You've all been looking for the wrong thing!

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
A scientist from the Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence - SETI (I kid you not, this organisation exists) has told other scientists that they have all been looking for the wrong thing. Apparently, a la Terminator, the world will be run by sentient machines in the near future as the step from making wireless communication to machines taking over the world is, in evolutionary terms, a very short one.

So all the people with huge government grants wasting their staring into the skys looking for other life forms shouldn't bother with the carbon based variety. One has to presume that if we do make contact with these super machines they will pop down to Earth and wipe us all out as inferior life forms. Maybe time to stop wasting all that money chaps and let Mrs Wiggins of 23 Acacia Gardens have that hip replacement she's been after before the carnage starts - it would at least give her a head start trying to get away from Arnie and his mates.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11041449

As Monty Python pointed out:

So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure
How amazingly unlikely is your birth
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
Because there's bugger all down here on Earth

I also seem to remember some clever guy saying that if ETs were trying to get in touch with other worlds then they certainly wouldn't transmit signals in the galactic background noise range that SETI currently monitors...

Why?

Because a likely advanced civilisation would still have similar concerns that we do with regards to resources, and it would simply be too damn expensive!

LOL

We has a chuckle about this in work today, when you get to the point where you are so terrified of admitting your methods of finding life are wrong - that you have to come up with the theory 'in order to find life we should look for robots in dead space'....

I think its at this point the Egyptologists are calling to ask for their river back :snigger:

My favorite part of SETI is how they decided that all civilisations use radio signals to communicate with each other for the rest of time ROFL

Back
Top Bottom