Rugby 2011 Rugby World Cup

Its so close now you can almost touch it.

New Zealand beat Tonga at RWC2003 in Brisbane by 91-7! I'm not sure this time it'll be quite that scoreline, but having said that I wouldn't rule it out either.

Call me crazy, but I can see Wales making it to the semi-finals this time. I'm no rugby expert, but if they can surprise the Springboks in their pool game, the draw opens up quite appealingly.

I can't really get a handle on England. Some are saying they're potential finalists, some that they might struggle to get out of the pool. Maybe both?!

Call me crazy, but I can see Wales making it to the semi-finals this time. I'm no rugby expert, but if they can surprise the Springboks in their pool game, the draw opens up quite appealingly.

This would definitely be the best chance for them to top the group. SA might take some time to get going if at all

Current odds

Screen Shot 2011-09-06 at 12.23.53.png

With England's pool, it may be a case of who can thrash Romania and Georgia by the most points- as it could end up with Argentina, Scotland and England all losing just one each. If England don't get going (remember last time when America were beaten only 28-10), we could be the ones dropping out.

Pools A and C look pretty settled- New Zealand and France could probably play their 17th best team and get through that pool, whilst Ireland and Australia will have to be a little careful that they don't choke against Italy- but they should also waltz through.

If South Africa and/or Wales perform poorly, they could get tripped up by Fiji and Samoa- Fiji beat Wales in '07 to qualify for the quarter-finals last time round.

Can't see past the Tri-Nations teams plus England, or maybe France, to make up the semis.

Ireland look like they're set to be as bad as last time... so more crying in my beer for me, come 2nd October. :(

Looking forward to it though . . . and hope I can get the RTE commentary to go with my Polish TV coverage. :)

With England's pool, it may be a case of who can thrash Romania and Georgia by the most points- as it could end up with Argentina, Scotland and England all losing just one each.

Scotland humped Argentina (several times) back in June last year. I can't see Argentina finishing better than 3rd.

It will probably come down to the England Scotland game as to who wins the group and plays New Zealand (assuming they win their group). All things considered it may be best to come runner up and play France instead (assuming they are runners up).

Kick off in just over two hours. Yippeeeeeeee

Some how I've just got this feeling that it won't be a great year for the Northern Hemasphere teams. I don't think any of the 6 nations are in the best of positions and to my mind are going to struggle.

The last Rugby world cup was one of the best ever in terms of the development and break through of the smaller Rugby nations but sadly nothing has been done to help keep that momentum up. Argentina will join next years tri-nations tournament however in the 4 year gap since the last RWC they've lost most of their experienced players and they still struggle to get teams to tour Argentina. Even worse, for the smaller nations who play very little rugby at all, I can see their being some huge scores against which does them or the game little good at all.

If New Zealand can handle the pressure of a home crowd and keep their nerve this time, I can't see any other team winning it.

If the admins start getting uppity, who do we appeal to? Is it the other one?

The quick throw-in for Tonga in the first play really set the tone for the day on this one.

With England's pool, it may be a case of who can thrash Romania and Georgia by the most points- as it could end up with Argentina, Scotland and England all losing just one each. If England don't get going (remember last time when America were beaten only 28-10), we could be the ones dropping out.

It may very well be the case that bonus points will be vital. Ireland's failure to pick up a bonus point (or get near one) against the Georgians in 2007 was what really ruined their chances of progress since scoring 4 tries against Argentina was going to be difficult.

I can see Georgia, in particular, frustrating someone in a bonus point chase.

Back
Top Bottom