Grand Prix 2014 Spanish Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Hola amigos!!

The F1 circus rolls into not-in Barcelona for the 2014 Spanish Grand Prix, the fifth round of the championship. As it is the start of the European season, this Grand Prix is usually the scene of technical updates from all teams, or last-minute bits and bobs to hopefully reverse the awful job the engineers did at the start of the season, depending on your cynicism. Now, all teams say that they can get half-a-second per lap, so the field theoretically shouldn't change order, but inevitably this is never the case. So, it will be interesting to see which teams have been overly-optimistic. I mean, there's one thing talking the talk, but can they walk the walk (or in this case just go really fast).

Often hailed as a 'complete' circuit which tests all aspects of the cars - i.e. a byword for producing awful races - the circuit often used to hold pre-season tests, so teams had a reasonable ides of what to expect, but some guy in the FIA decided that it does rain in Spain, and it doesn't necessarily fall mainly on the plain. So the tests were shoved off to the Middle East, and the teams only now have an almost-certain ides of what to expect. Something to point out, though, it is often said by some people that those cars who are good in the (unfortunately) tight last sector should be good at Monaco.

In terms of classic races, er, well I suppose 2011 wasn't bad, nor '91 and '92. Oh, and of course everyone's favourite safety ambassador won in 2012.

Usually it's bone dry here, with the last wet race in 1996, and thus is inevitably more boring and predictable than usual. Stick a hairpin at the end of the main straight!!! But I suppose it'll be good to see a dry quali for once!!

Ready....Steady....Discuss!!

Apparently Renault have threatened to stop supplying engines to teams who fail to pay for the engines .... work out who these could be then :whistle:

This could end up being a Mercedes demolition this weekend ... lapping the field down to 6th or 7th ...

Lotus would be the obvious culprits but with the troubles Redbull have been having lately together with the arrogance of their hierarchy, I won't be surprised if they are holding back payment and demanding changes to the product.

Interesting theory. Can't really see that happening however unless behind closed doors the Red bull Renualt relationship has turned very nasty.

I would be very surprised if its not Lotus.

Mercedes cars dominating P3, although Fernando has just put in a time for third behind the Mercs. Looks like being a Mercedes/Mercedes benefit this weekend, I just hope Rosberg gets a bit quicker so we have a race.

Hamilton still second fastest despite not doing a run on mediums. Rosberg looks a bit quicker today, could be a good fight for pole between the merc boys.

Interesting theory.

I would be very surprised if its not Lotus.

--------------------------------

I can't see anything as to whether this is about just the or more teams.
They didn't say how long they have awaited payments for. Is there any possibility this could be connected with team that are no longer supplied by them, such as Williams?

I'm not sure why Renault felt it necessary to go public without mentioning names? It's almost as though there was something more to it, whatever that is.

Last edited:
To be fair they didn't actually threaten the teams involved they were asked if it was a possibility. Here is the quote :

Jalinier said that while Renault could live with late payments "up to a certain point", the critical point - likely to be the showcase Monaco Grand Prix later this month - was fast approaching.

"It’s just weeks away...then we’ll have to address the situation with the teams and take decisions, because that’s something we cannot carry forward," he said.

Asked whether that could include withholding engines, Jalinier replied: "That is an option. You first need to work with your team and get back to some kind of financial situation."

From Reuters

Charles Pic just saw that on the TV and turned to the mechanics and went "him? Over me? Really?"

Meanwhile the Sauber car looks worse than there driver line up.

Its not exactly the cream of the crop at the moment.

So is Maldonado's sponsorship being used to pay the repay bills rather than Renault or was it used to pay off the people they were going to be made redundant

So how much did Lopes and his cronies keep for themselves out of it

He seems to be having all the bad luck. Which is a shame because there has been so much debate about his fight with Ricciardo and it looks like we're not going to see a straight fight....again!

Back
Top Bottom