Grand Prix 2013 Bahrain Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

So we move to the Bahrain International Circuit, Sakhir, Bahrain. It is a country of great beauty, of civilisation and diversity; but just what attracts F1 to this corner of the world, this archipelago with just over 1 million inhabitants? Well, of course, “oil, stupid!” I hear you cry, but no, there is more than just that; as an influential economic trade centre with huge investment in tourism there’s far more than just the black, smelly, slippery stuff to attract the attention of Bernie and The Circus.

Before oil there was an historic background to interest the mightiest of classical brains; the years before the arrival of Islam were rich in culture as this conduit for trade and knowledge soaked up the influences of Egypt, Greece and the other “advanced” cultures of their times; on the arrival of Islam the intellectual and scientific knowledge flourished through years of political turmoil and threat from external sources, all contributing to the emergence of strong rulers and attracting continued interest from larger, more distant powers.
Portugal, Britain, Egypt and Persia focused on manipulating the region for greater gain as the area became yet more strategically important – then came interest from Uncle Sam in the form of oil prospectors Standard Oil when up through the ground came a bubblin’ crude. While initially this caused a closeness with Britain (who invested then saw great returns through oil revenues) soon it was Iran who showed interest, and the Persian influence was revisited until Bahrain’s independence in 1971. Tension between the three bubbled for the next 30 years until Emir Al Khalifa (who then became King) rose as leader and began a series of reforms which gave freedoms and rights to many. Shi’ite Bahrainis have complained of prejudice, causing a fragile politics in Bahrain, culminating in the commencement of open protest during the Arab Spring. The human rights record of the current regime is under scrutiny frequently and it is this which has made this F1 event as divisive amongst fans as it is. “Systematic Torture” is used by security forces to threaten, frighten and secure information and the control of media causes a bias in information within the country.

"Just what attracts F1 to this corner of the world?" F1 is, of course, attracted to Bahrain by money.

What’s this got to do with us, though? Well, the first Bahrain GP was held in 2004, winning the title of “Best Organised Grand Prix” for that year and was won by Michael Schumacher.
Yet it’s the years 2011 and 2012 which have caused most discussion due to the cancellation in ’11 and non-cancellation in ’12. Vettel’s Championship in ’11 would not have been altered had an additional GP been run, neither would his 2012 victory have been threatened had Bahrain been cancelled so why can political turmoil and human rights be a critical influence one year and not the next? Perhaps it doesn’t matter and the Formula 1 World Championship is all that matters, this is not the place for such a discussion but perhaps you’ll do me the favour of reading this:
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/04/11/sport/motorsport/bahrain-grand-prix-arrests/

So where are we now? With a great display from 3 time Bahrain winner Alonso, a super early China performance from 2 time Bahrain winner Massa and great Lotus, Merc, Red Bull and McLaren performances on 14th April what’s going to be the view on a winner? All the top 4 teams appear to be able to get one strong finish which makes for a real tight picture so I’m not putting anybody’s cash on a punt! The stewards may be in with a busy time, too, as some of the skill levels we’ve seen have caused them so much work over the China weekend. We’ve seen chewing-gum tyres causing dull qualifying with split race strategies and an unusual grid; with high Bahraini track and air temperatures surely this will be the best test so far of aero, strategy and driver skill. I don’t think the circuit is too dissimilar to China but grip levels with the sand will be a challenge, my surprise is that we still have the same questions unanswered regarding the respective qualities of the teams.

I hope you enjoy the race, despite it being my least favourite, and I look forward to your comments.

But he can still bitch about it.

Imo DiResta flattered to deceive, he had a food start but barring the Ferrari problems he would have finished 9th at best.

I though Perez did a great job....I like the way he is fighting back...get in there Sergio & show the world what we saw glimpses of last year
Why is David Coulthard on the podium chat again?..is he still employed by Red Bul?l....FFS now Droner is biggin it up....:sick:
How on earth they have the nerve to call it ..'The pinacle of racing'....is beyond me...
But I love the racers who play by the spiirit of the rules............& just hope that it improves & those who flout the rules & use them...not in the spirit that they were intended are down the line....
With all the crap flung at him this week-end....LH drove a stonker of a race....makes me proud to be a Brit.:thumbsup:

Amazing how both Hamilton and Button are both bigging up the fact that neither of them are anywhere close to winning a race but "the cars are great and the racing's great" When they get back close to the front will they both be as miserable as sin as normal?

Pirelli blaming punctures for delamination.....I know it was warm out there but that seems a touch shady to me, on some cars that tyre wasn't presentable. tyres deflate when they get punctured, they don't shed down to the carcass in seconds.

Why does he get away lightly with his collisions with other drivers?

Ridiculous really, in Abu Dhabi he caused 2 collisions blatantly his fault and recieved no penalty, or was it 3 collisions?

Maybe they feel sorry for him that he's not getting Red Bull's support.

Eck what a difference a week makes.

This race was awesome today, thoroughly entertaining throughout and really good overtaking maneuvers.

Well Seb won this race by starting the way he did, was important he overtook Alonso in the first lap and make that overtake on Nico 2 laps later, those were awesome. After that Seb did what Seb does best and went and hide for the rest of the race.

Kimi - awesome strategy work from the team got him his second place today. He kept it cool and made some awesome overtaking moves on Webber and Di Resta.

Romain - nice to see this lad hitting form again. He needed this race weekend like this. Strategy was awesomely worked out for him and some cracking overtakes on the Mclarens, Webber and Di Resta secured him a repeat podium for the second year on the trout at Bahrain.

Paul - Strategy was good and almost pulled off an awesome podium finish. Thought he was awesome throughout the weekend and even though the podium was just out of his grasp, he pulled out his joint best result in F1. I hope this can see him kick on for the rest of the season.

Lewis - From what was an average first half of the race to an absolutely breathe taking finish to the race for Lewis. Some good battling with Webber at the end saw him claim an awesome 5th which wasn't looking likely at half race point.

Sergio - back on form and had his most impressive outing of the season so far. Was mightily impressed with his attitude all weekend and thought he drove a good race and wasn't to aggressive but just enough to show he wanted to fight for a place.

Webber - Pitting first at the last stop out of the three stoppers hindered his chances of a 5th place today. But still he drove a decent race but he'll surely be questioning way Seb won and he was no where near his pace.

Fernando - aw, I didn't think I'd ever say this but today I just wanted to give Fernando the biggest hug ever. I feel so sorry for him he could have been up there fighting for a podium finish. But the blooming DRS failure on his car cost him and could prove to be the thing that might cost him the title come the end of the season? However, what a result finishing 8th with no DRS?

Nico - was a rough day for the young lad. Starting on Pole and finishing 9th really wasn't what was in the script for him. But that Mercedes especially under Nico is terrible on it's tyres in the heat. However, did well to bring the car home in the points from a 4 stopper.

Jenson - awesome scrapping with his team-mate. Really will bring the best out of Jenson, but he chewed his tyre's up with all that fighting today. However, considering the team didn't think they'd have a hope in hell's chance of getting both cars in the points today was an awesome race.

As for the rest:
Due to all the action up front from 11th down to 21st was just a mystery - but I'm sure they was some decent scraps further down the field.

But for Massa and Sutil this was an opportunity missed through bad luck and a silly incident respectively.

But good race and thoroughly entertaining :).

BUT WHY THE THREE WEEK WAIT FOR THE NEXT ONE AGAIN? I WANT MORE!

Four races live even though I work Sundays? That's a good record compared to last year.
Even so, despite having a holiday from work, the damn idiots are calling me in >:(.

Thorougly enjoyable race. Even though that pesky Triple World Champion ran away with the race after 5 or so laps in. Great race, I have nothing against this track, I think mainly because of the 2010 race the track gets a lot of unfair criticism.

Lovely battles throughout, DRS was less of an issue than in China. Finally they figured out that putting two DRS zones one after the other is not ideal, hopefully they'll learn from it.

There wasn't even a phase of the race were there wasn't any action, great racing all around, apart from Webber's brainfart.

The winner and championship leader looked posessed at the start. Getting ahead of Rosberg was crucial and he knew it, looked at one point they might have collided. But didn't, put on a great move on the oppurtunist Alonso after the latter got past into Turn 1. Controlled the race once he past Rosberg which took a little time, and went on his way. The scary thing is, Vettel could have easily done a two stop, so that could be an ace taken away from Lotus. Looks like a firm favourite for the title, in saying that though, Alonso looked like the favourite after China.

The Kimster started from 8th, went into 6th on lap 1, then dropped back to 9th. Costly? Yes so in my opinion, could have challenged Vettel, if he qualified well, or if he got a better start. Another missed oppurtunity for a race win in my view. Quiet race, but good recovery, stays in touch with the championship.

A strange strategy by Grosjean, was going to do a 2 stopper, but had to revert to the three. Have to say, made it work very well. Started from 11th well, hung in there. Much improved race craft, a few good overtaes. The new chassis seems to be working from him, but he goes from Mr. Smiles to the Brood very quickly. Excellent race from him.

The moodiest driver on the grid equals his best race result with 4th. Another driver that made 2 stops work, some great pace from that car. Held on to 3rd for sometime, that was until the Grosjean charge came about. Says he's happy with 4th, and so he should be, the the 3 cars infront were faster. Hulkenberg must be annoyed with the switch to Sauber.

Anonymous for the first half of the race, but recovered to 5th for Hamilton. A bit confused on why they ran the medium tyres on 2 stints if he struggled on them. Once on the hards he was back up there, had a ding dong battle with Webber for the final few laps, and eventually passed him on the last lap. Moves up to third in the championship. Not sure where they are at, ahead of McLaren anyway is all I can say.

Perez has his best race without a strategy advantage. Really seemed on it today, irritating his team-mate Button throughout the race. Was a bit too aggressive, and in my opinion always has been, but it was great to see him up there. First time in 4 races he's looked to match Button, and infact beat him by some margin, doing a pitstop less than Mr.Smooth. Big confidence booster for him, looking more like a McLaren driver.

Don't know what happened to Webber, he looked set for 2nd place at one point, but just slipped all the way down to 7th. Didn't show much of the pace that Vettel had, apart from after the first round of pitstops. A clean weekend from him on the team front, but yet has to get to get rid of his dodgy driving, despite being near retirement age. Escapes a penalty with a reprimand after his collision with Rosberg, although a penalty may have been harsh.

Dodgy Reduction System (DRS), ruined Alonso's races early on. Twice he had to pit for the flap to get closed, forcing his strategy to get ruined, from then on it was damage limitation. Without DRS for the whole race, and making an extra trip to the pits compared to everyone else, he still managed to recover to get some valuable points. Sits 4th in the championship, that's one driver and team failure out of the way this season for him.

Rosberg was very aggressive today, showing everyone that despite being called 'Britney' he can be manly. Although he was lucky he didn't come across with Alonso in this race, as we might have heard "ALL DA TIME YOU HAVE TO LEAVE A SPACE!!!!!! OKAY?!!" again, not that I wouldn't have mind, as I still find that gives me a chuckle. Having to do 4 pitstops compared to some doing 2 is a bit ridiculous really. Must feel nothings going right for him this season after starting from pole and finishing in the position his team-mate started in. He gave us some great racing today, top lad.

Mr. Smooth complaining about his team-mate when he was also aggressive himself. Not liking Perez racing him? Not sure many would as he is nearly on Maldonado level, but even so it wasn't as bad as he made it out to be. Was going well for most of race,that was until he had to make another stop, wouldn't like it getting manners put on him by his 22 year old team-mate.

Maldonado finishes in his best position of the season in 11th, but some way off the top 10 runners.

Not looking good for the midfield teams, Sauber, Williams and Toro Rosso seemed to have slipped back a lot compared to the rest, didn't see much of them at all in this race, would be worried if I was one of their drivers, doesn't look promising.

Two punctures for Felipe baby, must feel hard done by, what are the chances that two random punctures/delaminations would happen on his car? Loses out on points and ground to his team-mate, didn't seem to be awfully quick, struggles on the medium tyres, unlucky for him, as that's the tyre that's most likely to get used for the rest of the season.

Pic 'n' Mix did well today, albeit with the half a second upgrades, nevertheless, beat Guitterez and was close to Ricciardo.

Guitterez just looks like an amateur, he wasn't sure he was ready for F1 himself.

Hopefully the winner of this race won't dominate the season or the rest of the races and will give someone else a chance.

Stupid 3 week breaks. >:(

Back
Top Bottom