at some place red bull couldve put verstappen in gp2 sighting his inexperience but he impressed

16. teabagyokel

teabagyokel #dejavu Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    I think the opinion of Haas on American drivers is rather different to the opinion of Red Bull on Verstappen. There's certainly no "once in a generation talents" amongst the American crop at the moment. Red Bull believe that Verstappen will be mentioned in the same breath as Fangio, Senna and Schumacher within twenty years.

17. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    They also thought that about Alguersauri though.

I have to say Rossi has flashes of talent but is not consistent enough for me so I see where Haas are coming from.

18. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    I don't know if it is a just a tactic to say " Yes we are an American team but we will not be swayed to pick an American driver" seems like they still had to bend over backwards to field a Ferrari driver

It shows who holds more clout with that team at the moment - the engine partners over the sponsors

F1Brits_90 likes this.
  19. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    I think Haas running a Ferrari reserve driver is more about them keeping in with Ferrari and mooching their data rather than Ferrari demanding they run them.

20. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    Well it was the same situation when Force India came into F1 and there was expectancy that they would run an Indian driver but VJ was adamant neither were good enough.

21. soccerman17

soccerman17 Race Winner

Or maybe they believe that if they run a German (just an example, I don't think they're even considering any Germans) driver they could get sponsors from both America and Germany.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice