Grand Prix 2012 Australian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Gentleman, start your engines

Despite it feeling only a few weeks since the season ending Brazilian Grand Prix last November the Australian Grand Prix is coming very quickly into view to start of a season which hopefully promises to be a lot closer than the 2011 season where Sebastian Vettel ran away with the Championship and had it virtually won by mid season.

Looking at testing and it is virtually impossible to see who is in the best shape going into the season opener apart from that Mclaren and Red Bull are the two teams in the best shape which really isn't surprising but the big surprise is the continual lack of pace from Ferrari despite a radical new car (the issues I commented on on a previous thread).

As for the midfield it is anyone's guess as all the midfield have all been up and down the testing rankings throughout the winter and it'll only be qualifying where we see a true reflection of where the grid is in terms of reliability. Without a doubt Lotus have had the most work to do after they had to make a major chassis change involving suspension mounts which meant abandoning one of the test sessions but that doesn't seem to have had a major effect on the team and with Kimi Raikkonen at the wheel it is hoped that they can challenge Mercedes after a fairly disappointing 2011 after a strong start.

Once again HRT are the joke of the entire grid as they once again go into the first race of the season without having so much as turned the wheel before after crash test problems earlier this year and it will be a miracle if they actually qualify as they failed to do so in Melbourne in 2011, but they could be joined by Marussia who have also had problems with their new car and have had to test with a modified 2011 car recently and they will also be struggling to even qualify for Melbourne which isn't good news for the team unless they can pull a rabbit out of the hat with the new car.

This seasons cars (apart from Mclaren) are characterised by the distinctive stepped nose due to new regulations about front wing height and this is how the vast majority of teams have interpreted this rule and it seems that only Mclaren are running a 'smooth' nose and it remains to be seen whether this was a correct decision and one that can mean they can challenge for the title after an average 2011 (unless you're Button of course)

For the British viewers 2012 is going to be a completely different viewing experience as Formula One is going to be broadcast on satellite television for the first time. When it was announced that Sky would be broadcasting F1 with BBC showing only half of the races (live) it was met with uproar from all quarters but as more details have been announced, many fans (me included) are rather looking forward to the full F1 package that is being provided this season with the F1 channel being launched in a matter of days!

For Galahads brilliant circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/melbourne-grand-prix-circuit-albert-park/

And as you've said in the past, the reason why it'll be hard for either driver to win a WDC while in the same team.
Not if only one driver keeps getting in front it wont..

Also it only makes a difference if they are line astern if one of them is further down the pack they would call it on the bases of bringing him out in clean air.

Doesn't change my observation though.

Seb is quite cheeky. It's well know that he's cut-throat behind closed doors and he doesn't miss many chances to turn the screws on his opponents while grinning from ear to ear.

Not if only one driver keeps getting in front it wont..

Highly unlikely. Lewis will consistently out-qualify Jenson, but that's really his only advantage these days.

He never even acknowledged Button in Canada last year, which is why I think like you said it is gamesmanship, nothing wrong with that mind you, they all do it..

Vettel said in the press conference that he reckoned he could have got second with or without the safety car and to be honest without the macca's doing the quick shuffle he may have been right as Whitmarsh alluded to in his interview..

P6 would have been monumental for Williams today. Binning it on the final lap was an egregious error. Think of the cost in parts and man-hours that lie ahead in a fly-away week now instead of good feelings throughout the team from a solid points haul they should have had.

Maldonado has royally cocked it up on both occasions where he was heading for a great finish. This one being worse than Monaco I'm afraid.

I know you never miss a chance to have a go at Senna, but to tout Pastor's effort today is a little much.

I can appreciate that you have a different opinion and up to the last sentence that's all it is - fair play - but I don't like that you're saying I'm only applauding Pator because he's Senna's teammate. Please tell me one thing I said about Senna in my response that isn't true? It's my opinion that Pastor put in a gutsy performence, so I'd rather you didn't say I only think that way out of some fictional spite. I felt bad for Pastor when the cameras cut to a shot of his car smashed up in the road because I felt he outperformed his machinery, and definitely his teammate. I ribbed Massa just as much as Bruno, because he too was all over the place and way off his teammate.

Senna had an atrocious qualifying.

However, he also was performing relatively well in the race, albeit being hit by anyone and everyone! His race was ruined on the first lap when the Torro Rosso clouted him! From that point on, he was never going to be in a position to challenge - yet managed to get close to a top 10 finish when Massa decided to start hitting cars again!

Maldonado is NOT a slow driver. Senna is NOT a slow driver. Get over it whippet! Both of them deserve places in F1 - ok so both may be prone to mistakes, but who isn't?!?

Get over what? I just gave Pastor massive praise and defended him. Infact I said he was one of standout drivers of the weekend. I pointed out Bruno's mistakes because they happened. If I missed some great moments he had please point them out rather than telling me I never miss a chance to have a go or need get over "it."

Please tell me one thing I said about Senna...

Your overall posting history led me to my conclusion.

But if you'd rather have people believe that you seriously respect a performance which should have resulted in 3 more points than Williams scored ALL of last season, but then didn't because of a fruitless effort to harry a double WDC in a non-overtaking spot, then by all means contnue this nonsensical theme.

I can appreciate that you have a different opinion and up to the last sentence that's all it is - fair play - but I don't like that you're saying I'm only applauding Pator because he's Senna's teammate. Please tell me one thing I said about Senna in my response that isn't true? It's my opinion that Pastor put in a gutsy performence, so I'd rather you didn't say I only think that way out of some fictional spite. I felt bad for Pastor when the cameras cut to a shot of his car smashed up in the road because I felt he outperformed his machinery, and definitely his teammate. I ribbed Massa just as much as Bruno, because he too was all over the place and way off his teammate.

Get over what? I just gave Pastor massive praise and defended him. Infact I said he was one of standout drivers of the weekend. I pointed out Bruno's mistakes because they happened. If I missed some great moments he had please point them out rather than telling me I never miss a chance to have a go or need get over "it."

Apologies - I got slightly riled up - and slightly missed the gist you were going for! However, I would still like to defend both Maldo and Senna - many people have said that neither deserve their seats in F1 - I would argue that both of them are perfectly deserving - yes Senna had a wretched weekend, but so does everyone. - But I think what some people are going to do is say "Maldonado is a pay driver, therefore he is rubbish", then say "Maldo beat Senna this weekend, therefore Senna is rubbish". - Since the first statement is patently not true, then that makes the second statement arguably not true!

Think that Maldonado is going to have to put his hand in his pocket to pay for the damage that he caused to the car today. Up until his crash he was doing a very good job in the race.

Apologies - I got slightly riled up - and slightly missed the gist you were going for! However, I would still like to defend both Maldo and Senna - many people have said that neither deserve their seats in F1 - I would argue that both of them are perfectly deserving - yes Senna had a wretched weekend, but so does everyone. - But I think what some people are going to do is say "Maldonado is a pay driver, therefore he is rubbish", then say "Maldo beat Senna this weekend, therefore Senna is rubbish". - Since the first statement is patently not true, then that makes the second statement arguably not true!

I say Senna is a pay driver but I wouldn't care if he got results. At nearly 30 Grand Prixs I see no evidence of decent results so I do ask what he's doing in that drive when there are a lot better drivers sitting watching the race on TV. I couldn't see Barrichello being that much slower than Pastor. I do realise its his first GP and I could be proved wrong but I don't think I am.

I don't mind a pay driver, my avatar is Pedro Diniz, I mind a driver who doesn't get results.

As for Pastor being champ or chump I think both arguments would be stupid. The guy did a great job but dropped it and I've seen many drivers do the same including a certain Lewis Hamilton at Monza a few years back. Someone needs to sit him down and explain sometimes its best to curb that racing instinct and bring the car home. But chump? no because he showed the team he has the pace and the will to race - tactics can be learned that can't.

Friday (Local Australian Time)
0100: Moderate or Heavy Rain Showers (7.3mm*) 0400: Light Rain Showers (2.5mm) 0700: Patchy Rain Possible (0.5mm) 1000: Cloudy Skies (0.0mm) 1300: Partly Cloudy Skies (0.1mm) 1600: Light Rain Shower (1.8mm) 1900: Light Rain Shower (0.7mm) 2200: Partly Cloudy skies (0.1mm)
Saturday
0100 Clear skies (0.0mm) 0400 Clear Skies (0.0mm) 0700: Partly Cloudy skies (0.0mm) 1000: Cloudy skies (0.1mm) 1300: Sunny Skies (0.0mm) 1600: Sunny Skies (0.0mm) 1900 Clear Skies (0.0mm) 2200: Clear Skies (0.0mm)
Sunday
0100: Mist (0.0mm) 0400: Mist (0.0mm) 0700: Mist (0.0mm) 1000: Sunny Skies (0.0mm) 1300: Sunny Skies (0.0mm) 1600: Sunny Skies (0.0mm) 1900: Clear Skies (0.0mm)
There is a 5% chance of rain on Sunday, but it does look likely to rain, but we are predicted a dry. It would be a shock rain shower though if it does rain!
I'm pretty sure I've got this one right! 1-0 me!

If your referring to Button, he's always had the pace, just not the team or car. When he won with Brawn the great British knocking machine went viral and said it was the car. Those who have followed his career and understood the difficulties he has been faced with in the past know he's always been top draw. I hope people start to realize that and give him the credit he deserves. :victory:
^Yeah, this^ Shame I can only like a post once!

McLaren's policy is that the lead driver gets the choice of when to stop first (As it is with other teams with the exception of Ferrari I suspect.) they can't go changing this on the fly it wouldn't be fair.

I understand this policy but I also think in certain circumstances they should do what's best for the team, so long as it won't hurt the driver in the lead. Had they brought Lewis in first, Button would have still stayed ahead and still had a comfotable lead to Vettel, but it would have ensured that Lewis got out in-front of the traffic and would have pretty much gauranteed a 1-2.

As it was, the extra lap Lewis stayed out, he lost nearly 3 seconds to Vettel on that 1 lap, in other words his tyres had dropped off the cliff. In the two previous laps he lost nearly 2 seconds - so he lost 5 seconds over the space of 3 laps. Jenson also lost about 1.5 - 2 seconds before he pitted.

Basically, McLaren should have pitted 1 or 2 laps earlier than they did and then they could have pitted Jenson first and not caused much damage, but Jenson always likes to try and stay out a little more and that consequently hurt Lewis. I also get the feeling that McLaren rely too heavily on their super computers and mission control for making decisions about when to pit in the race. There have been many occasions when they've been losing huge amounts of time and haven't pitted for no apparent reason. All one can think is that their strategists had planned a 2 stop strategy and until they had done the correct amount of laps for the first stint or got into the first pit stop window, they weren't going to pit them.

Back
Top Bottom