Football 2013/14 season

Who will win the 2013/14 Premier League?

• Arsenal

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Aston Villa

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cardiff

• Chelsea

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Crystal Palace

• Everton

• Fulham

• Hull

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Liverpool

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Man City

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Man Utd

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Newcastle

• Norwich

• Southampton

• Stoke

• Sunderland

• Swansea

• Tottenham

• West Ham

• West Brom

• Total voters
Hope Moyes stay's, he is doing a great job in making Manchester United fail to qualify for the Champions League.
I wonder if the Sunderland fans wish that they had Paolo Di Canio back as there manager after there performance on Saturday.

Right the Ballon d'Or shortlist. Let's look at the contenders:

TBY.png

Now considering those three "defensive" midfielders aren't really all that defensive anyway, and of the attacking midfielders one could argue that Muller, Ozil and Iniesta aren't averse to a bit of wing play, this seems a very, very strong bias to a certain type of player that does not reflect who the best footballers are.

Essentially, this award's top three are Manuel Neuer, Phillipp Lahm and Thiago Silva*, who by their very nomination have been considered the very best players in the world in their position. In Lahm's case, across two positions.

No manager would ever pick a team made up of predominantly forwards; this list is incompatible with the days of the bloody WM formation. While a predominance of attackers like this exists, it only serves to reinforce the view that FIFA thinks that the vast majority of a football team do not matter.

The very idea of picking a best footballer in the world is ridiculous, name me the guy on that list who is better than all the others at all the jobs on the pitch. Toure is the closest to a generalist on there. But the fact that the world seems to have misunderstood "best footballer" as "best attacker" is a tragedy and a shame. I would, admittedly, prefer to watch Messi than Busquets, Ronaldo than Ramos, Ribery than Boateng, Van Persie than Carrick, Lewandowski than Gundogan. But I'm sensible enough to say without the defenders, goalkeepers and midfielders, such brilliance would not be possible, or for nought.

And how many of Luis Suarez' 10 game ban did Liverpool actually win? It was too many to suggest that he's an influential figure, no? Now, let's look instead at Vincent Kompany...!

*Yes, I misspelt it

In the opinions of a majority of journalists, that is the case. I think there were a couple of defenders, who were voted for but didn't recieve enough votes to make it onto the shortlist.

I'm still in a state of shock after FC Kuala Lumpit managed to beat the Swans yesterday. It was made all the worse that a former Swans player scored the winning goal.

If they can't produce a reasonable list, then they shouldn't bother.

In your opinion it may not be reasonable. That's why there are a number of journalists. I can't think of many more defenders that could make it on the list. Even the defenders of Champions League finalists with the exception of Dante weren't convincing enough to actually justify being a nominee.

Since the Ballon d'Or has been awarded it seems it has been very biased towards the offensive players anyway.

Every player has an equal chance to be nominated in the pre-selection, thus equality is given.

Picking two players for each position would actually distort the overall picture and it is unlikely that such a system would enhance the chances of being voted for, as they - the defensive players - are likely to have recieved less votes in the pre-selection than the offensive players, therefore the final result, the top three players, would not differ.

Last edited:
Fair play to Ashley Young if he doesn't make it with the England squad for the World Cup in Brazil next year, at least he will make it to Brazil in 2016 as part of the Great Britain diving team for the Olympics.

Back
Top Bottom