2016-17 Silly Season. Drivers Market

Bill Boddy From Williams ' point of view they have some bargaining power given Bottas is under contract with them but once he goes they are going to end up with a much weaker position for themselves

I think Bottas can only go if the replacement for him is one that will satisfy the shareholders and really there are no outstanding candidates out there except maybe Carlos Sainz but he is under contract and Red Bull do not want to release drivers to Mercedes powered cars

RasputinLives Are you sure Toto let slip of the tongue that one of the young guys is going to be promoted or offered to Williams?

Il_leone this is what is holding up the transfer of Bottas, they are going to make sure that they get a good deal, either cheap or free engines. Then he choice of driver may not be as vital.

off the top of my head Williams have had a lineup of new-ish drivers before. In 1994, after Senna's accident they brought rookie David Coulthard to join Damon Hill who at the time only had had a couple of seasons in F1. As per bringing Massa back, I hardly think they'll do it. Mercedes is just putting on a play until they get what they want (free engines).

Bill Boddy If Williams want to be competitive in future years then they had better make sure they have someone capable to help them build momentum

The problem with Button and Massa are they are stop gaps the latter has regressed a lot so I don't see recalling him as a good move

Di Resta has not driven in F1 for 3 years so maybe rusty

Wehrlein - lacks experience and clearly Williams did not want him as it aint going to help them long term

Lynn has no experience but at least he can there for long term you'd think

I don't want to be the Di resta gong banger. But he is their test driver. So he knows the car. And does the pre-arrival set ups at every single track.

Felipe Massa or Paul di Resta; couldn't care less about either of the two.
One is simply obnoxious, the other an average whinge bag........ahhh actually applies to both.

There are plenty of talented young guns out there, Gasly, Leclerc, Rowland, Giovinazzi, etc..

I don't know where I read Wehrlein being overrated but I fully agree. It's like a 17 year old kid scoring a goal in the PL, who is then hailed to be England's next saviour at the WC, turns out he had a lucky day and two years later he's playing at Forest Green Rovers in who knows which league.

Last edited:
FB
A stupid move by Williams in rehiring Massa even Nasr who's had a tough season would have been better..its a typical Williams decision..they might as well recall Mansell

"Nein nein nein">:(:rolleyes::facepalm:

On reading it again the hidden agenda is to say Hamilton is scared of Wehrlein being very fast to undermine him and will repeat a situation of Mclaren 2007. It also tries to big up Wehrlein as the next German hope and has completed plenty of mileage for the team so it appears that Hamilton is the one veteoing Wehrlein .

It actually does not confirm Bottas going to Merc as official ..just a twist on existing stories elsewhere about Massa being contacted possibly to stay on

Last edited:
I would but have 1 of them rookies Rutherford probably replace leclerc with stoneman. But i was watching the journalist special & will buxton made good point that not since their 1st year would Williams have such inexperienced lineup. He can't see 2 rookies when as could be blind leading blind

That is why getting free engines from Mercedes is not acceptable for Williams so they need to keep Bottas and ring as much as money out of Merc whilst trying to find a decent replacement

They have kept Massa because he can teach Stroll car set up. All their eggs are now in Strolls basket and being as he's an 18 year old F3 champ I Don't you think we can be too harsh on Williams for not taking a risk.

RasputinLives I am not advocating Di Resta but the problem with Massa is if Stroll gets beat can we say its a rookie excuse and if Massa has some awful races where he is 15th and soldiering around ..people will say he should have stayed retired and he was already on the wane

If only this came earlier for Williams then signing someone like Hulkenberg or Perez would make sense

Back
Top Bottom