Poll 2016 Monaco Grand Prix - Out of Ten

How did you rate the Monaco Grand Prix Out of Ten?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 2.1%

Votes: 4 8.5%

Votes: 19 40.4%

Votes: 12 25.5%

Votes: 8 17.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There seems to be a confusion over fact and opinion. A fact is an indisputable, an opinion is subjective. That a person finds one opinion more acceptable then another does not turn it into a fact.
Let's look at some facts from Monaco 2016 that affected the races of Ricciardo and Hamilton.
- Hamilton had an issue with fuel pressure in q3 which compromised his qualifying
- Hamilton lost 14 secs to Ricciardo after the start bring stuck behind Rosberg
- Rosberg was unable to challenge Ricciardo and was asked to let Hamilton past
- Hamilton pulled immediately away from Rosberg and made inroads into Ricciardo
- On lap 23 Ricciardo pitted for inters, he emerged 9 secs behind Hamilton
- Ricciardo cut that gap to 6.6 in one and a half laps
- Hamilton in consultation with his pits decided to stay out on wets
- By lap 28 Ricciardo caught Hamilton but couldn't pass
- Hamilton stayed out on wets until lap 31 when he switched to ultrasofts
- Ricciardo, once released put in a fast time on his warmed inters
- Ricciardo was called into the pits in response to Hamilton's move a lap later
- On his in-lap Ricciardo was over two seconds quicker than Hamilton in the middle sector
- When Ricciardo arrived at his pit, his tyres were not ready and he was delayed
- He rejoined the track behind Hamilton
- The Mercedes cars were struggling to heat up the tyres ( a problem which affected Rosberg more than Hamilton) this left Hamilton vulnerable to Ricciardo after VSC restarts.
- Ricciardo challenged Hamilton on lap 37 following a VSC restart
- Hamilton, in tyres not up to temp, cut the chicane after the tunnel and lost momentum
- Ricciardo attempted a pass but on the wet lost his back end
- The incident was investigated , no further action taken
- Photographic evidence shows that Hamilton left a cars width
- RIcciardo got close and looked at passing opportunities but couldn't make them stick.
- Both cars marginal on tyres, and Hamilton on ultrasofts that hadn't been raced on before, it was unknown if either or neither, would hold out till the end of the race
- Ultimately Hamilton's tyres lasted better and he finished 7.2 seconds ahead.
- Ultrasofts are new tyres that haven't been raced on before

Those were some facts about the race. I'm sure there are more. How you interpret those facts...that is an opinion.
Some people are of the opinion that Ricciardo was the better driver.
Some people are of the opinion that Hamilton was the better driver.
Some people are of the opinion that both drivers were equally good .
The latter as it happens is my opinion. But whatever the opinion, it doesn't alter the facts.
Just wanted to clear that up.

Good grief!!

Hamberg My apologies for the clearly misinterpreted shock smiley I can assure you I have a firm grip, not sure on what mind you.

racecub thanks for the dissertation! (attempted playful japing smiley)

Maybe I need to work on my delivery?

The Pits, I think your delivery is fine and I'm sure you ' have a grip' on the difference between fact and opinion. It seems though that not everyone does. I liked your shocked smiley, and I have no issue at all with opinions that differ from mine.
Apologies if you thought I was having a go at you, absolutely wasn't the case. :)
Dissertation, lol. Did go on a bit didn't it.

Last edited:
Good grief!!

Hamberg My apologies for the clearly misinterpreted shock smiley I can assure you I have a firm grip, not sure on what mind you.

No, no we're on the same page @thepits i apologise for making you think otherwise and subsequently apologising which was not necessary.

7. Not a bad race for Monaco. A bit dissapointed that Hamilton and Ricciardo's tyres lasted that long, otherwise things could have been more exciting.

I can't decide if 'good grief' is a more likeable phrase than 'goodness gracious'. Very close, maybe a poll?

Ok ok I'll shut up. Only a 6 from me. Don't like wet races that much.

Just how was Hamilton's qualifying compromised? He did a flying lap at a time when the conditions were as good as any time; there is simply nothing to show that Hamilton would have done any better had he managed more laps.

Just how was Hamilton's qualifying compromised? He did a flying lap at a time when the conditions were as good as any time; there is simply nothing to show that Hamilton would have done any better had he managed more laps.
He had a fuel pump issue. Only got one shot and was out of synch with others and so compromised by traffic, had to drive round cars.

Last edited:
Surely Hamilton could have synchronised himself with the traffic, his car was in running condition, he could leave the garage when he wanted to. What was this traffic? The other drivers had put in their first lap, gone back to the garage where they had to go into the garage to get the fuel correct. It couldn't have been that he was going for his lap after the others had finished theirs as that would have meant starting it after the chequered flag had come out.

- Hamilton, in tyres not up to temp, cut the chicane after the tunnel and lost momentum
- Ricciardo attempted a pass but on the wet lost his back end
- The incident was investigated , no further action taken
- Photographic evidence shows that Hamilton left a cars width
Personally I think this is the wrong incident to investigate.
Lewis cutting the Nouvelle Chicane was the problem and he should have been penalized for not yielding the position to Dan. There is no way he could have prevented Dan from taking the position if he had slowed enough to make the apex of the corner he cut. This is exactly the same as Perez on Alonso at the same turn when the stewards made Alonso yield the position or take a penalty.

NJB13 ..... If Hamilton had slowed enough to make the chicane he would have stayed on the racing line which would have effectively and legally blocked any attempt by Ricciardo to make a pass. The only clean pass possible at the chicane, or any chicane, is to achieve an overlap as you approach the entry. Hamilton only disadvantaged himself which is probably why the stewards decided, 'no further action'.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom