Grand Prix 2011 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

This one's gonna be a classic.......

After the utterly amazing Indian Grand Prix where it's facilities wowed pretty much everyone worldwide and to be honest we are so lucky to have an Indian Grand Prix at the moment........

Thats would you would think if you were the BBC or any major commentator, for the fans it was a pretty dour race with little or no action throughout apart from the now routine crash between Hamilton and Massa and the rather humerous reaction of Rowan Atkinson in the Mclaren pitlane.

Sebastian Vettel continues to dominate the 2011 season with yet another win in the old jewel of the British Empire with Button consolidating his position in the WDC with another second place as his stock at Mclaren continues to rise.

However at the other side of the garage things aren't quite so rosy with Hamilton adding to his list of high profile accidents which included yet another crash with Felipe Massa. But this time it was Massa who was given a penalty as it was perceived by the stewards that he had turned in on the Mclaren, a decision which bemused the Brazilian as he felt he had given Hamilton enough room and he had the racing line, but both sides (and fans) have differing opinions and a definitive answer is unlikely to come any time soon.

Ferrari and Alonso continue to go through the motions as they wind down and focus on their 2012 after a poor season by their standards, while the car hasn't been awful like their 2009 car, Fernando is rarely anywhere other than third or fourth come the chequered flag. Ferrari have been a team that has been caught out my the ever changing EBD rules and clarity over this for 2012 should help them regain top end competitiveness at the start of next season.

In the midfield it is still close as drivers are fighting for championship places and also contract extensions as very little has been agreed for 2012 although we are now in November and approaching the second last race of a very long season. At Toro Rosso Jaime Alguesuari continued his impressive turnaround with yet more points in India to take his season haul to 26, more than Paul Di Resta and 11 more than his team mate Buemi which could be crucial with the likes of Ricciardo waiting in the wings for a possible seat and there is always the possibility of a Red Bull seat at some point in the future as there is still a question mark about Webbers future, particularly past 2012.

We go to Abu Dhabi for the third time and while the first two races have been pretty lacklustre with a lack of action and overtaking (just ask Alonso), with DRS maybe we might have more this weekend, but then, we can only hope really, just like we can hope Vettel isn't top of the podium by Sunday evening, but that usually ends up to be false hope as I expect another dominating performance from the young German.

For Galahads supreme circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/yas-marina-circuit/

It was not a bad race, as shocking as the bad markers where, they probably added more excitement to it, it got quite boring towards the end.

Vettel had a great start, after two corners it seemed as if he was away! Then boom! I quite enjoyed Alonso's start same with Rosberg's.

Did the double DRS zone work? Hm...looking at Buemi vs di Resta, I thought it was quite terrible. But it worked ok afterwards.

Really annoyed again, Buemi once again beating Alguersuari quite comfortably, also in the points and for the 3rd time in the second half of the season has to retire through no fault of his own when good points where available. There is no way he's beating Alguersuari now, you can tell by the poor guys face that he's dreading the end to the season. Really hope he doesn't get dropped.

Thought Alonso and Rosberg had great races, along with Sutil who was ahead of Schumacher for the first 2 stints (I think), di Resta and Kobayashi did well too. Hamilton also had a good one. Webber as usual is just a mystery, Massa wasn't doing too badly until he had the spin.

Williams where running well it seemed, but think Maldonado once again two races in a row cost them points because of a drive through penalty.

All I can say, is that this race was better than India and Valencia hands down.

Having just watched the re-run of the start it looks like Vettel's tyre failure was pretty catastrophic so was more than just "a puncture". Shame for the boy but his luck had to run out eventually.

Maybe some of Hamilton's detracors, will now give up on their tiresome criticism of Lewis being incapable of managing his tires.
Equally, maybe, Lewis's 'greatest fans' will stop their endless harping on about how he was robbed and the 'world is out to get him' pronouncements.

Lewis is a brilliant racer who has had a bad year - it happens to the best - he seems to have got over that now.

I have to say I really enjoyed the race today in Abu Dhabi. I think DC summed it up after when he said although Alonso and Hamilton were not racing wheel to wheel, they were in an almighty battle, trading blows throughout the race and although traffic was a bit frustrating for them, it actually made it quite exciting. If Alonso had of not been held up by a HRT and also had a slow pit stop then he would have come out neck and neck with Hamilton.

I really appreciate both of their drives today and I cannot choose between them.

Jenson also drove another great race to say he lost KERS for quite some time. Almost every race he goes up in my estimation with regards to his overtaking and defending (or re-overtaking).

I felt sorry for the Torro Rosso's who were looking very competitive until their problems. I think they deserve to finish ahead of Sauber and I think Brazil will suit them very well with medium - high speed corners and the uphill straight where their DRS will shine.

I loved this race!! Didnt think it was boiring either because 3rd 4th and 5th were all up for grabs and until the last pitstop 1st and 2nd werent certain. And people could overtake.:D:D . But what was with Webber backing out of all those overtakes and then going like a bullet at the end?
And Massa should study this race to see all the people being overtaken and not turning in on the guy doing the overtaking.

I also wasn't definitely bored, and wanted Alonso to get on those hard tires as quickly as possible towards the end of the race, because of the problems that they give to Ferrari. Fernando drove a great race today, always's lurking about waiting to pounce on Lewis if he made any mistake.

I was glad to see that Lewis jumped that barrier to greet his team, and his.....Mom. .:thumbsup:

Good Move!!!!!

If Alonso had of not been held up by a HRT and also had a slow pit stop then he would have come out neck and neck with Hamilton.

The gap between Hamilton and Alonso after the stops was over 2 seconds, Alonso lost a few tenths at most behind the HRT. Definately didn't affect the outcome.

As for Abu Dhabi I enjoyed the result but the race was pretty bland. I didn't like the 2nd zone in that it allowed the driver to repass instantly.

Rumour has it the floor caused a puncture on Vettels car

Or maybe it had something to do with the extreme cambers that Redbull run against Pirelli's advice, who knows! When Hamilton's front wing sliced his rear tyres at Silverstone last year, he still managed to negotiate a few corners and made it back to the pits. I get the feeling there is more to this than a normal puncture due the the sudden nature of tyre deflation. Whatever it is, I hope Pirelli are more forthcoming with the truth than Redbull.

Equally, maybe, Lewis's 'greatest fans' will stop their endless harping on about how he was robbed and the 'world is out to get him' pronouncements.

Lewis is a brilliant racer who has had a bad year - it happens to the best - he seems to have got over that now.

I can be included in that list of one of his 'greatest fans', but I'm not in the camp with those, who feel that the.....'world is out to get him'.

I can be included in that list of one of his 'greatest fans', but I'm not in the camp with those, who feel that the.....'world is out to get him'.
Glad to hear it! Sorry if you thought that my comment was aimed at you.

Back
Top Bottom