Grand Prix 2016 Australian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Strewth, Bruce! The Australian Grand Prix is nearly here, ahead of a 2016 season build-up suffering from staggeringly low expectations and the people who are paid handsomely to promote Formula One seemingly trying to kill it with their media comments. So...

Well, the good thing with low expectations is that they can easily be bettered. Although Mercedes may be miles ahead of the field, it is quite possible that Ferrari have closed the gap and actual racing may occur there. The midfield looks rather tighter this year. We have a new team (Haas), Renault are returning and Manor are having a proper go of it!

Add to that a great big unknown with the tyre rules, and a selection of tyres made by each team that will probably look quite daft given that it was made before the new elimination system of qualifying was announced. So tyre strategy and qualification strategy are still rather unknown, which could add some insanity unpredictability.

Melbourne is often a race of high attrition, with the walls too close to the track for those unused to new cars, and unreliability also raising its ugly and seldom seen head. Daniil Kvyat, Valteri Bottas, Kevin Magnussen and Manor will be hoping to actually get to the start this year! Chances of attrition are hit by the exit-stage-left of Pastor Maldonado amid the complete collapse of the economy of Venezuela, but you never know :).

Despite the existance of Stoffel Vandoorne, the debutants are Mercedes' youth product Pascal Wehrlein, Indonesia's first ever F1 [pay-]driver Rio Haryanto and Jolyon "son-of-Jonathon" Palmer. It seems unlikely any will match Kevin Magnussen's 2nd-on-debut in 2014, however (which was, allegedly, the last time Ron Dennis smiled).

The last five Australian Grand Prix have been won by different drivers - Vettel, Button, Raikkonen, Rosberg and Hamilton. I'd be surprised if Raikkonen won it this year and mystified if Button did. Those same drivers (minus Rosberg) have monopolised pole position here since Giancarlo Fisichella stuck his Renault on pole in a rain-storm in 2005.

Sit back, and lets hope there's something to enjoy. There's life in the old dog yet, despite you, Bernie.

Last edited:
Personally, I've always felt that Grosjean was overrated.

Look at his record - he was humiliated when first paired up with Alonso. He then returned to Lotus, and was beaten by Raikonnen (who has been repeatedly shown to be not as good as he used to be/was thought to be whilst at Ferrari).

All of Grosjean's reputation is built on having won in GP2, and having not been humiliated against Raikonnen.

He did join Renault at the worst moment. Half way in the season in the first season when KERS was introduced and the handling under braking (if I remember correctly) was terrible. Just ask Luca Badoer when he joined Ferrari after Massa was hit out. :)

I will defend Grosjean because his first stint in F1 really was under very unhappy and troublesome circumstances no small part thanks to that fat tosser Flavio who was sticking a knife up Nelsinho's back whilst kissing his favourite son's backside

Grosjean first stint he walked into a fire

Grosjean's second stint he improved gradually and he's dealt quite well given the team have been screwed and penny pinched by those jerks called Genii Capital

Come race day Grosjean will outperform Gutierrez

Bit of a nothing day for the 1st day of "school", but then in my experience of the opening rounds of F1 that I remember since practice was 1st broadcast in 2009. It always gives you more questions than answers. Because you getting testing questions answers but twice as many more get going once the racing start

I'm here. Totally confused by qualifying, it all seems a bit of a cock up to my little brain. :popcorn: I need more popcorn.

What a horrendous system for qually. How to ruin a perfectly decent system.

The only plus was Lewis set the all time lap record, the fastest man to lap Melbourne in 1.23.837 breaking Schumachers 2004 record 1.24.125
Back to the speeds we had 12 years ago with 3ltr V10's

Last edited:
People are going to be so angry at the awful quali system that they are going to forget to be angry at the fact Merc are massively far in front still. Maybe that was the point.

To quote Brundle "it needs putting in the skip"

Well that was meant to be a pole shootout between the four fastest in Q3, trouble was Ferrari didn't want to play with their toys anymore. Qualifying wasn't broken in the first place so the FIA decided to smash it to pieces, oh dear. :facepalm:

I was annoyed to begin with but in the end that was just hilarious! I can't believe how bad it was, I was predicting that Q3 would be bad with less cars on track but I wasn't expecting the session to be over with 5 minutes still on the clock! F1 can shoot itself in the foot like nothing else!

Can you imagine how you'd feel if you'd spent a ton of cash for a ticket to go see that live? How gutted would you be?

On top of everything it mighht have implications for people attending Grand Prix week-ends. What will be the point of attending the full week-end when the race is the only thing you can make sense of?

Back
Top Bottom