2016-17 Silly Season. Drivers Market

Rutherford

I'm curious: How many times have YOU told your boss to go pound sand and then proceeded to do the opposite to what you were told to do? If the answer is other than zero (which I doubt), how long did you retain that job?
I mainly do translations, besides studying, so it is difficult to have such conflicts. I just get told to translate for the police, etc.. ;)

The best that compares is a conflict with my head master when I was 7. He accused me of doing something (can't remember what) and threatened to call my parents, I told him to go ahead and left the office telling him he probably hasn't got the guts to call them. LOL (He really didn't call them.)

It seems to me that saying someone "lacks a backbone" for not placing his career in jeopardy, when you yourself have never been in an equivalent position is rather harsh and presumptuous on your part.

What’s harsh is that they gave up when they made it to the top just to play second fiddle, instead of going do the ultimate achievement. Massa got lucky in ‘08, because he never had the talent anyway. Barrichello though, he showed it, pace, consistency and an understanding of setup work. Nowadays look at the wreck he is.
He constantly complains about the time at Ferrari whenever he gets the chance, maybe you’re right maybe I am too harsh, as he has given himself a very oppressive treatment.
As Il_leone said Barrichello should have probably moved to Williams. He would have got a crack at the WDC in 2003.

Barrichello had six seasons in title-winning cars across his career: five were up against Schumacher and one was against Button. If he was good enough to win a world title he would have.

Rutherford Barrichello did admit he feared the sack if he did not yield in Austria but then again he was the deluded one to think he was ever going to be allowed to race Schumacher on equal terms.. everyone was saying big mistake when he signed

Off course it does look good on your CV that your drove for Ferrari

RasputinLives I agree in the sense that Berger did have some really poor races against Alesi languishing outside the top 10 or his race pace was not as good but because his reputation and being a very good poker / political player he managed to stay in top teams longer than he should have been

Vettel confirmed at Ferrari (much to Il_leone 's disappointment I'm sure LOL) until 2020. Of course 2020 will be the year we'll all be able to have a better look at things (badum ching!).

Just Bottas to be confirmed at Merc now. Another lovely signing on fee for Toto. Bet it's another 1 year contract so he gets one next year too.

The BBC commentators were discussing this morning a rumour that Alonso could be moving to Williams. Following yet another weekend when Williams are slower than McLaren it seems an unlikely state of affairs.

The BBC commentators were discussing this morning a rumour that Alonso could be moving to Williams. Following yet another weekend when Williams are slower than McLaren it seems an unlikely state of affairs.
It was unlikely before too; the Williams has been weak for the last three races and it seems to be a continuing trend. Stroll or Massa need to be replaced after this season, the car has so much potential at the beginning of the season and they lost out on the points. Now they’re at the back of te grid with an improbable chance of catching up.
Massa was released by Williams at the end of last season anyway and he’s given them all the reasons why it was the right decision.

Never been a Massa fan and never will be, but I don't think William's woes can be attributed to their drivers – Massa or Stroll. The car just don't work round Spa. Maybe another driver could do better, but by how much? Not enough to really count I reckon. And last year Massa quit after Monza, not released at the end, isn't it?

vintly
He was released by Williams, that's why he quit, because he did feel like putting in any effort at a backmarker. The Williams was capable of decent results in the first 6- 7 races and apart from Azerbaijan the drivers f**ked up, especially Stroll, but I can't blame him too much. He's young, inexperienced and Williams brought that upon themselves and now he's on Massas level.
It's no surprise the team isn't moving forward like Force India. They lack common sense and will it seems. In last few years, strategy errors cost them at least one hundred of points over the course of three seasons and for this season they signed a driving pairing which couldn't be any worse, unless it were Narain Kartikeyan and Yuji Ide.

Last edited:

i saw that yesterday thought why would he go somewhere even worse. because even with the terrible honda engine mclaren last 2/3 races pre summer break theyve been beating williams. this last decade of this whole era (09 onwards) theyve very poor aerodynamically in V8 era. only 2012 was alright, but even with the spanish win, they came 8th in constructors. then 2014/15 were only good because of the dominant merc engine, as proved as every yr they've gone backwards. as other engines caught up

any chance has been quashed after todays qualifying with alonso in his honda 11th beating both Williams with Merc engines everyone wants at a top 3 power track up with baku & monza

RasputinLives Well was it in any doubt Vettel was going to stay at Ferrari if Kimi was going to be his lackey?:whistle: The only thing they did not mention is probably a clause in it that Vettel can exercise to leave if the fee has been met probably something stupid like $40m or show

It would be funny if Ferrari go downhill from now on

Rutherford vintly Williams have the weakest driver line up on the grid and it shows . It did not help that Massa destroyed his chassis yesterday which has proven costly

I think if Alonso was in the Williams he could be fighting for podiums at least and get some direction in the team . If Pat Symonds was still around I would say there was a strong chance of him going... or hiring James Key from Toro Rosso who appears to be a very bright engineer.

On what happened today Alonso wanted to hide his frustrations away from the camera that he missed out on the top 10 because the Honda engine lost power which might have made his mind up about Honda . This is just backs up the Honda's boss admission that Alonso had no faith in Honda.

I am expecting Alonso to go backwards in the race given he was being towed along by his teammate to make up the deficiency. Should Alonso go to Williams - well it is good for the shareholders and sponsors plus part of the money from Stroll's Dad will going towards his wages

Would Alonso consider it? there is no smoke without fire and what Williams have been lacking this season is a true No 1 driver which Alonso is.

The only swerve right now is if Mercedes decide to pick Alonso and send Bottas back to Williams or exhange to Mclaren

Mercedes have already have already made up their minds. Bottas has be signed, we’re only waiting for public confirmation.

There is no reason to sign Alonso, he’s extremely talented, but also a prima donna.
I do believe this is Song was written with Fernando Alonso in mind:

Alonso wouldn’t might have been able to drag the Williams into the top 10 yesterday, but that would just confirm what we already know...

Ocon seems so much more mature than Perez in the interviews.
If Force India release Perez at the end of the season, Mercedes could move Wehrlein from Sauber to Force India, because he’ll probably lose his seat to Leclerc anyway.

Back
Top Bottom