Poll 2016 Monaco Grand Prix - Out of Ten

How did you rate the Monaco Grand Prix Out of Ten?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 2.1%

Votes: 4 8.5%

Votes: 19 40.4%

Votes: 12 25.5%

Votes: 8 17.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm a bit confuddled at the 'Hamilton's best win ever' claim going out after this one. Hamilton had a fantastic drive with some clever tactics and some real edge of legal balls out robust defence, however, he was not the best driver of the day. Daniel Ricciardo was class of the field in inferior machinery and but for Red Bull not having the tyres ready would have took the win easily.

I'm not taking anything away from Hamitlon's brilliant drive but I've seen races he's won where he has completely been head and shoulders above everyone and done everything perfectly. I'd probably class one of those as his best win ever.

I think this win is more timely than anything else.

I agree and I'm not convinced he would have won had it not been for Red Bull screwing up.

It was a very good drive from Hamilton, of that there is no doubt. They forced the mistake from Red Bull.

One of his best? Think that underrates Hamilton substantially.

Nobody on this forum has claimed it was his "best drive"

Top 10. Absolutely. The call (largely Hamilton's) to stay out on the full wet tire was how this race was won.

And I guess when you've got 44 victories it starts getting tough to rank them anyway!

I'm a bit confuddled.

Even though this is not an actual word, it's obvious you are often confounded, confused, and befuddled when it comes to Lewis Hamilton. So I know what you are trying to convey, I just don't buy it. Feigning not to know why some would place this race in the discussion of 'Hamilton's Best' seems like yet another feeble effort to discredit his supporters for some reason or another.

It's a word coined from confused and befuddled.

I'm a Hamilton supporter and I don't rate it top ten from Hamilton. It was strategically great and he managed the situation well however for it to be a greatest drive top ten he'd for me have to be the best driver on the day and I'd argue the top three in that race could be worthy of that title.

For some reason Rasputin put out a straw-man argument about this being Lewis' quote unquote 'best win ever'. Which nobody said it was.

Nobody on this forum has claimed it was his "best drive"

Damon Hill said it straight after the race on Sunday which is probably why Sky are running the pole. That was what I was referencing.

I'm not trying to 'discredit' anyone and I never stated anyone on here was wrong. Just adding to the debate. Believe or not I happen to think Hamilton is one of the best F1 drivers I've ever seen. I've always said that. Not really sure why you think me saying I think he's had better wins than this one is an attack. I'm sorry if my post confuddled, befuddled or plain befused you.

This aggression is getting somewhat tiresome.

I thought the link to the Sky poll made it obvious as the talk was of Hamilton's best win ever.

I was just making the point that I've seen better and that Danny Ric was my driver of the day.

Not sure where all this 'discredit' and that's not a real word stuff came from :dunno:

No. I said it wasn't his best win ever.

However I can probably list 10 better ones.

Last edited:
Daniel Ricciardo was class of the field in inferior machinery and

e.

--------------------------

I woud tend to agree wth the first part of that comment but certainly not the latter. Seemed to me the Red Bull was probably the car to have for this track and the conditions, and daniel himself said as much.

I don't see how this could be claimed to be one of Hamilton's top 10. He had to have Rosberg told to move over to let him overtake despite the problems Rosberg was having, then he needed to have a mistake by Red Bull to give him the track position he needed. A good, intelligent drive, yes, top 10, no.

To Hamiltons credit he was able to hold out for the win on the wrong badly worn tyres, that raises the ranking of his win surely. The inability to overtake at Monaco doesn't detract from his win considering he was fighting his own battles on the wrong rubber.

I think it's just the situation why some are lauding it as his best win, since he hasn't won in a while, it's Monaco/the race every driver supposedly wants to win and he hasn't won at Monaco in a while.
Superb drive from Hamilton completely dominating his teammate but I don't think it was one of his best. No-one considered Rosberg's win last year one of his best when Hamilton's misfortune helped him win.

I don't think you can compare Rosberg's win last year to Hamilton's this year. In both races Hamilton completely dominated Rosberg. Last year he was what 20? 30? Seconds ahead of a driver in the same car when the pitt blunder handed it to Rosberg. This year he wasn't handed the race when Rosberg let him by, he was given an opportunity to go and fight for the win, something Rosberg was unable to do. And he finished all but lapping Rosberg. So big difference for me between those Two races.

On why this Monaco race scored so highly on the Sky poll, I think the reasons are many.....

- it was a timely win ( as has been stated). Ended a long draught and hopefully a run of bad luck

- it was recent, in everyone's mind when they voted

- younger/newer fans may not have seen his earlier wins

- the nature of the win. We're used to Hamilton winning by defending, often from a faster or equal car. We're used to audacious overtakes. We're used to phenomenal speed. But we've been told, he isn't a thinker( Rosberg is the cerebral one apparently) he doesn't look after his tyres. He doesn't look after his brakes etc etc. Well in this race he did all that. He went longer( I think) than anyone has ever done on wet tyres. And he defended his lead from a faster car on slightly more durable tyres. He also was largely responsible for that aggressive strategy and he made it work. ( albeit aided by the Red Bull out sto blunder, possibly caused by Mercedes pain pacing them into that pitstop)
Ricciardo drove a brilliant race. Better than Hamilton? That's a hard call. He didn't make his tyres last as well.

Last edited:
I'm not saying Ricciardo wouldn't have won without the pit cock up, I think he would have won. I'm saying it's hard to call which was the best driver. Both did excellent but in different ways, different strategies, different tyres.

Back
Top Bottom