Grand Prix 2012 Singapore Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

From the sunshine, trees and Ferrari madness of Monza to the water front and arc lights of Singapore, F1 begins the long haul end of the season with a night race at imaginatively named Marina Bay circuit. McLaren have won the last three races but Fernando Alonso still retains a significant margin in the Drivers Championship going into round 14. Last year was a Red Bull walk over but this year the Bulls have been somewhat castrated and Monza proved a real low point with a double DNF.

Lewis Hamilton's pole to flag win in Italy must give him great hope of chasing down Alonso's Championship lead, hopefully the on-going contract shenanigans won't distract him in the City State race. Don't under estimate Ferrari however, Massa showed good pace at Monza and Fernando Alonso is the only multiple Singapore GP winner in the field, one win behind matching Graeme Lawrence's three victories (look it up if you don't believe me).

After a pulsating second at Monza Sergio Perez must be hoping to go one better this race as his Sauber, through a combination of out right pace and strategy, was chasing down the leading McLaren towards the end in Italy. Whether their usual unusual strategy in Singapore will reap the same dividends remains to be seen, perhaps it's Kamui's turn?

The one man destruction derby that is Romain Grosjean will more than likely be back in the Lotus after Jerome d'Ambrosio put in a workman like, but less than stellar performance, standing in for the Frenchman. Kimi Raikkonen must be hoping the Lotus works better around the streets than it did on the high speed Monza track although fifth wasn't a bad result. Mercedes will, doubtless, continue in their position of best of the rest although Force India were their usual speedy selves around the open curves at Monza and will probably push the Mercs close.

Of the rest, what can you say? Williams - the tortoise and the hare incarnate, albeit the hare seems to have a habit of breaking a leg a little too often. Should we run a sweep on whether Pastor or Romain will punt another driver off first? The back of the grid are using the Noah principal and will come in "two by two", in qualie at least. This is a special race for Narain Karthikeyan as it marks the anniversary of his début at HRT having driven the Spanish shit box in free practice last year. Money well spent...

Pointless fact about Singapore: If you cross into Malaysia with less than 3/4's of a tank of fuel you will be fined $100 dollars.

Circuit write up is here: http://cliptheapex.com/pages/marina-bay-street-circuit/ enjoy!

Oh Lord,

I see on GPupdate.net that Senna says he will really have to push tomorrow! So far this weekend, he hasn't been able to keep it on the island at the best of times. I guess we can rest assured that he will hit the wall (or another competitor) tomorrow for sure, now!

heres one for the trivia buffs, when was the last totally dry race that was stopped at the 2 hour mark?

It may not have been stopped for the 2hour mark, but I know the 1989 US GP in Phoenix ran over 2 hours.....

EDIT: just checked the details - yes it was stopped 6 laps early.....

Chad Stewarthill.....:) To be honest Chad, Lewis should win this one but I still think tyres will play a major role. I'm even wondering whether some might run two stints on the super softs and chance an extra pit stop bearing in mind they're between 1.5 and 2 plus secs a lap quicker. It's a long pit lane though and they pay a much greater price for pitting than at any other GP. I'm not suggesting Alonso can win it but despite his comments I don't think the Ferrari is as bad as he's suggesting. If you look at the sector times in Q3 you'll notice that the 3 tenths that cost Alonso either 2nd or 3rd on the grid were lost in the first sector. The only driver that bettered his sector two time was Hamilton and in sector three Maldonado and Hamilton, Maldonado by a tenth and Hamilton by two tenths. There's no way he would have won pole but if he hadn't lost those three tenths in sector one he would have beaten Vettel, Button and possibly Maldonado. I think this one could go to Button, don't ask me why because I have no idea at all. Cheers Chad, enjoy it. :D

Unless it's yesterday then it's tomorrow!

Should be an interesting race tomorrow, although the McLaren's look very quick, particularly Hamilton, but the joker in the pack is Maldonado, what he does will be interesting.......

To say the least MCLS and judging from the GP2 race, tyre management will be everything and the the two Mercedes starting on the harder compound tyres, with the likelihood of a safety car could be a very astute move, I see this more as a game of chess than a race.

What surprised me is that Vettel, on a track which Red Bull are usually very good at, was a full half a second slower than Hamilton. While it is a long lap it's still a considerable margin considering the one lap speed of Vettel

MCLS.....If he didn't make an error you'd have to put it down to tyres. Evidently the supersofts can't complete an entire lap at qualifying pace before they start to lose grip so that rules out a driver being able to better his time on a second run. As I said on an earlier posting Alonso lost 3 tenths in the first sector but was quicker than Vettel or Button in sector two and three though I'm not sure why he lost out in sector one. He may have been nursing his tyres in the first sector knowing he couldn't get a full lap out of them. Evidently that was a choice a lot of the drivers were having to make. What will be interesting is how long the supersofts will last in the first stint considering they've already taken a couple of laps out of them, less in Alonso's case as he only did one flying lap. One thing we do know is the front of the grid are all starting on tyres that have lost there edge, far more so than at any other GP.

True Mephistopheles but managing tyres is another skill for drivers to contend with. It was something drivers had to master in the earlier years of the sport and added to the interest, for me anyway. Some of the most spectacular racing occurs when cars have far more power than grip. The only time it's really occurred in European racing was in the thirties during the Silver Arrows era. In modern times we only see it in Sprint Car racing in the states. 600 plus horsepower on a dirt oval. Singapore doesn't compare to that but it's probably the only circuit where power over grip becomes a factor and it will almost certainly affect the outcome of this GP.

Maybe I've had a long day and shouldn't watch these things when I'm tired and grumpy but, **** me, that was DULL. In fact, regardless of what the commentators say, with their faux excitement, F1 2012 has been dull all season. Sanitised and sterile, old men hanging about who should just sod off (Yes Michael and Kimi I'm talking to you). Ugly, identikit cars, every circuit looks the same apart from the amount of daylight or a change in the weather. Robot drivers and team officials frightened to give an opinion. Contract negotiations generating more interest than the racing.

F1 has plumbed new depths in 2012 and is starting to lose me as fan. I'm not sure what I want from F1 but what I do know is that this isn't it.

the last 3 races in singapore have been won by the polesitter,hopefully lewis will make it 4.the last time he got pole in singapore he won the race.he just needs to get off to a good start,and hope that maldonado slows everyone down behind him.and if theyre fighting with eachother for track position,that should take more life out of their tyres.i hope alonso finishes no higher than 5th.

Maybe, just maybe, the Vicar's "previous" might help pay LH back a bit for Valencia. If Pastor has actually learnt anything he will behave well but those behind him might still be wary of getting alongside. Or he might just sense win number two and go for it...
Hell, I think I might just have to shut my eyes at the start.

Back
Top Bottom