Grand Prix 2015 Monaco Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

There is something - indeed, almost everything - different about the Monaco Grand Prix. Free practice will take place on Thursday, and F1 will take Friday off. The race will be 40km shorter despite having more laps than any other Grand Prix, and its winners will jump out of the car straight to the 'podium', which will be made up, simply, of a red carpet. Most strikingly, Bernie Ecclestone does not ask for a fee from the organisers in order to include the Grand Prix in his Championship.

The track is old: it has scarcely changed since 1929. The building of the Ranier III Swimming Stadium in 1972 still represents the biggest change that has ever been made to the course. It is very slow by Formula One standards - pole laps frequently average less than 100mph, and the shortening of the distance does not prevent the winning time pushing over one and three-quarter hours even when the red flag has not been thrown. Some of that is also because the Safety Car is so much more likely to appear.

The Safety Car doesn't prevent overtaking in Monaco too much more than the layout itself does - with the pole sitter having won every dry Grand Prix there since 2004, with 2008 standing as the only wet event in that period, won by Lewis Hamilton from third having planted the wall at exactly the right moment! Track position is vital; an undercut is difficult to pull off, and passing someone on dodgy tyres is staggeringly hard. Jenson Button and Fernando Alonso found in 2011 that the only overtaking that occurs in Monaco is when they were overtaken by events.

Winning at Monaco is an interesting achievement. It can certainly underline your reputation as a great (Senna's 6, Schumacher's 5 and Prost's 4), although there are some conspicuous absentees (Clark, Piquet, Mansell). Some find a groove there that they don't maintain elsewhere (Webber, Coulthard, Trintignant), and some have their solitary moment in the sun there (Trulli, Panis, Beltoise). Either way, those that win at Monaco will tell you it is the best circuit on the calendar to win on. Graham Hill's legend will always be founded upon his achievements here.

Who will be the 2015 winner? Following on from Catalan victory, Nico Rosberg will be heartened by his own form in the principality, having won dominantly in each of the last two years. He'll also enjoy that Monaco has never served as a favoured circuit to his team-mate Hamilton (whose only win came courtesy of said lucky walling, and has not finished ahead of a team-mate who actually completed the distance otherwise), and has certainly not favoured Ferrari (who have only won there 8 times from their 61 attempts, and have not taken a victory there since 2001). Although the differences at Monaco are often exaggerated, sometimes constructors do find the circuit to their liking if they focus more on aerodynamics than power, which suggests that this may be Red Bull's best chance to challenge Williams this season.

However, predicting what might happen on a Monaco race day is often a fools' game. It could well be a tedious procession, but it could well be full of drama - a good position can often be thrown into the ubiquitous Armco, the lack of new engines for this circuit could lead to one going pop or a frustrated move down at the Grand Hotel could lead to a front-wing buckling. Last year, lest we forget, Jules Bianchi achieved his one-and-only points finish in Formula One - the only points for the new-for-2010 teams in 5 years of trying. There have been many tedious processions here, but there has been 1970, 1982, 1984, 1988, 1992, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2008 and 2011 too. Lets hope to add 2015 to that illustrious list.

Yes Boss ?? LOL

We'll never know and in a way perhaps it's a good thing. It was bad enough to loose the win but to be stuck behind your team mate and not able to get by is something else. You would have to say, given that the team put you in that situation you would expect them to help to put it right.

It's also relevant that the pit stop was just over 4 seconds.
If it had been around 3, Hamilton would have passed the SC line before Vettel.
I think there was around 1 metre in it.

Seems like it just wasn't to be.

Going back to your initial question Mephistopheles :
I thought Brundle's comment was about Hamilton taking responsibility for leading his team (i.e. his side of the garage), not the team, after recognising that things hadn't been going well up to then, encouraging them and himself to 're-set' - i.e. 'we start again from here'. And it worked.

I may be wrong, but I didn't think that there was any inference in Brundle's comments that because of this Lewis was number 1 Mercedes driver.
I posed a simple question and eventually thanks to you I got an educated answer, instead of a load of nonsense...

Cheers..

Some people critisize Hamilton why he wasn't able to pass Vettel on newer-softer tyre:

Comparision Race Maximum Speeds by sectors:
No - Driver - Sector1 - Sector2 - Sector3
5 - S.VETTEL - 204,2 - 190,7 - 270,4
26 - D.KVYAT - 203,4 - 188 - 261,7
7 - K.RAIKKONEN - 200,2 - 186 - 270,5
3 - D.RICCIARDO - 199,5 - 191,5 - 267,7
44 - L.HAMILTON - 198,8 - 186,1 - 265,6
6 - N.ROSBERG - 197,4 - 186,3 - 266,7

And it is significant moment:
"A living dog is better than a dead lion. "

There is possible to pass only due to error of passed in Monaco
But Vettel defended his position very well.
And risk of contact in pass time was big.
What is better: guaranteed 15 points or risk of nothing?

I have only just watched the race as I couldn't be arsed to watch it live and I have no opinion whatsoever on the Lewis thing, someone made a mistake end of...

i've only watched a few highlight clips . Talk about totally screwing your own driver up. This will take a lot out of Hamilton mentally. Best hope he comes back strong in Canada because Mercedes have suddenly given Rosberg momentum and what should be 27pts lead for Hamilton is now only 10pts to Rosberg and 18pts to Vettel.

The next race Canada tend to also throw up a few crazy results as well

Lewis will be absolutely devastated by how he has had the race stolen from him. Can't see how Senna or Alonso would have reacted any differently

What Monaco tells us

Mercedes - still the dominant team

Ferrari - could not close the gap - so appears it does not have quite as good mechanical grip

Teams with better mechanical grip than aero and power - Red Bull and Mclaren who were in higher positions than previous races

Teams who did worse because they relied too much on engine power -Williams - really not even top 10:o and Sauber

1. Stopping his car on track.
2. Knocking over the third place board
3. Walking off after the trophies and not spraying champagne
4. What looked like being encouraged to go back for the interviews as it seems he was off home

So, to those who don't like Hamilton 'selfish prick' to those who do 'really hacked off'.
Of course to the haters if he'd have done none of that he'd have been a two-faced faker for not showing his true feelings. The [usual] haters will hate [as normal].

I think he may have been a bit upset but I reckon he will get over it, it ain't like life or death nor nothink.

I suppose he may be kicking himself as well as the team, after all he could have simply said no I'm not coming into the pits these tyres will do me but thanks for the offer.

Anyway another day and another lesson learned, racing isn't always about doing exactly what your pit crew tell ya, sometimes you just have to trust your own instincts, no disrespect but Lewis does seem to rely far to much on his pit crew and not enough on his own racing ability at times, he has shown this weakness in his character in the past..

The GPDA survey that was sent out asked some questions about our feelings on drivers being too corporate or not able to share their feelings. I answered that I feel very strongly that drivers are too corporate so I like that Lewis was visibly upset at the situation but I think he showed remarkable composure. I feel awful for him but I think he's going to bounce back and dominate Canada

Mephistopheles ..... If your comments are up for debate here's something that's fact so not debatable. The pitwall has access to additional telemetry not available to the driver in the car.

Last edited:
Hey, this is the first time on here we've had total agreement on this board about an incident involving Lewis Hamilton. Oh, hang on, we haven't heard from Mephistopheles yet ;)

Were we to be left disappointed?

I have no opinion whatsoever on the Lewis thing, someone made a mistake end of...

Nope, there it is!

he could have simply said no I'm not coming into the pits...
... Lewis does seem to rely far to much on his pit crew... he has shown this weakness in his character in the past..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom