Grand Prix 2014 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

So here it is, the season finale and the two Mercedes drivers go in to it with the chance of taking the title. Hamilton leads Rosberg by 17 points so a repeat of the result in Brazil makes Lewis the Champion but double points means that the permutations are almost endless (boringly endless that is).

Two titles have already been sown up. Mercedes are constructors Champions and Nico Rosberg is the Pole Position Champion. Hands up all those who thought he would beat Lewis in qualifying? No one? Thought not. There will be a few other cars and drivers at the race but, frankly, all most of us will be interested in is which of the Merc drivers comes out on top. With 10 wins to 6 Lewis would have won on Bernie's Gold Medal system but then the Ring Master decided that simply winning races isn't enough and to keep things "interesting" decided making one race result worth twice that of any other was a good idea. I wonder what craziness will be visited on us fans next year. Perhaps something for a separate discussion.

Back to the race, this is the one which starts in the sunshine and then gets dark and it has the weird pit lane which makes the cars look like they are leaving a multi-storey car park. For anyone going, Ferrari World is just outside the circuit, somehow I don't think it will be Ferrari World inside.

Anyone got any other thoughts? Can Williams steal a win? Will McLaren carry on improving? Will this be Jenson Button's final race in F1? Sebastian Vettel will be saying goodbye to Red Bull, Sutil and Gutierrez will, most likely, be saying goodbye to F1 and we've already said goodbye to Caterham and Marussia.

Hope you are sitting comfortably, let the final race begin.

Last edited:
Brogan That's exactly what I meant to say a few posts back but was too drunk to articulate properly!

There's a vcancy for you as my personal PR if you're interested...

I think we are talking about two different flexings here. In the past it was done by layering of the carbon fibre such that it passed the various stationary load tests but flexed in different ways under aero load. I always thought that while it wasn't in the spirit of the regs it passed all tests and was very clever.

This flexing was of the very illegal type or so it seems. I must admit I haven't read or seen the full findings / alegations. As I said, from the picture in Scarbs blog it's the vanes on the wing flexing back.

That is clearly different from the ends deflecting downward which was the issue with the 2010 to 13 wing.

True,
But we don't know what secret stuff RB had in the vanes then, or elsewhere.

Stuff like this is always going to raise questions.

I do think Rosberg could mess up things by deliberately slowing up to allow the Williams to get close to Hamilton

There is no point him disappearing because I don't think Williams manage their tyres as well as Mercedes race pace wise.

Last edited:
eye brows might be raised

Not sure if disqualifying all their season results can happen but the benefactor of that would be Rosberg because he finished 2nd behind Ricciardo in 2 of the 3 races Daniel won

It would mean checking on what modifications had been made throughout the circuit. If there has been no modification to that particular part then it could be assumed to have been present from day one of 2014. However, it would take a lot of time and effort and the FIA might even decide that whilst all Red Bull's points were to be nullified that the prior the points scored by other teams be left alone.

When BAR were caught they didn't lose their points from previous races. It is just too difficult to change a result which has been declared final.

Right.
But the WCC results were not final.

Even then, there is precedent with Tyrrell.
If the FIA/WMSC really wanted to, they could annul everything.

Back
Top Bottom