Pre-Season 2012 Testing: Barcelona

I see what you're saying.I just saw that they had to ask the other teams for permission to use a 2nd chassis during a test. I guess it makes sense as teams are only allowed to run 1 car during a test and therefore technically they are running a 2nd car during the same test as they are using a new chassis. After all Sky Sports F1 reports:-

"Red Bull are bringing out a new car for the final two days of testing. Full story and interview with Ted coming up.."

I find this one a bit strange.When Lotus had their problem at the first test with chassis 01 at Barcelona they initially intended to fly out chassis 02 to replace chassis 01.In the event chassis 02 had the same problem as chassis 01 so they abandoned the test.
But at the time there was no question as to the legality of swapping the chassis over.

I was only half serious; it's much too late now to be testing a new chassis, isn't it?

It raises a few questions though with two possible scenarios.
Either Red Bull planned this all along.
Or, very, very quickly they have had a new chassis designed, built, crash tested and homologated.

Impossibly quickly in fact.

Knowing how Red Bull operate and how they like to deceive and obfuscate, I would tend towards the former rather than the latter.

Or, final scenario, it's not a new chassis at all and is just a load of new parts.

Pre planned eh.Considering its about a fifteen hour trip from Enstone to Barcelona that seems to bear that theory out.

I find this one a bit strange.When Lotus had their problem at the first test with chassis 01 at Barcelona they initially intended to fly out chassis 02 to replace chassis 01.In the event chassis 02 had the same problem as chassis 01 so they abandoned the test.
But at the time there was no question as to the legality of swapping the chassis over.

Well seeming as they never brought out their other chassis and cancelled the test we'll never know. I do not think it's this big bold rule that Red Bull had to get all the other teams to agree to, I think it's more to do with the unofficial set of rules that all of the teams abide by, such as the "mandatory" summer factory shut down. I don't think Red Bull "had" to ask for others' permission, but did so out of good manners so to speak. For example, Lotus asked all of the teams if they could have an extra days testing and the teams all agreed, only for the FIA to then stop them. Lotus did not ask all the other teams because they would be doing something out of the official rulebook, but it would be something that could infringe the unofficial testing agreements between teams. Therefore it's only courtesy to let other teams know and make sure there are no objections.

I was only half serious; it's much too late now to be testing a new chassis, isn't it?

It raises a few questions though with two possible scenarios.
Either Red Bull planned this all along.
Or, very, very quickly they have had a new chassis designed, built, crash tested and homologated.

Impossibly quickly in fact.

Knowing how Red Bull operate and how they like to deceive and obfuscate, I would tend towards the former rather than the latter.

Or, final scenario, it's not a new chassis at all and is just a load of new parts.

It has been confirmed they are flying out a new car/chassis:- http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/12475/7560474/Red-Bull-flying-out-new-car-

I do not see why this is much of a big deal as they have 2 cars anyway come Melbourne, they've probably just sent the 1st one out for the 1st 2 days and because they have significant upgrades, rather than sending the parts to the track and having them bolted onto the 1st chassis, they'd put them on the 2nd in the factory and send that out to be used.

LH-testing-front wing.jpg

Some interesting photo's flying around but this one, besides being delicious and my new desktop background, clearly shows McLaren have a backwards bending front wing - or a very good optical illusion of one! Interesting.

So it's the same chassis then, just with new parts bolted on.

What a non-story...

I don't understand what you mean. It is not the same chassis, obviously the chassis at the track today is different to the one they're shipping out tomorrow. If you mean "different" as in it's going to look massively different, then no it probably won't, although it may have some minor changes to incorporate their new upgrade package. I think it is a worthy story because it is unusual for a team to ship out a new chassis during a test when they have no issues with the one there. It just causes speculation as to what exactly these new upgrades comprise of. Naturally with Newey being involved and rumours of something innovative, it's going to get people talking? No?

I thought for a minute that there was a chassis with a different spec to the one which has been tested, and was about to comment on their ability to design and build 2 different chassis within the budget cap.

I would add, that the ability to build a "B" spec car (possibly) is still a little tough to take in the context of the budget cap, especially as like the season just gone, there will be new packages throughout the year, including Monza.

I don't understand what you mean. It is not the same chassis
The same homologated chassis.

As I said, it's a non-story.
They're just saving time by doing the work in parallel at the factory while they continue testing at the circuit.

The option would have been to stop testing early today and work overnight to swap the parts.

It makes far more sense to do it back in the UK and ship the complete chassis out.

It makes far more sense to do it back in the UK and ship the complete chassis out.

It is a bit of a non-story, but the fact that they think it makes more sense to bolt the bits on back in the UK and then ship it out suggests that they're going to be trying a LOT of new parts.

The same homologated chassis.

As I said, it's a non-story.
They're just saving time by doing the work in parallel at the factory while they continue testing at the circuit.

The option would have been to stop testing early today and work overnight to swap the parts.

Agreed."much ado about nothing" seems appropiate.

McLaren have a backwards bending front wing - or a very good optical illusion of one

If that is a reverse bending wing then thats inspired, as it'll allow them to run the car lower and not have the wing grounding out on the straights.

That is a great shot of the Mclaren and an interesting find in regards to the wing angle.

About the new RB chassis coming to testing tomorrow, I may be wrong but I believe that if the chassis is the exact same but with new parts bolted on that the whole exercise is a colossal waste of money. I am sure the team would have just pulled an all nighter to have the car ready to go in the morning.

We may be reading too far into this, but F1 Deffinately leans towards the dramatic.

Back
Top Bottom