Grand Prix 2024 Australian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Just realised we dont have the thread up to discuss max verstappen 10th win in a row & red bull's 34th win from the last 36 races

how people view Australia is a great indication of how long they watched F1, because those in early 30's know this as the season opener the beginning of that seasons journey, but there will be many people who like me with Japan this year, it feels weird to have it so early in the season as they know this as the season finale, the scene of some great title deciders obviously Mansell 1986 comes to mind & 1 of the most famous title deciders of all time Hill v Schumacher. as Damon has shown below he finally revisited the scene of the "crime" 30 years later
1711020828557.png
temp 4.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4nUuPnv2py/?igsh=a2dyejc3YjhrZDJr

Austraila has a rich motor racing history as the grand prix is 1 of the oldest surviving motorsport competitions held in Australia, which if ive done my maths right is 96 years old, & sunday will be 84th running, but has only been apart of F1 since 1985 but that did stop well known F1 drivers taking part with the likes of Moss won in 1956, Bruce Mclaren 1962 & 1965, Jack Brabham 1955 1963 & 1964 & Alain Prost in 1982.

Australia does hold quite a few F1 records because 5 countries have held consecutive races, but the other 4 had different names. only 1 had the same name consecutively that was Australian GP with the season finale in 1995 & season opener in 1996, 1995 is a another record for the largest margin of victory when Damon Hill won by 2 laps. 1991 is the shortest race in F1 history (with racing laps) with only 14 classified laps

on to this weekend, because of clocks & time of the year Australian GP at 4am is the earliest start time in UK since 2007 Australian gp when Lewis hamilton burst onto the world stage at 3am, anyone who is watching this live in uk, i take my hat off to you, your a far better fan than me, but hopefully we will have some excitement. as in hindsight it was 1 of the most dramatic / entertaining races of last season. so hopefully we get more of the same. & i posted in Sky F1 thread, it will be different this weekend because of alot of this weekend action will be broadcasted from their base in London. This will be the case for the race weekends in Australia, Japan, and China with potenially only ted kravitz, David croft & martin Brundle over in Australia

if you want to know the UK times for this weekends action
temp 2.png

Last edited:
Is that a hint of sarcasm? Buyers regret ??
It means, to regret buying something after the purchase because you either paid over the odds or it won't solve the problem you thought it would but it's too late now as you're stuck with it.

If I were the teams that had signed Danny Ric and Lewis Hamilton, I'd be thinking "oh bugger" right now.

I remember staying up to watch the 1986 race live. I also remember staying up until heaven knows what time waiting for the highlight package to be broadcast on the US and Canadian races in the early 80's. The BBC really use to spoil us with up to a 30 minute programme, which included the music, intro and outro from Muddly, and 15 or 20 minutes of seeing the cars. As has been mentioned already, finding 15 or 20 minutes from races over the last couple of seasons that is worth watching would be quite tough.

It means, to regret buying something after the purchase because you either paid over the odds or it won't solve the problem you thought it would but it's too late now as you're stuck with it.

If I were the teams that had signed Danny Ric and Lewis Hamilton, I'd be thinking "oh bugger" right now.
Not really Red Bull have screwed themselves to kiss Verstappen's a$$ so all their other drivers get burned and not a proper chance. This was Helmut's call so he should take the bullet for it unless they will say Horner made the blunder so he should go

Mercedes/Ferrari/Hamilton

Hamilton he is happy that Ferrari look good

Ferrari will basically stake Vasseur's job but they ve wasted money on Alonso and Vettel and still got no title

Mercedes are stuffed because dropping Hamilton will trigger Ferrari getting him early

Riccardio certainly as im worried for himself he was the 1 that was supposed to be star of the team, not tsunoda & i worry he could be joining de vries

but im not worried about hamilton but for a unlucky disqualification in austin. he couldve finished 2nd in the championship & beat perez despite for majority the 4th best car. at the moment his onboard footage in qualifying i thought had similarities with food poisoning, both have dodgy rear end & both make you lack the confidence as your not sure if you can push

Not really Red Bull have screwed themselves to kiss Verstappen's a$$ so all their other drivers get burned and not a proper chance. This was Helmut's call so he should take the bullet for it unless they will say Horner made the blunder so he should go

Mercedes/Ferrari/Hamilton

Hamilton he is happy that Ferrari look good

Ferrari will basically stake Vasseur's job but they ve wasted money on Alonso and Vettel and still got no title

Mercedes are stuffed because dropping Hamilton will trigger Ferrari getting him early
You're missing the point. I'm not talking about Hamilton getting dropped this season or Red Bull. I'm talking about Ricciardo being brought in last season and very much struggling to do the job after De Vries was dropped and Hamlton much further away from his teammate this season and going to Ferrari next year having to beat Sainz's performances.

Would you sign Hamilton to Ferrari if you looked at how he's gone this year? He was out performed by an 18 year old on his debut. It's not a good look for the team.

You're missing the point. I'm not talking about Hamilton getting dropped this season or Red Bull. I'm talking about Ricciardo being brought in last season and very much struggling to do the job after De Vries was dropped and Hamlton much further away from his teammate this season and going to Ferrari next year having to beat Sainz's performances.

Would you sign Hamilton to Ferrari if you looked at how he's gone this year? He was out performed by an 18 year old on his debut. It's not a good look for the team.

Ricciardo back at RB after dropping De Vries is long term tied to Red Bull need a top No 2 after burning every driver to protect Verstappen ultimately. It was Horner's decision to drop De Vries and supposedly go back to Ricciardo going as far as criticising Mclaren. So ultimately Horner could take the bullet for this. Like I said Red Bull caused this problem and someone will take the can for this

Ferrari - depends who championed thd drive for Hamilton. Was it Elkann or Vasseur? I ve noticed Hamilton tone is not as a vocally angry nowat Mercedes. Whilst Bearman was impressive at Saudi, Mercedes did put Hamilton on the backfoot for the 2nd time in 3 years with a bad strategy. Melbourne was the first real sign he is not mentally focused 100%. I wonder if his contract is a 1 +1 again

unbelievable from Carlos sainz, appendix surgery 2 weeks ago & recovering in bed. doubtful he'd even be fit to Race & yet he comes & wins the race

in a way i feel for verstappen, seeing the retirement cheered but thats domination for you. people did the same for McLaren in 88, schumacher, vettel & Mercedes. but he's still not been beaten

am i going overboard to say there shouldve been a red flag with the russell incident. because stroll was only few seconds behind & he's not going to expect a blocked track espically with such a quick entry speed. they got very lucky

My initial reaction was that the penalty was harsh. But Fernando clearly incriminated himself with what he said when combined with the telemetry. So I think the penalty makes sense.

So Alonso brake tested Russell . DC must be wondering how Alonso git away at 2003 Nurburgring?

Well the Dutch are quiet for a few weeks

Mercedes are in serious problems ...they better sort out before Suzuka

whats the opinion on what happened after. i think like in F3 there been some questionable stewarding calld this weekend

my gut ive said was red flag straight away. you cant take any chances with someone in the middle of a track not far from at 130mph apex. because VSC i don't think it conveyed the seriousness of that situation

Back
Top Bottom